Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #1  

Default Personal training software?

Do any of you know of a personal training software that is a good on we can use at home? I am looking for something that you could put in some of your favorite foods and it could spit out a detailed menue and shopping list. I know its out there, sounds like most of the personal trainers on the web use something like this, ideas?

Thanks, BabySteps
BabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I'll be interested to hear the responses to this. I've been using Diet Power, and I swear by it; however, it doesn't have menu-planning capability, nor does it spit out a grocery list. But it's absolutely wonderful if you're interested in tracking all modes of exercise and all aspects of nutritional intake -- complete with graphs, metabolic rate tracking, goal-setting and weight projection capabilities, as well as nutritional serving-specific nutritional breakdown of user-entered recipes and really so much more. I also like that I don't have to be online to access it, unlike FitDay, which is also good but not at all in the same class as Diet Power.

But a shopping list and menu-planning support would be just icing on the cake!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well...

Both Mel and I (and JC I believe!) have used software called "The Trainer's Edge". It DOES do all the stuff you're wanting - generates a shopping list, detailed menus, etc. The thing about it is...unless they've updated it recently, it's pretty klunky to use. For one thing, neither Mel nor I could ever get the workout program to function correctly. The meal timing is WAY off - you'd be having two meals 60 minutes apart, then there'd be a five hour gap to your next meal. Plus, the food selections are pretty limited (again, they might have upgraded the software to allow for more choices) and often the meals would be, um, pretty weird to say the least...

One you might want to check out is the online software that was used during the Discovery Health National Body Challenge. They're offering a free 30-day trial if you want to check it out - and it does allow you to generate a shopping list.

http://bodychallenge.discovery.com/discovery/

Now personally, I tend to eat the same things - what I call my "staples" - eggs, oatmeal, chicken breast, brown rice, veggies and fruits in season, etc. so all I do is monitor the portions...but everyone needs to find what works for them.

Regarding Fitday - they've recently come out with software (for around $30 I believe?) that you can load onto your computer. Supposed to have more features, but I haven't seen it to comment on it.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote