Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #124

Good Afternoon! The wind is blowing and the sun is shining. The bank that the gift shop uses was open today so I picked up the money and made the deposit. Also had some checks to write so dropped those off on my way to buy diet food at the vet's this afternoon. The furnace guy finally came today. I hope he knew what he was doing because he was only here about a half hour. He said there are no leaks and he oiled something, but otherwise it's good to go. Yay! He did say we should get a plug-in carbon monoxide detector. Bob is farming, has singing practice this afternoon, and will go back to the farm afterwards.

Maggie, I hope you have a great day!

I need to make a copy of my report and put my gift shop bookwork away for another week. Wish I had a spot/desk big enough to count money and just leave everything together without having to put it all away each week. Enjoy the rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all. I woke up needing to go to the bathroom and just decided to stay up for awhile anyway.

I have two doctor's appointments tomorrow one of which is a weigh in for the Belviq so we shall see how that goes. I know my blue jeans are way too big in the waist and keep sliding down so that's a good thing.

Yesterday was kind of nuts. I have been working to get my circles cut out to make my tree skirt on Saturday and then we spent several hours at the dealership getting paperwork done and such. We saved about $5000-6000 on a new car with my brother's plan from Ford and I am now the proud owner of a Lincoln MKS. Jack has to go out to the credit union after work and pick up the check and take it back to the dealership today than it will be all done. Oh my gosh this is the coolest car. I got to drive it home last night. It has movable pedals and so when I get in I can not only adjust the steering wheel up and down and back and forth, I can then make the pedals go back or up so they are just at the right level for me. The information can then be saved for up to three drivers so when you get in you just push your button and it adjusts automatically. It is easier for me to get into than the Mariner too because I don't have to step up into it. One of the cool things is it has voice commands for most stuff. You can set your gps, have it turn on the radio to your favorite station, hands free phones, it had 10 speakers in it and on and on. Jack says we need to take the owners manual to a park with the car and just practice to find out how to do everything.

My son's sweatshirt should come today and my scale on Thursday. I had to order new undies to take on the cruise and they just shipped them.

Maggie: Happy Bday.

Jean: Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a great birthday today. You three ladies are all clumped together along with Jack so it is easy to remember. I am sure you enjoyed having a counting day off and glad the bells worked out on Sunday. Our corn is already picked and done with but they haven't started on the cotton yet. I wished we didn't have a fireplace as to me it is a big nuisance. It draws spiders and makes awful noises when the wind blows and we never use it anyway as it takes wood. We don't have any gas in the house at all.

Everyone have a great day. I am going to sit and cut out more circles until Jack gets up I think. It will be so great to be able to go places and not have to take Jack to work.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Thuesday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MGNOLIAS
☺♫

Not much going on here today ~ Will is at the hospital getting a treatment which is the first of maybe a few or many for it depends on the first ex-rays they take later. I have been putzing around here making it neater. Beanie spends much time outside on a long lead talking to the cows. I think he is really enjoying living out in the country. At night we can hear the coyotes calling to each other. I don’t know if Will will want to eat much for dinner but we have a nice microwave that can thaw something quickly for it is a nice convection microwave.

Thank you gals for the nice birthday wishes and I wish all of you having birthdays around this time a very happy one also.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-13-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! The wind from yesterday has finally settled into a slight breeze, it's sunny and cool in my neighborhood today. I was "off" in my church posting this morning and went back through everything twice more. We had a lot of memorial money this week and now I am second guessing one of my entries. I'll have to remember to check it next week and get it fixed if I put the giver's contribution in the wrong place.

"Gma," On your new car! What color is it? I know you will enjoy all the luxury plus having a car available whenever you have an appointment or just want to run an errand. Hope the doctor appointments go well. Don't lose your pants! We converted our fireplace to gas when we added on. Dumb! The idiot who built this house put the furnace thermostat right across from the fireplace and then the stairs are right in line, straight shot upstairs. All the heat goes upstairs and the only warm spot is right in front of the fireplace beause the furnace won't run.

Maggie, you posted while I was typing. I certainly all goes well for Will with his treatments.

I have laundry in both the washer and dryer, and both should be done. I see the fur bunnies have multiplied again. We are heading to Sioux Falls for football and soccer this afternoon so vacuuming can wait. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #5  

Good morning all. Cool this morning but should be another gorgeous day.

I have my two appointments today, one with the pharmacist and one with my gyno. We shall see how all that goes. Had to get up early even though I don't have to take Jack to work as my apt is at 8 but I have to be there no later than 7:30 and I have to shower and get some morning shores done and a couple other things before I leave. I am going to just take an apple with me to eat for breakfast rather than try and rush around and make breakfast and clean it up and such.

Looks like the Cubbies are going to the championship series. We watched the game last night and were on pins and needles. I yelled at the screen one time they had better not make me be biting my fake nails! They were actually only behind in the first inning than stayed even then went ahead but always makes me nervous when they aren't way ahead.

Maggie: Hope all goes well with Will.

Jean: Our car is black with black interior. I found out yesterday that my brother put the doors and the hood on my car!!! I told him so I can come and kick your butt if the doors fall off? He laughed and said, "yes." All the black Tauruses and MKS's are made at his plant. Jack picked up the check yesterday and delivered it with the title copy of the Mariner to Autonation so now the car is truly ours. I set up the insurance when we got home that night so it is fully insured too. Hope you didn't make a mistake on your church stuff. I saw the pic of your grandson playing the violin. I hope he enjoys it.

Everyone have a great day.

Last edited by gma22; 10-14-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's another nice day in my corner of the world. I had lunch bunch this noon and it was nice to catch up with everyone. Bob is farming and won't be home for another few hours. My bell practice is cancelled for this afternoon because five ringers have to be gone. When I came home after lunch, I followed a police car into the park. He turned down my street and I could see the flashing lights as I drove to my house. The ambulance was parked in the street across from the driveway next door and another police car was in front of my house. They were loading a person into the ambulance and there was a bike laying on the grass. I couldn't see the person on the stretcher. Our street is a dead end so not much bike traffic, and the man next door does ride a bike. The guy across the street was talking to the police officers; he just retired as an EMT from the hospital. I'm going out to get the mail and hope he might be working outside so I can ask him what happened. Scary!

We got home later last night because we went out to eat after the games. Ian made a touchdown and his team won, 18-8. Zowie's team also won, 2-0. They each have two games left and then we are done for this season. Next year Ian's games will be later at 6:30 which will make it even later for us to get home. We might have to start staying overnight!

"Gma," Bob brought home a bag of apples from the farm yesterday. They are kind of tart, although so good. I'm going to see if I can find an apple crisp recipe for two. I was surprised Ford is making the Taurus again although Bob thought it was dumb when they quit. He has ridden with the adjuster who drives one, and really liked the car. We had a Taurus many years ago, and Bob's dad accidentally backed into it when we were home on vacation from Ohio. I hope your appointments went well this morning!

I need to get up and walk so I don't fall asleep! Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. Cool, but nice this morning. It is supposed to be really warm today, upper 80's then drop into the 60's for highs. Crazy, crazy but no rain in the forecast at all.

My doctor's appointments were great. They are letting me continue on the Belviq and then there was the gynecologist. We had a long talk and discussion about the whole female thing. I am waiting to hear back from his scheduling nurse because I have to go into the hospital and have an hysteroscopy? done so he can see anything going on inside the uterus then I have to get my regular doctor to sign off on fit for surgery. We will then schedule surgery for right after the first of the year for a hysterectomy. He is hoping to do it lapro, but it depends on what he finds when he gets into there as far as scar tissue build up and such so he may have to do an incision or if he finds it isn't safe pull out and not do the surgery. I just want him to try.

Jean: How long does Ian play as far as date wise? I would imagine you will be getting snow in the not to distant future so was just wondering how long the season is. Congrats to the kids on the great games. I bought these apples called honeycrisp and the are wonderful. They taste a bit like a delicious but much sweeter and are a nice crisp apple. The are fairly large and are red and yellow combo. Oh my, I hope your neighbor isn't extremely ill or hurt somehow.

Everyone have a good Thursday. I have a couple errands to run and I need to cute the skirt fabric for my tree skirt. I have all the "disks" cut to sew onto the white fabric. I think I cut about 200 of them.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titillating Thursday

☺♫

It is a tad bit windy here today. Yesterday one of the neighbors cows broke down a portion of his fence and that cow didn’t know how to get back home for evidently it forgot where the fence was down. That cow was over here bellowing until it’s owner came and retrieved it and mended the fence. The cows here didn’t seem to mind having that stranger visiting at all for they just kept doing what they usually do. One extra bovine in the area didn’t seem to faze them at all. Beanie did have to go out there and give that cow “what for.” Guess because all the noise that strange cow was making Beanie decided he didn’t belong over here. I love living out here on this ranch.

Will is getting lots of rest after his first chemo treatment and is snoozing in an easy chair. It takes a couple days after treatment for his body to bounce back for that stuff that is slowly dripped into his body is a poison after all. Everyone at this hospital has been so good to explain things and be helpful. It is a great place to get treatment for sure.

DONNA FAYE How nice your doc appointment went well and Belviq is doing well with you. I imagine your new black vehicle is a nice vehicle. Have a wonderful time driving it.

JEAN Hopefully that bike rider will be OK. Wonder what happened on such a quiet street. Good feeling for those kids who one their games.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-15-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's raining leaves as I look out the front window. We are in a frost advisory for tonight. I know it's coming but I'm still not ready for that nor when it will be dark at 5:00! The "boys" had a little discussion and boxing match this morning so I have fur bunnies to vacuum this afternoon.

"Gma," I'm glad the appointments went well. Hopefully you will have a plan of action in place asap. Ian's last game, for his 7th grade team, is Tuesday, October 27. Then he will start practice for the select team. Jason said the kids are from a 50 mile radius so I would think their practices would have to be on weekends but he didn't know. The Mpls. game will be inside, thank heavens. Our Honeycrisp apples aren't so big this year. They are good! I haven't seen the guy across th street to ask about the bike accident.

Maggie, I saw the bike riding neighbor's car in the driveway, yesterday, when I went out to get the mail. I didn't see him though. I hope Will feels perkier after his nap.

I need to write some church birthday cards and get them out in the mailbox. I've added two extra days for delivery because our idiot mailman comes so late, and I know they spend the night in our post office before they head down to Des Moines and back here for delivery. Stupid! Hope you all enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
]
Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. Cool and going to stay that way the next 10 days at night and regular 70's daytime temps. We are having no burning now and air alerts because of lack of rain. The city had some real trouble with some burning issues earlier in the week. On top of the fact we have had about 10 murders and/or shootings this week. A postal worker found two brothers dead at their home a couple days ago. A guy poured gas on his girlfriend and lit her up, some creep killed a baby and on and on. The people are steaming about the violence but won't pay higher property taxes to hire more police, which we desperately need.

Kelly is still not able to eat very well so we postponed the lunch and sewing. I told her just to wait until she gets back from her trip next week. She is going to Indiana for a class reunion. I am taking the Halloween and birthday stuff over to her house today since Thomas is on school vacation this week (I have no idea why they are out of school for the whole week.) I texted him and told him if he wanted that Nonny would take him for a burger and even let him ride in my new car. He texted back at 10:30 last night, "Ok, sure,"

Nurse called and said it might be Monday before I knew what date my test was scheduled for. I have to do labs and get an ekg before it though.

Jean: It is kind of stupid for something that is delivered there in town to have to go to Des Moines first but I guess it has to hit the main post office and be sorted out from there. Jack is going to blow leaves tomorrow and I am going to do what I can to help. They have really piled up.

Maggie: Glad the rancher didn't lose a cow and Beanie didn't get hurt.

Have a nice weekend. We are going to the movies tonight to see "Bridge of Spies." It is the Tom Hanks movie about the Soviet Union and the US exchanging the American pilot, Gary Powers for a Russion spy back in the early 60's and using an Insurance Lawyer to make the trade.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, NO wind so far, and it was 32 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. Brr! It was more than a little nippy when I went outside to feed the squirrels and cats this morning. I need to sort out my summer capris and t-shirts and bring out the sweatshirts today. I have a load of laundry in the washer and a pile of clothes to put away from the dryer. Bob left for the farm early; they had a major breakdown yesterday so didn't get a good start until mid-afternoon. The weather is supposed to hold over the next few days.

"Gma," I got two items that I ordered on-line, both delivered by UPS late yesterday afternoon. Both packages, one box and one bag, were so filthy dirty I hated to even take them into the garage. I have complained before and told that the trucks are cleaned every night. My retort is they need to make gravel road deliveries last, and figure out how to seal their trucks better. I now the truck driver rang the bell and ran because he was long gone by the time I got to the door. I would love to visit their powers-to-be and lay the filthy things on their clean (?) lap! Now I feel better! Thanks for reading my vent! I like Tom Hanks but didn't think, from the previews, that I'd want to see the movie. Let me know how you like it. How much does it cost to go to the movie where you live? Here it is $6 for senior citizen and $8 for adults. I know you will enjoy seeing Thomas.

I need to get busy and accomplish something this morning -- make a to do list if nothing else. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Frindly Friday

☺♫

We just got back from taking Beanie to the groomer. She does such a good work with him and his tail goes a mile a minute for she always picks him up when we take him there. We know he is in good hands with that nice lady. When she calls that he is ready to be picked up we will go back to town. Right now Will is napping and needs his rest so we will go in a bit.

Will feels a lot better today. A couple days after his treatment of poison he mostly sleeps as long as he has the drip bag on. Now the drip bag is off he can get back to his old self then go for another treatment and the cycle repeats itself but each treatment is less poison than the one before. It is designed to kill of all those little legs so the cells die for they can’t get their required nourishment of blood sucking on a person’s veins with those little tentacle legs. I think it is so neat that someone came up with the drip that kills those legs and the cells lose their grip and can’t get any nourishment so they die. They will run some more tests on him during the treatment to determine how many treatments he will need.

I will sure be glad when the guys go back to the house and bring back all that we have packed there. I want to get started back on some doll making for I need to be doing something constructive. It isn’t hard to get this space in the MH in proper shape which is important. Dishes especially need to be kept up for there isn’t a dishwasher except me in this MH.

JEAN We are still in Summer mode here but I don't know how long. That driver ran back to his truck because he didn't want to hear your complaint I imagine.

DONNA FAYE Beanie doesn't get in the same pasture with the cows. He just stands near the fence and talks to them.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies! A cool 54 degrees right now. I had to give in and turn the heat on. It was in the 40s during the night.

I don't know where the time goes anymore. I didn't think it had been so long since I posted until I started reading yours. Shame on me!

Happy belated birthday, Jean and Maggie.

My foot that I had surgery on before is acting up again and I'm seeing the surgeon on Tuesday to see if he thinks he needs to do something. I know the podiatrist said I didn't need the screw that came out, but ever since it came out the foot has been getting worse. My big toe is pulling back and arcing up and it hurts a lot.

I have been at war with Verizon over my FIOS bill. My bundle was $79.95 a month but they put 2 tvs on the original bill which meant I'd have 2 DVR which are extra. I called and had one taken off. Then they sent me a revised bill with a batch price of $134.95. I called again and the Indian who I could hardly understand could only get it down to $119.9 plus he doubled my internet speed and I got a bill for $174.63. I was boiling at that point so I went on their forum where I found lots of people with the same problem. I posted my problems and asked if they could fix it or if I need to talk to my lawyer and FCC. They sent me a message that I need to post my original order on the forum. I told them that wasn't happening, I then was given a link to a support rep to chat with online. Went there, he also said I need to post the order. I told him I wasn't going to and the other people I talked to were able to see tham all online and miraculously he could too. After much back and forth he said I had to talk to Customer Service again and I told him absolutely not since they said they had already done all they could do. He kept me waiting for nearly half an hour - probably thought I'd give up. In the end. I not only got the original $79.95 a month but also a reduction of $20 a month for the 2 years of my contract for my "problem." I love the service but the billing about did me in.

Faye, I'm glad you are finally getting some help. It's a shame you had to go through it for so long. Wow, a new car! Wonderful.

Jean, any news on the emergency vehicles? If I don't vacuum every day I look like I have cotton growing on my floors. Casper has do much hair and I brush him every day!

Maggie, what large city are you near? Texas should be warmer than KS. I'll put Will in the prayer book again. I hope they can get your stuff soon. With a small place to care for, I'd be crazy with a few projects to work on.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! I've been reading my book, waiting for the dryer to finish. I'm trying to get motivated to clear off the kitchen counter and bake some frozen cookies that I think I bought from Zowie about a year ago. She is selling them again so mine have to be old. I wonder if they are any good. It's sunny and cool in my neighborhood today. Bob is farming again but the elevators close early on the weekends so I need to think about fixing something for supper.

Maggie, did you own the house in Kansas so that you have to sell it? I hope you get the rest of your things soon. I'm glad Will is feeling better.

Susan, I agree about how fast time flies! I'm so sorry about your toe! I hope you won't need surgery again but if that will fix the problem this time that would be wonderful. I wonder if the rep you talked to is the same one I spent two hours with when I was trying to get my iPad fixed. I hate when they don't speak plain English! It sounds like a good deal in the end! I haven't seen the guy across the street to ask about the ambulance but did see the garbage can out, and the mail box flag was up next door.

Not much is newsy from here today. I need to get busy or the day will be gone before I know it. Hope you all are enjoying a nice fall day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-17-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #15  

Good Morning! It's another beautiful morning in my neighborhood. We've been to church and out for breakfast. The restaurant seemed to be extra busy today and we waited a long time for our food. Bob said it was a good thing we didn't go to eat before church. He is getting ready to leave for the farm, and there are lots of crooks and crannies I could dig into. Not sure I'm that ambitious today. I think I will read the papers first.

Since it is "quiet" here I guess I will read the paper then see what chore interests me. I'd really rather read my library book. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and do something nice for yourself!

Last edited by Jean; 10-18-2015 at 12:52 PM.