Old 08-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default OT - Friday Goof-off Thread: STYLE

Since things have gotten a little serious up in here today, I thought I'd start an off-topic thread (my first) about STYLE. We all know that being overweight and having style are not mutually exclusive (we do know that, don't we? Yes, we do). So, in that vein, here are some questions. Feel free to answer any of these:

1) How would you describe your personal style in 20 words or less?

2) What kinds of clothes do you wear when you want to feel sexy or impress your sweetie (or wannabe sweetie)? Be *descriptive*.

3) Do you have any style icons, plus-sized or otherwise? If so, who and why?

I think it's important to remind ourselves that we are sexy, expressive beings no matter what our weight is. I can't wait to read the responses!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:26 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'll add my own style...

1) My personal style is probably very simplistic with an occasional flair. I am not afraid to experiment but sometimes my experiments don't come out the way I hoped.

2) Color makes me feel sexy as well as shirts that enhance my bosom Since I don't have the biggest boobs in the world, I can probably get away with some things other women can't or else they'd be overflowing.

3) I don't really have any style icons other than my fascination with the show what not to wear. I still don't understand why they like people to wear pointy shoes though....
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:58 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I am clotheshorse. Just wanted to post the disclaimer first.

I try to dress as well as I can. I think my style is more classic than trendy, but with a few trendy pieces in here & there to keep it updated. I did not count my words, Ms Teapot, I hope that is ok?

2) What kinds of clothes do you wear when you want to feel sexy or impress your sweetie (or wannabe sweetie)? Be *descriptive*.

Black. I look great in it. Either that or jewel tones. I like my black jeans w/stretch in them, and I have a couple tops that I feel very sexy in, and they have worked in the past.

Emme. I absolutely love her. I want to be her when I grow up.

The other thing I do is take care of myself--shaving, giving myself mani's & pedi's, moisturizing, facial masks at home. When I look great, I feel great. I am pretty vain that way.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Bland, a bit boring.. but it works for me. Jeans, black pants, mostly black shirts (just because i think its the best color ever). I also like unique clothes that you're not likely to see again.

This has changed as I've gotten older and wanted to *impress* different types of people. A few mere years ago I would have automatically said my short, red hawaiian print skirt and a black tank top. Now that makes me want to puke! Last time I saw my sweetie, I wore a long, flowy tribal type black linen skirt (it had a slit with a reddish fabric and some cool designs underneath) and a v-neck black shirt that showed some cleavage (let's face it, though, my boobies are a size that makes it impossible to *not* see cleavage) i find that less is more for me, and I don't think it has anything to do with me being a big girl, but more with personal taste (he approves, not that it matters... too much.. haha)

an "icon," I don't really have one- but I also love that What Not to wear show, Nelie! Did you see the awful one with the young real estate agent who dressed like she was going to a club every day? HEHEHE

What about you, Jennifer?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Well now that I have shed some pounds: Conservative and trendy

Well- around the house I wear tank tops and skimpy shorts that are sooooo comfy. AlsoI am now starting to get into sexy little dresses. A thong works wonders for impressing the sweetie these days!!

I don't really have any style icons... I ususally do my own thing!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:23 PM   #6  
missaprylj

Talking

Casual, comfortable, and the accents dominate!

Well... Since you know how great my love life is at the ripe old age of SIXTEEN! But, I find that shoes with a bit of a heel to them make me feel SO confident.

Catherine Zeta-Jones *never* goes wrong... in "real life" I like the way a few of my (albeit skinng) friends dress.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:36 PM   #7  
Searching

1. Pink, pretty, and flirty for personal life. Practical for work. Pink workout clothes. Sexy underwear. Alive.

2. Well I was thinking about being sexy today, and I have low waisted boot cut white Leiv's on, a black t-shirt that has Angel's wings and glitter on the breasts, pink diamond ring, short pink necklace, pink pearl bracelet, chrome pink toenails, a black belt, and cute black sandals. I got several compliments tonight and a few of the are you thinner variety. If I want to be sexy I emphasize my breasts, and put focus on my eyes and smile. If I am really wanting to go all out I will well something short as well and do the make-up on the legs since I have pretty legs but hate panty hose.

3. Charlize Theron and J-Lo with a little Nicole Kidman and Queen Amiidala thrown in.

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #8  
Live for the Moment!

--> Pretty and Classic! Professional for work... I love PINK too! I like black pants, flared jeans... heels and tees too though! If I like it, I buy it.

--> Low- Cut Shirt.. Black Pants and strappy heels! Im sure it'll be a lil' dress when I reach my goal though

--> Jessica Simpson - I think she always looks pretty classy - sexy but not trashy!
--> There's another big one, who is always the best dressed on the Red Carpet.. and I can't remember her name.. its on the tip of my tongue! Grrrr.. I hate when this happens!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Style? What's that?

We've been married 23 years. Do I still have to impress him? Actually, I feel pretty sexy if I wear underwear in any color other than white.

Well, in my heart of hearts, I'd love to wear the gowns I've seen on Nicole Kidman at awards ceremonies. Where I'd wear them would be a whole 'nother questionnaire!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

My style ~ I guess I would have to say I am most comfortable with casual. I like blue demim ~ pants, dresses, purses. (My screen name should have been blue denim girl.)

For feeling sexy ~ lacy intimate things.

Style icon ~ (my age showing here) Mrs. Garrett (Charlotte Rae) on "The Facts of Life" show. She is short and fluffy like myself ~ short waisted. What ever she wore, she always looked attractive to me.

Forgive me as I share a couple things here. (Guess I am in one of those kind or rambly moods today.) About the denim thing, I went to a shoe store once and I wanted some navy blue shoes ~ I had seen some in a catalog and so knew they made them. The sales lady tried to tell me that they did not exist and tried to talk me into brown or black. I told her ~ look at me ~ I had denim pants, denim blazer, top that matched, sneakers and socks that matched, denim pocket book. I want what I want and black or brown just wasn't it. My daughter recently got me a tote bag ~ bright yellow with some blue on it. She said I needed to get some more colors into my life. LOL.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I have no style. I can't remember the last time I wore makeup. (I've been told I look better without it, although that could totally be because I have no idea how to wear it! ) I am most at home in jeans, a sweater, and boots. I have to be careful, though, because I often find myself drawn to clothes that my daughter's friends would wear. Five years ago, I might have been able to get away with it. Unfortunately, I am finding that there really is such a thing as being "too old" for certain things!

When I do "dress," though, I favor classic styles. One of my favorite dresses is a plain, black silk sheath dress. That and my hair in a French twist and hubby can't keep his hands off me.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #12  
Jennifer

I suppose it's only fair that I submit to my own questions, right?

(I'm going to ignore my 20-word rule here... don't know why I added that!) My style is, unfortunately, still limited by the few stores I can shop in, BUT I still try to be stylish. I like: Close fitting v-neck tops that show off my breasts and make it appear that I have a waist. Cute short-ish skirts.
Cut-up t-shirts. Lots of black. Clunky and comfortable fun shoes over anything pointy or painful. Splashes of color through a little makeup, a trendy necklace, or neckerchiefs. I've also finally learned that big baggy shirts make me look bigger than I am, so I avoid them. I'm nothing to write home about, style-wise, but I'm working on mixing it up!

I have a push-up bra that I wear when I feel like emphasizing my cleavage. It makes me feel sexy, and my husband seems to appreciate it as well .

I have no real style "icons" per se, but I like the clothes on the Torrid website and look around on the streets for inspiration. I find that the plus-size African-American girls in NYC generally know how to dress for their bodies better than the WASP-y chicks.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote