WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #1  

Default LIGHT chips question

So today i bought a bag of ruffles sour cream n cheddar chips. Now in my WW book it says im allowed to have 15 chips for one point. So to avoid the "eat to much out of the bag syndrom" i decided that i would count out 30 chips and make 2 pt bags. The label on the bag said that it had 10 servings in the bag, so i thought i would have five mini bags since i doubled the serving size for my 2pt bags. When i counted all my little bags out, i noticed that i only had 4 two pt bags. So, should i trust the manufacturors, and say that their bags have ten servings? or should i trust my counting judgement, and stick with four bags?
Nancy
175/154/135
Old 05-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

a lot of time the chip count is kind of a guess. I ussually try weighing things like that to get a more acurate serving. Ussually they pack the chips by weight not by count.
it probably retty close thos just a chip or two from each bag.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #3  
Eat well, Live well

There is a really wide variation in the number of points that chips are. Many brand-name regular chips are about 5-6 points per serving, as indicated on the bag. Just last week, I used my pointsfinder at the store on a bag of Ruffles (sour cream and onion is my favorite), and it was 6 points for something like 20 chips, so I didn't buy them. If I were you, I would rely on using the pointsfinder rather than the WW book for each brand of chips. If you want something light, try Christie "Crunchers". They are 2 points for 24 chips, and the chips are all the same size, so they are easy to count. They do have a sour cream and onion flavor.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #4  

Thanks for all your advice. Have you seen the new light ruffles tho? half the calories?! i think its 75 calories per serving, but yeah the points finder is really great.
Nancy
Old 05-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

1) yes you should utilize weights and not chips because the chips vary in size and shape. The only time I would say you could do the number of chips is in the formed ones like Pringles.

2) The light chips are great but watch they do contain Olestra. There are some who have Gastro problems with Olestra. I am not one of them but some do.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #6  

Fat Free Pringles - 15 chips = 1pt (And since the chips are usually unbroken, it's easy to get a safe guess)

As mentioned above. Olestra.

They taste great though, just like normal. They come in Original and Sour Cream n Onion.

Make sure you get the FAT FREE - not the 'Reduced Fat' ones. Big difference.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #7  
becRN

The FF pringles are great! They also come in BBQ flavor along with the sour cream and regular. Where do you find the "Christie Crunchers"? I have not seen these.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie Abbott
There is a really wide variation in the number of points that chips are. Many brand-name regular chips are about 5-6 points per serving, as indicated on the bag. Just last week, I used my pointsfinder at the store on a bag of Ruffles (sour cream and onion is my favorite), and it was 6 points for something like 20 chips, so I didn't buy them.
Most chips are 3 points per ounce which is a serving. I even have a bag of Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion (my favorite too) and they are 3 points per serving. Are you doubling the serving size?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #9  
Eat well, Live well

It must be a Canadian thing. I checked the chips in a couple of major stores, and they were pretty high in points. No sign of FF or RF pringles or ruffles here. There were organic ruffles, but they were just as high in points as the regular ones.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #10  

Allie,
They are in the chip aisle and they used to be called "RUFFLES WOW!" but now they just have a big "LIGHT" on the bag. Mine were all spread out through the chip aisle, i wish they would organise it better. good luck finding those chips
Nancy
Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #11  
CIN

Hi Gals
Another comment on the chips.....The FDA no longer requires food companies to put the olestra "warning" on the bag.so be careful........they cause some people real problems!

Also.I agree.the POINTS FINDER is always the most accurate.

Weighing out an ounce is faster and you can include the broken pieces that we sometimes dont count !

BRAVO that you are measuring period! Good for you...........bags already pre-measured is a great idea that will SUPPORT your weight loss! Give yourself a hand!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

yeah, the bags are a great idea...I need to do this with light Pringles...once I start eating them I can't stop!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:41 PM   #13  
CIN

Correct.that is exactly what manufacturers want! That is why Lays theme is "Bet you can't eat one!"

We can beat this OVER EATING THEM.....right?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #14  

I bought some of the Sour Cream & Onion Pringles yesterday and counted out 15 and put them in lil baggies (1 pt.) and put them in my desk drawer. I just had a baggie for a snack and b/c the are portioned and then the rest in my drawer after I was finished with the ones on my desk I didn't think about the others that I had, unlike when you have the whole can in front of you. Yipppee for not over snacking.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #15  
Cowboy Up Chick

CIN, I right with the tools and resources we have we CAN beat this over eating of things especially chips. I am so glad I don't like regular chips but give me a bag of tortilla chips and well you know the rest. LOL! Actually I can stop myself at 1 serving but it too many years to learn to do that.
Closed Thread