View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #109
Steelslady
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/286/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Hello all. I come to say I won't count fiber...breads/bagels are loaded with salt and starting on monday...I will be on a liquid diet... 3 smoothies a day. that I will get my fruits/veggies in...and drinking plenty of water...

Good luck to you all. Take Care
They do have salt in them, but some high fiber products are lower than others. I noticed Fiber One bread was lower than Arnold's brand, both great breads, but I just might stick to the Fiber One. I noticed that most of the high fiber snack items, at least the ones I buy anyway, are much lower in sodium than the chips and crackers that I used to eat. Little changes go a long way.

By juicing, you can also whoosh away a lot of salt with cucumbers, celery, asparagus, and leafy greens. Fruit also helps whoosh away sodium as well. Drinking water helps, too, especially distilled water. Apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water with four Stevia drops helps get the sodium under control as well- I drink this once or twice a day- some days, I just forget the second beverage. Also, like I said before, pillows under your feet at night for 20-30 minutes, or put your feet at an angle against the wall- I did that tonight, I actually started tapping my feet to some music- glad no one was around to see me dancing on the wall. Exercise also helps with fluid retention- yes, you gain it at our weight for a few days, but the whoosh is so worth it when it comes off.

So, juicing is a great thing, but I caution you to just be realistic about it- it's very hard to do alone long term. I wish you the best, though, if this is what you feel you have to do! You were doing great on the high fiber, I think you just get too nervous about the water gains- I totally understand that, but at our weight, plus all the medications we're on, we have to expect these crazy fluctuations for the first 60-80 pounds that come off. The lower we get in weight, the stronger our muscles become as we continue to work out, combined with watching our sodium intake causes these fluctuations to happen less and less. It is indeed frustrating- I gained three pounds of water weight last week from swimming, took a few days to come off, but I knew it was my muscles holding onto the water while they healed for a couple of days.

Also, as we start to get smaller and in better shape, our blood pressure levels lower, causing us to go lower in medication- medications can also wreak havoc with fluid retention- it's just something we have to hang in there for a little bit and let happen, and not get discouraged by it. Recently, they lowered my Propranolol from 80 mg to 60 mg. They also took me off my thyroid medicine (I have Grave's Disease), because it made me hypothyroid. I actually have hyperthyroidism and have to watch my levels carefully. I am nervous about being off of this medicine because at any time, my thyroid levels could jump up to Grave's again, which is scary- heart palpitations, hot and sweating like I just ran a marathon even though I am sitting still, just miserable symptoms. However, I am doing it because it's not good for me to be hypo, either. The battle of the thyroid drives me crazy- it also causes my blood pressure to hit the roof, too, when the heart palpitations start.

Again, I would log daily my weight and exercise, to see if perhaps most of this retention is just simply your muscles hanging onto the water to heal, which takes a few days. That is a great thing, believe or not, because it means your muscles are getting stronger, and once healed, they release the water. Muscle also takes up less space than fat, eventually clothes will get loser and you'll look and feel better as time goes on.

Also, why not combine the juicing with the high fiber diet? Instead of having two bagels for breakfast, maybe have one with a juice. Same thing with lunch and dinner, have a juice before you eat. Not only will it help fill you up, you'll cut down on the sodium in some of the foods that may be high.

Anyhow, good luck to you on your new journey of juicing- I wish you all the best! Don't forget about us here!

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote