View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Avalon1957
IP Start Date 9/1/2014

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelo View Post
Avalon, loved your post. Got a question: could you elaborate on the part about the congestion in your lungs after eating? How was that related? Was it mainly salty food? If you have early signs of CHF does that go away after a weight loss? Okay, that was more than a question and kind of big questions, too. AND congrats on your great lab numbers! Mine are better too. Big changes are happening on the inside as well as the outside.
Hello Brelo, Some of this might have been paranoia about congestive heart failure (CHF) since that killed my dad at age 80. My heart was definitely struggling at 320 to 340 pounds and it could no longer clear excess water from my body

Here is some good info on CHF from WebMD ...
"Congestive heart failure does not mean the heart has stopped working. Rather, it means that the heart's pumping power is weaker than normal. With heart failure, blood moves through the heart and body at a slower rate, and pressure in the heart increases. As a result, the heart cannot pump enough oxygen and nutrients to meet the body's needs. The chambers of the heart may respond by stretching to hold more blood to pump through the body or by becoming stiff and thickened. This helps to keep the blood moving, but the heart muscle walls may eventually weaken and become unable to pump as efficiently. As a result, the kidneys may respond by causing the body to retain fluid (water) and salt. If fluid builds up in the arms, legs, ankles, feet, lungs, or other organs, the body becomes congested, and congestive heart failure is the term used to describe the condition."

My CHF symptoms were due to me being too darned FAT and not from a weakened heart or some sort of structural issue ... and when i got my weight back into the 200's all of these CHF symptoms disappeared completely. Clearly 320 (or thereabouts) is a very critical weight level for my body where it goes from muddle-ing through, to actually starting to break down and die.

In terms of congestion in my lungs after a meal, it didn't really matter what I ate (it would happen even after broccoli and chicken when was above 320 pounds). And I found that when I would eat anything I was always clearing my lungs of water/fluid for about 30 to 45 minutes afterwards. (It feels a bit like lung congestion you might have after a bad flu). At that weight my body really starts towards some sort of really noticeable death spiral. I think what I have found is my own personal "death zone" which exists right around 320 pounds (for me) ... just like climbers on high mountains enter the death zone above 24,000 feet, a height above which their body starts to die.

Funny now at 266 (60 pounds less than where I was in late July) I feel GREAT ... I don't have any noticeable heart issues at all ... no excess swelling, no lung congestion, and my blood pressure also dropped to a nice low level. I honestly feel so healthy now that I think I could go run track if I wanted to.

So just like I am no longer diabetic at this lower weight, I no longer have any heart issues at all at this lower weight. Now this is not saying that I won't EVER ... but for now, at this lower weight, I am as healthy as I was at 30; and my doctor and my bloodwork confirm that.

Last edited by Avalon1957 : 11-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote