Old 04-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #1  

Default LCFS Week of April 24th

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all having a good weekend. It's been sunny here most of the time. But, a cool front came through late yesterday afternoon bringing some dark clouds, which thankfully didn't produce anything.

Went to the Dr. on Fri., my cholesterol is still pretty high, 226, but it has come down some since Sept. She wants me to double up on my Lipitor, take 20 mg. instead of 10 mg. I don't want to do that for various reasons. I know I have to get back to doing a WOE like Somersizing, and getting serious about exercising. I have 3 months before I have to have bloodwork done again. I may or may not go back to this Dr's office. I'm seeing an ARPN, like I was seeing in NH. When she came in she just mentioned my cholesterol was high, and I had to ask her twice to tell me the numbers. I didn't like that.

Anne, I'm like you about exercising in the morning. If I don't do it first thing, I don't do it. You're doing great with your exercises.

Kate, your cholesterol is great!! You've done a great job getting it lower. I bet going to Curves helped tremendously. Mine seemed to go down when I was eating a lower carb/higher fat (go figure) diet, eating "real" food, nothing processed. It's going to take 6-8 weeks to get our recliners. Lacee thinks the furniture is her's, and she allows us to sit in it.

Nikki, when we lived in NH we couldn't put anything in the ground until around Memorial Day Weekend because of the frost. Cooking over a camp fire sounds really good. When I was growing up, my parents always opened up their summer cottage in early May. The only heat we had was a woodstove. On Sun. morning, my mother would get her cast iron skillet and cook bacon & eggs on the woodstove. OMG was that ever good. When I'd put on my PJ's that night when we were home, they would have the smell of bacon & eggs and I could enjoy them all over again.

Lynn, hope to hear from you soon. Still thinking about you.

Have a great day eveyone.
Ali

Last edited by aleka; 04-24-2005 at 09:09 AM.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:37 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just popping in to let you know there will be some changes in the Low Carbohydrate Lifestyle Forum coming soon.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #3  

Hi everyone,

Looks like we've been moved to a new location.
Ali, I don't like it when Drs or NP's act like that. They aren't giving you credit to know what it could possibly mean. I hate when they do that. I would get a new Dr or NP too.

Some of my plants are fine, some we will have to see if they snap out of it. It is early to plant here too, but even the guy on the tv that gives plant advice said it was ok last week to plant everything. I've seen it snow up to May 3rd around here. It doesn't really bother me that I might have to replant. I knew when I planted them that it was a possibility. It's not hard to stick a few more plants in the ground

Kate, how did the banquet go? I ate too much yesterday, but I think I was having a PMS moment (all day ) DH can attest to that

Hi Anne, hope your weekend is going well.

Lynn, we really do miss you and I hope things are going ok

Talk to you all later, Nikki
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #4  

A Good Monday Morning,

Hope you all had a good weekend. DH had yesterday off and after we had to run to Sams Club we relaxed the rest of the day, as DH is fighting a cold, and so far it appears that he's winning.

Kate, I forgot to ask about the banquet yesterday. Did you enjoy yourself? I finished that Nora Roberts book I was reading, which was the 2nd book in a series, and I didn't know it until I started reading it, so naturally I had to go out and buy the 1st book which I'll start today.

Nikki, DH's health insurance kicked in last week, and we have a number to call to find out who the Drs are who accept whatever plan he's on. I may be looking elsewhere for a Dr. anyway. When I went there on Fri. it was in the back of my mind that it would be my last appt. I only hope they're not all like that down here.

Anne, hope you have a good work week and don't have too many run ins with

Lynn, hope things are ok with you.

Have a great day everyone.
Ali
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM   #5  

Hi,
It's been a rainy, cold day The wind is very chilly. I think the nice weather we had last week was a real tease...it was too nice for April. Just got home after going to Curves. I'm waiting for DH, but he probably won't be here till about 7:00. That's bad for me because I find myself picking at stuff until he gets home I have to stay out of the kitchen!

Ali: The banquet was okay. The food this year wasn't as good so I didn't overdo and since I was taking an antibiotic I didn't even have any wine! I'm sorry that you're not happy with the doctor's office down there. Shop around until you find someone you like. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful PCP who takes her time, listens, and explains everything. I'm sure that you'll be able to find someone in FL who you'll be happy with. That's the tough thing about moving, having to find doctors, dentist. Did you get the other Nora Roberts book? What series is it? Your DH has another cold????

Nikki: I must have missed it....what kind of plants did you put in, vegetable or flowers? The big planting time around here is Memorial Day weekend. There's always a danger of frost until then. I will put a few of the hardier flowers in before then. We don't do veggies anymore except for a tomato plant and green pepper plant. And we share a pumpkin patch with our neighbors.

Anne: Do you have someone difficult that you work with? That's no fun...I've been there before. Right now I work with 8 other women and we all get along great...hard to believe when you put that many women together!

Hope everyone's week has started off good!

Take care,
Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #6  

Hello everybody,

After a chilly start yesterday morning, it warmed up very nicely. I started out in my jeans and ended up in my shorts. Our neighborhood raccoon came by yesterday afternoon just as DH & I were sitting down for lunch. I was surprised to see it in the daytime. Lacee had no idea it was in her backyard, some watchdog we've got.

Kate, sorry that you didn't enjoy the banquet more than you did. It's really disappointing when you're expecting something to be as good as you remembered, and it's not. Is the banquet a yearly event? If so, maybe it will be better next year. I got an e mail from my cousin in NH and she told me it's been raining there since Fri. night, and it's supposed to be nice there today, then start raining again tomorrow. That's one of the reasons I moved to FL. I've been meaning to ask you. What did you do to get your cholesterol nos. so low? I have decided not to eat anymore frozen diet dinners and other processed foods and see if that helps. Were you able to stay out of the kitchen until your DH came home?

Hi Nikki, Anne, Lynn, hope you all have a good day today.

Ali
Old 04-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #7  

Good Morning Everyone:
We had a miserable weekend. Nothing but rain and yesterday was freezing.
Today looks alittle better thank goodness.

Kate: My manager (Syliva) is a nasty piece of business. I have
been 30 years at this job (been here since I was 18 believe it or not )and she is absolute worst person I have ever met.

Hi Nikki, how are things going with you? Your weather sure sounds similar
to ours. My late grandfather used to say you can't trust the weather until
the 24th (May) seems like he's right this year for sure

Aleka, our place has so many racoons, they always look like they are running
on their toes. I haven't seen the possum yet though (not that I'm sorry)

Hi Lynn! Hope to hear from you soon

Anne.
ANNE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #8  

Hi

It's cold here again. I am really glad we didn't get the snow they got in Ohio. Now that would have been unwelcome.

Anne, I think is probably the meanest person I've ever heard of and I haven't even met the woman. I've met lots of rotten people too.

Ali, I would really have to wonder about a raccoon that is around in the day time. If I remember right, they are usually nocturnal. It might be sick or have some other kind of problem.

Kate, since the food wasn't that great at the banquet, it must have been easier to not eat too much.
I plant a lot of different things, flowers and vegetables. This year so far, I've planted spinach, kale, radishes, beets, a variety of herbs, green beans, peppers and tomatoes. For several weeks, the temps were over 60 and often in the 70 degree range. We have a cold snap right now that is unseasonable for us. I've lost a few tomatoes so far. I can't believe it's this cold here right now.

I got my Transfirmer today. I have to get some kind of adapter to use the dvd player in the exercise room. I am really glad to have something new to do, as the other things were getting kind of old.

Hi Lynn, I think about you a lot and wish the best for you as always. Really miss you

Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #9  

Hi everybody!
Ann: I'm sorry that you have such an awful manager. It's horrible to have to work with someone like that. I bet it's hard going into work every day. Don't the higher ups realize what she's like? Our weather has been yucky too

Nikki: Sounds like you have a big garden! It's a lot of work, but the rewards are wonderful. Nothing taste better than something fresh picked. I've been more into flowers the last several years. In fact we had a guy come tonight to measure for a new sidewalk we're putting in. Means I have to put in some more perennials I can't wait to start picking things out!

Ali: I'm lucky because my cholesterol has responded very well to Lipitor. I take 10 mg. I think that the exercise definitely helps too. I find I don't eat as much meat as I used to..mostly chicken in fact. It had been 235-240 when I started. I remember on the other thread you saying that eating higher fat/lower carbs seemed to help you. Everyone's body is different so you should do what works for you. Do you do any walking with Lacee like you did in NH? I hope that the eastern seaboard isn't going to have a crummy summer. It's early yet, but there seems to be a lot of rain around.

Time for my shower and then read a little before I go to sleep. Have a good Wednesday!

Take care,
Kate
Old 04-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #10  

Hello everyone,

What a night!!! We had a few T-storms come through in the wee hrs. of the morning. The rain came down so hard at times it sounded like hail. The last storm came around 5:00 am. Lacee was all upset, so needless to say neither one of us slept well.
It's supposed to be cooler now that they've passed.

Anne, has the weather improved? That's the one thing I hated about New England. When it rained there it stayed around for days on end and it was raw and chilly. Down here when it rains it's usually over with the next day. I have seen a possum, dead on the side of the road. I've also seen armadillos dead on the side of the road and everytime I see one I'm wishing it's the little who is digging up our backyard.

Nikki, that was my exact thought about the raccoon too. I mentioned it to DH and he just and said that he/she was probably hungry. That happened one time in NH. DH called the forestry agent to let them know, and they sort of blew him off. I'm still leery when one comes in broad daylight. Up there most of them were rabid, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are down here too.

