Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Thin For Life/The National Weight Control Registry

Last edited by Meg; 11-27-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #2  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

I sent off for the packet and have received it. With the repost, Meg, I've got the nudge to finish the survey and add my 'before' picture from October 2000.

I was very focused over the holidays and didn't gain - actually lost a bit. I ate what I chose to eat - I was just careful with my choices!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #3  
Mel

Somewhere in the vast piles of paper in my house, there's the initial packet from the registry. Filling it out looked harder than losing the weight. Since we are embarking on a "get rid of the clutter" journey, I will fill it out when it surfaces. Interesting that you did the survey with dh and the answers were so different! I'm sure the same thing would happen here.

Mel
Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #4  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

So, Meg, whatever happened with the rest of the survey parts??
Old 07-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #5  

FYI - Thin for Life was revised in 2003, and I highly recommend the new edition.

Eating Thin for Life is also available, just as excellent as Thin For Life was!

Another excellent book that preceded Thin for Life was written in the 80's called "Keeping It Off" by Colvin. You can purchase it used from amazon.com (it's out of print), and I believe it was the original springing board for Thin for Life. It's filled with stories of weight loss maintainers and how they do it.

All three books are truly excellent and compliment each other.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I sent off my paperwork to the registry a few weeks ago. I sent my story into Prevention and the editor called me. She's going to try and get my story in the mag. But she's the one pointed me to the registry.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

Sure Meg. I've posted the story I sent to Prevention below. However, to add to it something the editor asked me...what motivated me to start. For me, it was the area I live in to some degree. I was cursed with a family that pretty much always kept me down, down about myself, down about life in general. And lived in an area that has a general mindset of the couch potato. I learned from my own dad how to sit on the couch with my face in the TV and my hand in the Ruffles bag.

And in childhood, with my mother who was afraid to let me do too much, as I was born with heart problems and had open heart surgery at age 12. If my face got too red, she made me sit down and stop having fun with the other kids. So exercise wasn't big on the list of learn to dos.

I actually met my hubby on the internet and moved 1,000 miles from family in order to give our relationship a chance. It was the scariest move I've ever made. I've never been this far from home. That was in 1997. And we married in 2000. He's a great self-esteem builder, and being so far away from the claws and clutches of the clan, there were no setbacks.

And the area we live in is big on exercise, organics and just all over fitness. I'd never seen so many joggers in one area before. And all the offices have showers because people jog for lunch. At some point, with my esteem ever higher, I decided I could do this.

I got stuck at the 150 mark since June until I talked to the doctor. She suggested I add some of the saturated fats back into my diet and eat more foods with protein, since I was trying to wipe out sat. fats altogether. So for the last week, I've had eggs every morning, instead of my multi-grain cereal, and I've had lots of fish, and I've dropped to 146 and a size 8 ladies/9 juniors.

Prevention story - 5/31/04:

It seems like I was always on “a diet”. I’ve gone through phases of eating salads and vegetables and depriving myself of everything I ever enjoyed to the point of feeling as if I was starving. And they’d work. I’d lose weight. But the moment I stopped “dieting”, all the weight would come back. Worse. It would bring a friend along. I ended up gaining more weight than I’d lost after each and every diet. At one point in life, I decided that if I dieted again, I’d eventually reach a point of not being able to fit through a doorway.

I was constantly upset with clothing manufacturers making what I thought of as “fat people clothes”. The shorts legs looked like they were designed for elephants. I felt like I was wearing a skirt rather than a pair of shorts. And tank tops? Tanks were fine, if you didn’t mind showing your 42D bra through the three sizes too large armpit holes. Then it hit me, it wasn’t the clothing manufacturers I should be concerned with. I could lose the weight and be wearing those junior sized hip huggers I always imagined myself in, until I looked in a mirror. But it couldn’t be another diet. And it wasn’t.

I began researching online, asking my doctors, saw a dietician even. I started eating right and exercising. In the past year, I’ve gone from feeling like I was going to pass out after a quarter mile jog, to running 5K local races. The best part is coming in with ten-minute miles to show for my efforts. Next year I intend to drop that down to nine.

I first changed my diet. Not that nasty word “diet”, which means you eat like a rabbit, give up anything and everything sinful, and pretend you don’t want it when you know you do. No, I changed my daily diet. I started eating natural sugars found in fruit and cut out the artificial sugars. I began watching the sodium content and looking for high fiber content. Most of all, I started avoiding saturated fats in everything.

I looked for alternatives. I didn’t give up the cheeseburger. I gave up the “daily” cheeseburger. I realized that I could treat myself and not eat it as a regular staple of my daily diet. And even further, I could substitute that hamburger with turkey burger, or the cheese with a soy-based cheese substitute. I’ve experimented with hundreds of brands and recipes until I’ve found the ones that work for me.

I was somewhere around 240, although I couldn’t say for sure as I never bothered to look at a scale at that point. But once I began my diet, I purchased a scale. The weight started dropping, and I was soon at 230, then 220. Eventually, I was 210, but it just wasn’t fast enough to suit me of course. So a little under a year ago, I decided that I had to exercise. For this, I began with a morning walk before work. I thought about a morning jog, but the first tenth of a mile left me feeling that it was the stupidest idea I’d ever had. So I cut it down to a walk and built up to a run. However, I found myself in an internal debate every morning…Is it too dark? Is it raining? Am I too sleepy?

As I began seeing my exercising slacking off, I decided I had to keep it going, but how? I changed my time. Instead of each morning “before” work, I went each evening “after” work. Before I’d go home, before I’d sit down, before dinner, before anything to take my mind off the task at hand, I would head straight to the gym and the treadmill. No rain, no sleepiness, no darkness to keep me from my goal. As that began to get boring, I added a CD player with my favorite music to run to. The faster the beat, the faster I ran. As I got better at it, I began going back outside to run. No longer ashamed to “jiggle” at the passersby.

I’m now 151, have bought my first two-pieced bathing suit since high school, am wearing those junior sizes, and I’m in a size ten as opposed to a size twenty-four. The added bonus is people say I look ten years younger. I was in my twenties at one point feeling like I was forty. Now I’m almost forty, feeling like I’m twenty. Feeling so great in fact, that I’ve started taking night classes in addition to a full-time job. It’s as if I’ve discovered a huge reservoir of energy that was just hiding.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #8  
LBS

Default Thanks, I needed that!

I'm going to look for "Thin for Life". It seems like there is all kinds of advice for losing, but not much for keeping it off, and keeping motivated! Help!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

A quick followup...

Prevention didn't go with my article afterall. Ahh well, I'll have to send it off to some other mags. But the registry has accepted my entrance, I'm now an official registry member.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

Meg, I have noticed that all the Prevention weight loss articles so far have been either WW, Jenny Craig or bypass surgery. Maybe you're onto something there.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

And here they simply returned my first questionnaire as incomplete. They highlighted one line and asked that I complete and return it. The line was:

"How often do you use low fat or fat free salad dressings". My answer was ALWAYS. The next question was "How often do you use no salad dressing". And I failed to answer it. ::sigh:: LOL!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Meg, thank you so much for sharing this -- it's fascinating! I'm thrilled to hear of the future studies, and I found their findings regarding resting metabolic rates particularly interesting. I'll be interested to hear the feedback of folks (like you, Mrs. Jim, and more) who've been living this.

Thank again.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #13  

Wow, thanks for sharing this Meg. I am interested in knowing the types of questions they ask and how long and detailed it gets since I just signed up this week and hope to get the packet in the mail soon. This week marks the 1-year anniversary for hitting my goal weight of 150 lbs. I was wondering though, since I've lost a little more since then, should I have waited until I've maintained my current weight for at least 1 year? Or do you think counting the time from hitting my goal weight is still appropriate?

Beverly
Old 09-24-2005, 07:00 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

Default Aye aye aye

I just got my packet for a one year follow-up from the Registery. It starts off with your weight last year then this year then asks if it's due to anything in particular...ie: pregnancy. But after that, I feel like I'm wading through muck trying to continue answering. How do you answer these questions when you're pregnant and due yesterday? Like what do you consider an acceptable weight gain? And what would you do if you gained more than that. I dunno! I'm pregnant!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Quick question -- I know the NWCR is for people who have lost at least 30 lbs and kept it off at least a year. My question is can I sign up for it on the one year anniversary of when I had lost the first 30 lbs, or does it have to wait for the one year anniversary of when I reached my goal weight?
Closed Thread