South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #1  

Default Just curious, why did you choose SBD?

I ordered my book and hope to get it soon so I have not officially started.

I'm curious, why did you choose the SBD? Did most of you try WW and for whatever reason find it was not for you? For me, I did WW and lost weight and made lifetime on the 123 program. Then after the birth of my second child I tried WW again and lost all but about 10-15 pounds. I"m in the 18-23 point range and have been stuck in a rut. That is why I"m wanting to try the SBD. It sounds like a good program and I'm looking forward to giving it a try!
Old 07-13-2003, 05:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

agb, I had great success with WW several years ago (pre child #2), but I just got fed up with counting everything. I don't have to count with this diet! I know what I can and can't eat, and it's that simple.
And I'm happy to report that it's working just fine.
I hope you like it!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #3  

I'm with Ellis. I barely have time to shave both legs in the same day with three small children, let alone try to be counting every bite I eat and the points it contains! This is sooooooo easy-and it works!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #4  

My story is about the same as both of you. I had success with WW and reached my goal. I have gained some back and am sick to death with keeping track of everything. I just can't count points for the rest of my life to maintain. I got to a point where being "OP" had nothing to do with eating right or feeling well. Too many fake foods kept me craving things that were not good for me.

I feel that SBD is a much more nutritionally sound approach. I don't mean to imply that you can't eat healthy on WW - just that I wasn't. I am so happy to be free of my obsession with counting points and I haven't felt better in years.

Even if I were at goal today - I'd still be eating the way I am on SBD (Phase 2). That - my friends is a major breakthrough.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:05 AM   #5  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 173.5/ 156.6 /145

Height: 5'4"

agb1,
I am also a wwlifetimer. I have been trying to loose
10 lbs for about 6 months with no success. Just can't seem
to stay on the program. So, thought maybe a change would help.
I did Akins about 25 years ago and lost weight. But, it is just
too restrictive and SBD sounds a little more realistic after the
first phase. I haven't started yet. I am going out of town this
weekend so thought I would start it next Monday! Good luck!!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:17 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've been dieting for over 40 years and this is the first one I've hit without any counting or journalling. I am so sick of the food obsession! Even phase I is better than Atkins because I can eat legumes. I am a bean salad freak!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #7  

Sounds like I'm with the majority. Did WW,made Life Time but after several years of writing EVERYTHING down and counting points for everything, I got so tired of it. Also, if I went over my 18-23 range I immediately gained weight, and 18-23 points is NOT much food! Couldn't maintain my loss without counting and journaling either. . I find SoBe much, much easier and I feel that I'm eating healthier also.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:20 AM   #8  
it's always something

I really like not having to count anything, and the fact that you are in complete control of your food choices, after you hit the second phase. While it has been a little limited, it's been fun to see how creative we can be. Who'd have ever thought you could enjoy a serving of ricotta cheese so much, that wasn't wrapped in lasagna sheets!!

I chose the diet for the health benefits. I'm really impressed with the success of this diet on heart patients, and the lengthy studies to back it up. It seems to be one of the healthiest diets I've looked at. I've been searching for something I can follow for the rest of my life, and I think this is it.

I didn't think I'd be able to get used to not having my bread, pasta, unlimited fruits, etc. However, it's really been so much easier than I thought!

It's not low carb, and it's not low fat. But it works!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:58 AM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Pretty much the same reasons as everyone else!! I found low carb works best for me, but I just couldn't handle all the heavy fats, and craved carbs too much. WW worked okay up to a point, and then I'd get carried away by the choices (I CANNOT eat a small amount of fries and quit.) or just plain be too hungry. This is healthy, fills me up, and allows ENOUGH carbs that I don't seem to need the ones we aren't allowed!!
Old 07-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #10  

Well, I was just looking for a little structure. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost about 30lbs. But with Atkins I felt too restricted....no bread, no pasta and no rice was just too much. After about a year I gave up on atkins and have since gained all the weight back. About 4 months ago I decided to cut back on sweets...I did that and stopped eating after 7:00. But I was still lacking structure and consistency with WHAT to eat. I thought about ediets but was leary. Then one day I saw Dr. Agaston on the Today show. I decided to get the book and was really impressed. In reading I found that in time, with this way of life, I could eat bread, pasta and rice again--whole wheat and brown are fine with me! I also liked that I wasn't eating a bunch of fat like I was on Atkins. I started this WOL on May 14 and have found it to be great!!

Nancy
Old 07-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #11  

Been there-done that! Tried them all-failed them all! Then I read SBD in Prevention- lurked on their boards and jumped in with both feet! This is the first time DH has joined in so maybe that's what makes it so much easier. We've never looked back! We started May 12th- I've shed 23 and DH 22. It's now become a lifestyle! I have a lot to lose and DH has less. I'm staying with this one!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow! Stories of my life!!

I can't track the book down in our little city, but am in the big city on Monday. Hopefully I can get a copy there. If not, the local bookstore has me on the list for when they arrive in a few weeks.

I know low carb works for me. Followed Atkins for 2 months - lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks (35 total to lose) and then stalled... and stalled.. and stalled... and I miss fruit!!

Gonna continue to hang around and lurk lots
Old 07-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #13  

I have been on EVERY diet known to man.....and this one is by far the easiest, and seems to be the healthiest for me. I don't have to worry about measuring, counting etc.....seems almost foolproof, huh?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:24 AM   #14  

Hi All,

I too was looking for a lifestyle change. Something that I could live with and take the weight loss as it comes.

I have tried them all! I am almost 51, menapausal and hypothyroid, my metabolism just wouldn't budge, even with daily exercise. So I started this journey on May 12 th and it is something I adjusted to right away and feel good about physically and mentally. I AM IN CONTROL!!!!!! What a great feeling that is. I can now attend a party and watch people eat and not be bothered. I can cook for my family and eat only what I planned for myself...I have regained my self esteem. I don't consider anything a CHEAT anymore! If I want to have a 1/4 cup of low fat ice cream once a week I DO. I had a slice of pizza (one, how about that ) the other night. I have decided that I would start incorporating SMALL portions of the things that I enjoy once a week. I DO NOT FEEL DEPRIVED...except for fruit

You are probably wondering how much I have lost...well, it's 13 pounds in 9 weeks...for me, this is WONDERFUL. If I was on WW or Jenny Craig, etc...I'd feel awful about the numbers, but not now. The reason I can continue on this journey and not get discouraged is because it is NOT a diet!! I have to undo years of abusing my body and sooner or later it's going to respond to this healthly lifestyle.

That's my story and I am sticking to it

Welcome to all the newbies...looking forward to knowing all of you.

Meg
Old 07-15-2003, 11:27 AM   #15  

I'm a former Weight Watcher, too (although I'll always be watching my weight!).

I did pretty well with WW plan, but after two years I found myself in a very stubborn plateau. This diet works great for me, too --and I find it much easier to follow and stick with.

My problem was a bad sugar habit, and this diet has absolutely cured me of sugar and simple carb cravings. The recipes are very good, and I've found a lot of great suggestions here and at the Prevention site.

Best of luck to you!
Closed Thread