Old 05-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Thumbs up Victoria Day Long Weekend Challenge!

I know it's usually "Howie's Weekend Challenge" but since we in the civilized world are celebrating the old 's birthday and have extra challenges to face (bbq get togethers and firework display outings with hot dog, ice cream and candy floss venders galore) I thought I'd start a special challenge for this weekend.

Actually, its a four day weekend for me because I took today off as well , but I'm geared up to be an the whole time. I figure a lot of my holiday weekend plans include calorie burning activities (flower bed planting, helping G. change light fixtures outside the house, cleaning out the garage and attic, spending time with my lovey dovey ). Of course there will be culinary temptations (get together with friends on Saturday night), but that's pretty much going to be true every weekend now that summer's almost here, so we'd all better get used to the idea of planning ahead!

So, let's all do our best to stay on plan and give a good report at weekend's end!

Queen Vic!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Happy long weekend Jill! I am spending my weekend shopping with my mom who is coming to visit me from out of town. It might get a little dangerous, but I usually eat SO well on the weekends (because I'm working, and I always bring my lunch). So this is the first weekend post from me! I think we are going to this INCREDIBLE szewan place, it's SO SO good, high in those calories.. but also so worth it.. lol. Have a GREAT long weekend

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I'm in. It's sort of a holiday weekend for me. My friend at work always has a Cinco de Mayo party. The trouble is he never has it on the 5th of may. But this weekend we are going to there house for a late Cinco de Mayo partty. So lots of chips and snack food and of course drinks. Tomorrow will be my treat day so I can go over 600 calories. After losing 5 lbs this week I don't want to blow it this weekend and not have a loss next week.

Thanks again for taking charge and keeping our weekend challenge going.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Woo hoo, 5lb. loss Howie, that's great! Must make you feel perfectly okay about that 2lb. gain last week, seeing as you're still down 3 (which in itself would be a great weekly loss). Frankly, I'm in awe of how you're keeping at it and having these lovely losses week after week, month after month. I urge anyone who's holding back out of fear it'll take too long or that consistent losses are impossible to check the amazing Howie's progress thus far!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm in too. I plan on getting in my 10 minutes of exercise each day, writing down all I eat so I can input it into fitday on Monday and get in at least 64 oz. of water. Of course our Relay for Life is tonight and I will be up all night and be sleeping most of the day tomorrow. Does that mean I can count all the walking I'll be doing tonight and early morning as Friday and Saturday's exercise
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #6  
Jennifer

I'm sooo with you guys this weekend. My weekends have gotten progressively worse so that I've been having to spend the first few days in the week losing at least the water weight I gained on Saturday and Sunday!

No no no, not good!

I plan to start it off with a bang with my bellydance class this evening, work out both days (I already had my gym day off this week because my legs were too sore from lifting!), and have ONE treat meal at our favorite brunch spot. Other than that, it's on plan all the time. Add in lots of walking, and I'm hoping to *at least* stop the gain. I really want to be in the 170s next week!!!!

The kitchen is stocked and ready to go. Count me in!

Good luck to everybody. Actually, if we leave it to luck, we're in trouble! How about... good behavior...? .
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #7  
Born Loser

Thanks for the kind words Jill. It does feel good. I remember my self thinking how long this was going to take and how impossible it looked. I look back at my chart now and I see all those weeks of losing and some gains and I look at how much it's added up to and how fast it's gone by. If anyone is having a hard time getting started because of how much they have to lose and how long it's going to take just know that it goes a lot quicker than you would ever think.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Ooh, a long weekend!

I'm in too! Good luck everyone.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #9  

Hey Jill, I never realised you people had a queen victoria's day.....seems strange, because we here in good ole England don't bother with that......great to see you are handling it sooooooo well...

Me, I am having a totally lazy weekend - feeling exhausted after a busy week. So I can see that the exercise is not likely to happen as it should.....but I am doing well on the healthy eating front, so all is not lost.....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #10  
Crazy Canuck

Claire - I guess the reason we have the Victoria Day long weekend is because if we didn't there wouldn't be a long weekend between Easter and Canada Day (July 1st), which is a terribly long time. Victoria Day is traditionally the weekend people open up their cottages for the summer, plant their gardens and, especially, have huge firework displays (our 4th of July). My late sister Victoria was born on a Victoria Day weekend as was George's eldest daugher (also named Victoria).

I remember my first Victoria Day fireworks after coming to Canada from England as a child and wondering why we didn't have such a thing back home (though I did miss going door to door and asking for a "penny for the Guy" so we could make a Guy Fawke's effigy and have a huge bonfire - do they still do that "back home"?)

Anyway, I've been as good as gold today so far - its a beautiful day and we've finished the planting, attacked the garage and taken the dog to the shore for a run already. I'm just here checking out some WW chicken recipes for dinner (and always have to see what's new at 3FC )

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #11  
Born Loser

Ok I'm here to confess. I did lousy yesterday. I did pretty good at my friends partty but then we got pizza on the way home. I'm sure I was already out of calories and the stupid thing was I was not even hungry. It was one of those old me things where when I start eating I just keep eating. Those are becoming longer and longer apart but they are still happening. Anyway I'm back on track today. I'm not going to eat breakfast and maybe luch just for the fact that I'm not even hungry after last night. Then I'll have a nice on plan dinner. We are going to work out in the yard today also so I will have some exercise too.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Sidling up next to Howie...I was waaay off plan yesterday, too, even for a treat day. I went to the party with only 645 calories under my belt, but by the time I went to bed, I'd had more like 3450 calories. Not on plan, I don't think. If we'd not brought Light Tostitos and mainly eaten salsa with them, it would have been a lot worse.

Today's a new day!

Happy Victoria Day, friends up north!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #13  

I have done ok this weekend, have been with you in spirit. I have a long weekend next week.

I haven't had a treat meal this weekend, but did have a chocolate bar whilst watching the last two ever episodes of Dawson's creek on dvd. Had to be done, teen angst and chocolate are a match made in heaven!!!

I went to the gym while the fa cup final was on, saturday afternoon (artist knows what I am on about), and went swimming this morning and gym as well in the afternoon. I am working hard on my weight training. It seems to be having an amazing effect. I am not losing that much in terms of pounds, but boy the inches are coming off. NOTHING fits!!!!

Hope everyone has a lovely day tomorrow, especially those in Canada who don't have to work!!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hello All!!

I did Ok this weekend. Stayed within my points, although my choices weren't the best.

I really just wanted to eat this weekend. That seems to happen when I have some time on my hands. But I didn't. I wasn't happy, but I didn't.

Going to start exercising tomorrow. Did lots of yard work & painting today, so that kinda counts!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #15  
missaprylj

I really went over (by about 1000 calories) on Saturday and today. But... at the same time, I *know* for sure that if it weren't for this board and all of my support here, I would have had a TERRIBLE binge weekend. (Prom, my sister's in town, a sleepover, brunch, went out to eat for almost every meal... you get the picture!)

This is also the first time I've ever used Fit Day or posted here when I knew I did poorly. Between this and the fact that I made some great choices both nights, I think I took a step in the right direction.

Back completely on plan as of Sunday at 5 p.m.