Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/242/150

Height: 5'2"

Default New here-what do you eat for breakfast??

Hi, my name is Danielle and I'm new here. I recently decided to cook and eat more healthy in an attempt to change my family's lifestyle and lose weight. I am just stuck because I just can't come up with a good breakfast plan. I am a very picky eater, I don't like hot cereals or eggs. Obviously bacon, sausage, etc is out. So I have been eating bagels with low fat cream cheese every morning for breakfast. And its getting old lol. I was hoping to get some new ideas for a good, well rounded meal. Thanks.

Dani
Old 05-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #2  

I eat an all bran cereal, weighed out, and skim milk. Yeah, I'm Ms. Excitement over here, alright. But that aside, it does work for me.

And welcome to the boards! Love seeing new members show up.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #3  
singletrack chick

I am on a total cottage cheese kick right now. cottage cheese and apples, CC and bananas, cc and starwberries, with rye cracker crumbled in it. i have been eating it every morning for the past month probably. its great, fills me up without making me feel too heavy. its already quite hot and humid here.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

*Bircher muesli (I just mix 1/2 cup rolled oats with 200gm tub of no-fat yoghurt with a little light milk, mix together and let stand overnight. By morning you have a delicious creamy breakfast. That serves 1 person)

*Wholemeal toast x 2 with vegemite (I'm an Aussie lol, it's my absolute favorite)

*Crumpets x 2 with jam (no butter)

*Fruit Salad with Yoghurt

*Cereal (usually Kelloggs Special K, Bodysmart or something else high in fibre...you can also mix Kelloggs bodysmart with yoghurt and stand or an hour or so for a delicious pudding like dessert and/or breakfast)

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head that I usually eat for breaky. But the choices are pretty much endless. You could eat dinner for breakfast if you really wanted too, your stomach doesnt know what time it is lol.

Livi
Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #5  

I like the Bircher muesli idea Livi. I have hot porridge with fresh berries every morning, been doing that since January, I think it could be time for a change.

I love vegemite, you can actually buy it over here in normal supermarkets, I was rather surprised when i moved to UK how easily obatinable it was. Unfortunately, in my local supermarket you can also buy Tim Tams (delicious chocolate biscuits - not healthy breakfast food!!!)

Wholewheat toast with cooked mushrooms is also a favourite of mine. Do you get baked beans in tins in the US?? That is one of my breakfast stand bys when i want something savoury rather than sweeet.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #6  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Do you get baked beans in tins in the US?? That is one of my breakfast stand bys when i want something savoury rather than sweeet.
As famous as England is for eating baked beans, I was shocked at the small selection you have, vs. our baked beans in America. You have a baked bean section. We have a baked bean aisle Though in true American tradtition, they are all heavily sweetened and seasoned.

I've never eaten baked beans for breakfast, but I frequently eat vegetarian chili in the mornings. I make my own and freeze it in little one cup containers, which is easy to fix when I'm too tired or lazy to fix anything else, lol.

I also love a good smoothie. I don't follow a recipe, but throw fruit, yogurt, and milk in the blender.

I make apple bran muffins, and also freeze those, for a quick breakfast food, with fruit and milk.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #7  
Wellness*Body*Mind*Spirit

S/C/G: 320/320/?

Height: 5'9"

I often eat beans and brown rice or beans and corn tortillas or congee which is a Chinese porridge of brown rice and either fruits or vegetables -I eat the vegetables.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #8  

First of all.. there's nothing saying you have to eat what we consider "breakfast foods" for breakfast. Instead of thinking about the things you dont like to eat, start thinking about the things you DO like to eat. There's nothing wrong with a half a sandwich as breakfast or a cup of soup. I like to make english muffin pizzas with lots of veggies and just a lil cheese. pizza for breakfast

Maybe instead of bagels, use something different like english muffins, homemade breads (I love pumpkin bread), make your own low-fat muffins (you can also buy these in the bakery dept of many grocery stores). My latest kick is mini-croissants. I found some that were 70cal each.. I heat it up and eat it with a banana in the morning. What about whole wheat frozen waffles with some berries. yum!

I love cold cereals so I usually have about 3 varieties in the house of that. I hate regular oatmeals and cream of wheat, etc.. but I WILL eat the apples and cinnamon oatmeal (they sell it in low sugar now too!) Another good breakfast I've been doing is a fruit smoothie made with lowfat/no fat yogurt and whatever fruits I have on hand. Sometimes I just make fruit and yogurt parfaits.

I'm often running out the door, I grab a baggie of cold cereal to snack on or a milk n cereal bar (I also love mixed berry nutrigrain bars) and a piece of fruit and/or a fruit cup like applesauce, mandarin oranges, etc.

Just remember.. its more important that you eat something healthy for breakfast than making sure it conforms to what most people think of as "breakfast food". I also tend to eat a lil something at 7-8 and another lil something at 10am instead of a big breakfast and then nothing til lunch.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #9  
Former "Big Girl!"

Thumbs up

I eat 5 or 6 times a day, and I am not really a "breakfast person" per se. When I get up, I like to have a shake by EAS or Body for Life. They have a lot of protein, low fat and low sugar - and they taste good! They have some coffee ones that I really like, but I also like the vanilla and chocolate ones. I loathe Slimfast, but these drinks are really good.

A couple of hours later I have a cup of yogurt with some Kashi cereal in it, some fruit, a whole wheat bagel (sometimes with peanut butter and honey) or I will go with a great pasta fruit salad I found and I use whole wheat pasta.

I eat about every two hours and I am never hungry and the weight just falls off.

But sometimes I just want a steak! I don't believe in deprivation - it can kill motivation.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/242/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks everyone! I really like the idea of eating several smaller meals a day. I have been eating left overs from dinner for the last couple of days and I really enjoy it lol. I used to save them for lunch but I switched that out with some soup. Anyway I am going to try some EAS shakes and see if I like them. I used to do slim fast and just couldn't stand the taste (the powder, not the cans). But if I could do a shake in the morning when my dd is just getting up and everything is crazy it would save me some time

Dani
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #11  
Almost There..

My hours are really mixed up, so I usually wake up when everyone's having lunch or dinner since we eat at around 3PM. If I have the chance to cook my own food, I'll make oatmeal, cream of wheat, or toss some veggies together with brown rice. If I'm in a hurry I'll toast some wheat bread and grab some fruit, or get a granola bar.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #12  
Former "Big Girl!"

I love the EAS Advant Edge drinks. Like I said, the coffee ones are great.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

My breakfasts are all over the place. I'll have any of these, many with whole wheat toast: Cheerios (about the only cold cereal I eat), "real" oatmeal with walnuts and raisins, cottage cheese with fruit (I esp like it with raspberries and blueberries - a real patriotic dish ), an egg salad or pb sandwich, poached or scrambled egges, or leftovers. In high school I had soup nearly every morning. Anything that gets you going, preferably with some protein for staying power.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 AM   #14  

I love Thomas's reduced calorie multi grain english muffins (1pt) with a bit of egg beaters (3pt) and one slice of 2% cheese(1pt) on it. egg beater pts are averaged since I do not use the full serving size. Sometimes when I want to splurge
i put Peanut butter and jeally on English Muffin
Old 06-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #15  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

I really really like fresh fruit in the morning, like melons and berries, or some kind of fruit salad I've made. I can't do it everyday (my dad and sister eat most of it!), but when I do it is really good. I usually eat yogurt, cereal or cereal bars.
Closed Thread