Kate, your cholesterol nos. were in the same range as mine were when I was first put on Lipitor. Where your numbers are so impressive, I was just wondering if there was anything I could incorporate to see if it would help me. I know that when I was Somersizing, my cholesterol went down. Since I can't seem to stick to that WOE anymore, I'm just going to incorporate the Core foods into my diet, except for the fat-free salad dressings and mayonnaise. I read the label of a jar of fat-free mayo the other day and just about . I believe the 1st ingredient was water, the 2nd ingredient was sugar, and the 3rd ingredient was high fructose corn syrup, which Prevention did an article on how bad it was for you. I also think exercise is the key too. Anyway, wish me luck!

Lynn, ditto for me what Nikki said.

Hope you all have a great day.
Ali

Last edited by aleka; 04-27-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Morning, LCFS Chicks.
You chicks have really formed a perfect little support group over the years. How long is it? I don't know if you are all low carbing but, if not, would you like to be moved out of this forum and into Support Groups? Let me know and I'll do it with a redirect for any missing members.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #12  

I'm sooo tired! I was supposed to go to Curves, but decided not to since I worked later. Things came at me fast and furious today and now there's a ton of stuff to do that has to be done NOW! How quickly things can change. Sometimes mental exhaustion is almost as bad as physical.

Ali: It sounds so funny when you talk about seeing armadillos...to me they sound like such exotic animals because I've never lived anyplace that had them. Such a sheltered life I lead I do wish you good luck with your cholesterol. You'll find the key to what works for you. I think fresh foods and exercise really help. Smart to stay away from that fat free stuff. One of my favorite snacks is some roasted, unsalted almonds. They're supposed to be very good for you. I have to go in for a glucose tolerance test in a couple months so now I'm trying to watch the sugar content in everything. I remember once you said that you tried to stay away from anything with more the 5 gms of sugar. That is a challenge!! I'd be leery about the raccoon too. My DH always says that they shouldn't be out during the day. We've been visited by lots of deer. I counted 12 in the backyard the other day. I'm not liking that because they ate most of the shrubs around my deck

Hi Anne and Nikki Hope that everything is going well for both of you.

I think it will be an early night tonight although I have 2 new magazines that I'm anxious to look through.

Take care,
Kate
Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #13  

Good morning,
Yesterday by late morning the weather turned out fantastic. It did stay rather humid though.

I had another awful night's sleep, and didn't get up until around 8:15 am. That is super late for me. Now my whole morning is shot. I had planned on doing WATP tape, but if I don't do it early, I don't do it.

Kate, I'm sorry your so busy at work. I know how fast things can change in the work place. When we were in business for ourselves, whenever we would comment about it going to be an easy day, all it took was 1 phone call and the phone would be ringing off the hook. I never thought I'd say it, but I do miss those days. When I said I stayed away from anything that that had more than 5 gm. of sugar in it, I was thinking more in the lines of salad dressings, peanutbutter, that sort of thing. Sorry for the mixup. At that time I was always looking at the sugar content on the nutritional label. But, I found out not to long ago that I should've been looking at the ingredient label for no added sugar. Pasta sauce can have a lot of sugar in it, but it can be natural sugar, which is ok. I use the natural peanutbutter that you have to mix yourself and keep refrigerated. With the way you're eating, your test should be fine. It's funny, I've alwasy associated armadillos with Texas, Arizona, never FL until one trip when I saw so many on the side of the road. I sent you 2 PMS.

Hi Nikki, Anne, Lynn, hope your day is going well.

Have a great day.
Ali

Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #14  

Hello Ladies:
Only one more day till the weekend I am so tempted to eat off
program today. It will be everything I can do not to buy fries for lunch.
My friend is off for four work days because her son is getting married. Somehow this makes me "feel free" so my evil twin wants to run around
and have a feast. I sound like a big kid don'tI

Kate, man oh man do I know what you mean about work. Sometimes I
feel like I am in a state of shock when I finally leave at night

Ali ,you and I are the same with exercise. I get up at 4, take my shower,
have my coffee and jump on the gazelle. If I don't do it then it aint gettin
done.

Hi Nikki, hows your weather? We had snow flurries today!!

Hi Lynn, We're all thinking about you

Anne.
ANNE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon,

Kate, hope it's a less stressful day for you. Stress makes me more tired than anything else.
Ali, I didn't know there were armadillios in Florida either. I bet you are tired today and if I don't get up before 6am, I feel like the day is starting out on the wrong foot.
Anne, how's your eating going? Did you have fries? I went to Taco John's for lunch. I usually get 2 hard shell tacos, but got 2 soft shell taco's. I thought I was really going over on my points, but when I looked them up, they are the same amount of points. I was feeling guilty for nothing,
It's cold again and suppose to rain tomorrow. I am getting really tired of this weather, but it snowed in Nebraska, which is just a few hundred miles west of here, so I guess I really have no reason to complain.
Well, I've had one of those days. Guess I better get going, You all take care, Nikki