Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default How often do I need to work out to maintain muscle?

So I try to exercise every day, or at least not skip days often, so 5/7 days usually. But most of that is not all that strenuous. A lot of that exercise is walking a couple miles, which is ok, but probably doesn't build any muscle. I would say that I only do strenuous exercise 2-3 times a week, and I don't do any weights.

So my question is: am I likely to be getting anywhere, or will my strength pretty much stay the same? I was hesitant to do weights because the last time I was regularly doing both weights and gym classes I hurt myself, but would it help to do weights on days I don't do classes? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #2  

Hurting yourself likely had more to do with how much weight you were lifting and what your form/technique was. Most workout programs recommend weightlifting 3-4/week, to enable both recovery and regular progress.

If you aren't prioritising strength and hypertrophy in your workouts, you're unlikely to develop strength or hypertrophy.

You may need to sit down and list what your goals are - that will help direct/structure how you choose to program your workouts.

Last edited by Defining; 07-01-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

To clarify, my primary goal is weight loss, but a part of that is building muscle so that I burn more calories throughout the day. Strengths is a minor goal, mainly because I want to be able to keep up at the classes I'm taking.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #4  

Well depending on the classes you're doing and your individual physiology, you may build some muscle, but not much.

A pound of muscle only burns ~50kcal/day, so it's not a huge contributor to fat loss in that sense. However, resistance training has many additional benefits; such as increasing strength and stability to help prevent injury, adding muscle to the 'right' places to improve overall aesthetics, helping to remediate muscular imbalances, hormonal reactions and EPOC after anaerobic activities, etc.

But I think you've answered your own question: if you enjoy the classes you're attending right now, stick with that! If you plateau, or get bored with the classes, then you may decide to swap a few out classes for lifting instead. But I generally understand that you're better off to ensure proper recovery time between intense workouts, rather than working yourself into the ground by adding too much all at once.

Have fun! 😊

Last edited by Defining; 07-01-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #5  

If you were actually asking if weight training would be more effective though, I'd recommend reading through this article:

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

It's supported by good studies, but written in an accessible prose
Old 07-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #6  
Captain Prescriptivism

Dang! I guess I better start doing weight training! Like everyone else, I SAY I want to lose weight, but what I mean is that I want to lose fat.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #7  

😄 You and me both friend. Remember to have fun with it, that's the only way you'll stick with it long term. (speaking from personal experience)
😉
Old 08-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #8  

to maintain muscle you need to eat the foods that high-protein foods ,Fruits ,water (3 liter in day) ,high-calories foods , and do workout .
if you just do workouts ,you will can not maintain muscle ,
you need of something gives them energy to work .

like the car engine ,It's needs fuel in order to function, but it also needs the oil so as not to burn
abede is offline   Reply With Quote