Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:31 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Talking Constipation - come on, I know you're curious

After seeing someone else post about taking Konsyl, I wanted to research what it was. I found this article very interesting from a proctologist. Hope it helps someone.

http://www.doctor-gillis.com/constipation.html
Old 09-26-2003, 03:36 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yup that would be me. Konsyl is the only thing that helped me w/my problem. And I've tried everything.

Thanks for posting this
Old 09-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #3  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

I have a great smoothie recipe that Jennifer3FC posted on the low carb thread that helps me! I modified it a bit to make it a little lower in carbs...

1/4 cup whole milk riccota cheese (2 carbs)
2 scoops of chocolate Protien Powder (3 carbs)
1/2 cup of water
6-8 ice cubes
2 tsps of psyllum husks

Blend in blender until thick and smooth.

This works for me in less than 24 hours! for a total of 5 carbs!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:54 AM   #4  
thin within

i'm gonna have to try this recipe. after 20 days passing with only one small bm on 17th day, i finally got to drink the turkish laxative tea. i had to go to the er because of a reaction to it. soooooo, no more herbal tea for me. the er dr told me that my potassium was low and that low potassium can cause constipation. so now i've got to search the net to see where i can order the psyllium husk and protein powder. any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:51 AM   #5  

I have been doing the Atkins Diet for two months now. At first I did have a little bit of trouble with constipation. Now I drink tons of water, about 120 oz. or more when I go to the gym. This has kept me regular with no more problems.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Fulfig - try the GNC siteGNC
Old 10-01-2003, 04:49 AM   #7  
thin within

thanks karen. we went to gnc here last night. one bottle of 90 capsules was 39 million tl or roughly $28 plus 18% kdv tax. i was just looking at the vitaglo site that jennifer mentioned. it looks a lot cheaper. to get free shipping, have to order at least $50 worth. so, i've got to decide what all i need.

bignate--i too drink a lot of water--never less than half gallon, but usually a gallon or little more. thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #8  
I'm a Jovi Girl

OH MY! I wouldnt pay that either Fulfig!!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally posted by fullfig
i'm gonna have to try this recipe. after 20 days passing with only one small bm on 17th day, i finally got to drink the turkish laxative tea. i had to go to the er because of a reaction to it. soooooo, no more herbal tea for me. the er dr told me that my potassium was low and that low potassium can cause constipation. so now i've got to search the net to see where i can order the psyllium husk and protein powder. any suggestions?
Cola drinks(sugar free) have a lot of potassium.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #10  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Leenie - How is it you take your Konsyl???? I tried it in a glass of sf wylers punch and it was disgusting! It did help but oh my!!!! Do you dissolve it in something warm? If so, what?
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Kim, I know it can make you gag, me too, I fought it in the beginning...

I take a tiny glass maybe 3 - 4 oz of Diet Rite Black Cherry soda, I swirl it around w/a spoon to get the gas bubbles out, then I put a tea spoon of Konsyl in it and gulp it down as fast as I can, then I back that up with some water, just to make sure I wash it down real good.

The black cherry soda helps ALOT !!!!

I can't drink it w/water........ick! taste like dirt. lol

BUT !!! it does work
Old 10-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #12  
thin within

the best i could do for psyllium husks in my neck of the woods is sugar free metamucil. i'm assuming the net carb would be 0 being the 5 carbs are from 3g dietary fiber and 2g soluble fiber. i hope this is the case anyway. i've got to have relief though. it's not bad in a blender concoction. actually, it had sort of a dreamsicle taste. it is orange flavored. the commissary is checking to see if it can order some protein powder. do you have to have this for smoothies? i put in ice, water, metamucil, ricotta cheese, a little half and half (would be better with heavy cream), and a little vanilla extract. i'm assuming there are no carbs in imitation vanilla flavoring. i hope i'm right anyway.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #13  
reaching my goals

I tried the Konsyl this weekend and had great results. It thickens very fast though. I put too much in I think. I used aspartame free diet soda and had to keep adding to be able to swallow it. After each drink, I drank a lot of water to help dilute it. It is nasty tasting. Yesterday I mixed sour cream with no carb waffle syrup then added Konsyl. Eating it was much easier than drinking it. I drank lots and lots of water afterward. I'm gonna try it in a shake next time.

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for just under $15.00 before tax. I just checked the Konsyl site http://www.konsyl.com/shopping/index.htm and they offer a better price with free shipping. The only catch is that you have to order 3 bottles at a time.

The site also offers an orange flavored one (sf also), an easy stir one and tablets. Has anyone tried these ?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:40 PM   #14  
thin within

thanks, sis. i may have to order some. my sf orange metamucil is doing absolutely nothing. i'll have to check the site after i get up in the morning. good night all.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I've never really had a problem with this before, usually the opposite. I'm sorry to hear the metamucil isn't working, that was my next thing to try. My doc suggested dulcolax, and all it does is make me have cramps and no movements, sorry so graphic. What gives?
Closed Thread