Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #1  
~ready_for_change~

S/C/G: 205/205/140

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Well I just fell off the IP wagon...: /

So something came over me about an hour ago and even though I knew I shouldn't, I reasoned myself into eating a bunch of crap I shouldn't have. It's my 10th day and I just acted like a total food addict! Anyone else fallen off and could give some advice on how to handle those " I have to this" times?
itshammertime23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #2  
~ready_for_change~

S/C/G: 205/205/140

Height: 5'6

Red face Fell off the IP wagon for about an hour..: /

So something came over me about an hour ago and even though I knew I shouldn't, I reasoned myself into eating a bunch of crap I shouldn't have. It's my 10th day and I just acted like a total food addict! Anyone else fallen off and could give some advice on how to handle those " I have to this" times?
itshammertime23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

1. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tastes as good as skinny feels.

2. On IP, cheating will throw you out of ketosis and set you back 3-4 days. Huge waste of time, money and self-confidence.

Now, forgive yourself and get back on the wagon.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #4  
Started IP 1/10/12

S/C/G: 175.2/146.6/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
Now, forgive yourself and get back on the wagon.
That's really the best advice. It happened, you regret it, you want to do better. So show yourself you can do better. We're human, we err and we must move on.

The consequences are that your weight loss will be stalled for a few days, and likely that is "punishment" enough, so don't mentally beat yourself down. If you're having one of those compulsive moments, go for a walk, talk to a friend, and if you're going to eat something make it be something on program like a hard boiled egg or more salad. You'll feel better in the end.

Chin up!
tenniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Yup
Tomorrow will be day 1 again. Start fresh and make sure you have a meal plan you like and can stick to!

Good luck!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

The thing is with low carb diets, unlike diets such as Weight Watchers, when you cheat you not only stall or gain weight, but you also throw yourself out of ketosis and you have to start the WHOLE process all over again. So not worth it on so many levels. Find out what your triggers are, make the commitment to yourself and your health and get back on the wagon. This is absolutely not the kind of diet and you can cheat, even just a little, without doing a lot of harm.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/140/125

Height: 4'10"

I agree with everyone else. Forgive yourself and get back OP don't let it derail you! You can do this!
Mkssweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

I think of myself as being on a "prescription" rather than a diet. The prescription is for treating excess fat with the IP plan and foods. In the past, "diets" held the old ideas of going off the diet or cheating, etc. IP is different in this way ro me. It is a prescription for ketosis and it is up to me to remain there for it to work well.

I n order not to return to my old habits when I experience triggers, i have to have a plan as ro how I am going to handle those. When I have a craing for somehing, I drink my hot tea. I got a nice collection of flavors. sometimes I go through several cups of tea! If it is during the day, I go on a walk or go get in the car and run errands. I do something to break my mindpattern or to replace the eating. The craving does eventually pass. Also, I make sure none of the foods that would be tempting are available easily. This gives me time to regroup.

Even if we slip, there really is no option but to get abck on the horse! I try to learn from those bumps in the road so that I can make a better plan for obstacles. I have found this a journey in learning a lot about myself. Learning is good because it helps us in the future. We are all doing the best we can at any moment, so forgive and love yourself. Sometimes that is my biggest lesson.

Last edited by Samba; 02-10-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I have cleaned out my cupboards and refrigerator of all foods that could possibly call my name. So when I feel the urge to eat something that isn't on-protocol, I would have to get in my car and actually go to a store & buy it. Makes it just too difficult to get my hands on whatever it is and gives me time to allow that urge to go away.

Sometimes what I really want/need is a nap because I am tired or something to occupy me because I am bored or a hug from someone because I am depressed.

And sometimes I figure out something as close as possible in an Ideal Protein product to satisfy that urge and eat it instead.

You can do this! You will be so happy when you stick with the protocol and the weight just starts falling off.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I read from someone early on that the only way they would allow themselves to cheat is to rip up 2 $20 bills because in effect that's what you're doing when you cheat on the plan. Instead of the next 3-4 days being about fat burning your body is going to be going back into ketosis. I have always thought of that when my cravings hit.

The other thing I try to remember is that in 6 months I will NOT remember the food. I will remember the good times, playing with my kids, class parties, weddings, baby showers, but you never think back and think "Man I wish I had eaten more at that baby shower".

Now, like PP have said it's happened and hopefully you can learn from this and have the tools you need to deal with it in the future.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #11  
itsallhis

S/C/G: 211/179.1/150

Height: 5'0

You fell off? It's ok forgive yourself and get back up, dust the dirt off your shoulders, and smile! This diet is hard ! You can do this!
Ducksmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/197/170

Height: 5'10"

The first two weeks are the hardest, I'll give you that. After that, cravings go away. If you feel tempted, drink a huge glass of ice cold water, and maybe flavor it with some Mio. You can do this, but you are the only one who can decide to do it. You are doing this for YOU, and if you are worth it. Get up and start over, and remember how awful you feel for cheating. You are the only one you're hurting when you cheat...
Icathinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

FORGIVE YOURSELF!!!!! Learn from the advice of others here on 3FC and jump right back on the IP train. This is just my opinion but here it goes: Don't try to make your plan to be 100% OP for the entire time you are on the plan...just make it your plan to be 100% OP one day at a time. Also, if you're weakness is something sweet, like mine, try having a spoonful of WF chocolate syrup or caramel sauce. They are both 0/0/0 and help take care of my sweet tooth. If it is the salty treats you crave try the kale chips.

And oh yeah..did I mention forgive yourself?
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #14  
INACTIVE

What kind of crap was it? Maybe we can help you with some recipes.

Like everyone has said, forgive yourself and move on. If you think you are acting like a food addict, maybe try to find the underlying cause. What is triggering you? What did you say to reason yourself into it? And, maybe if you feel you deserve something ("just this once...I have to have it...") go and reward/distract yourself with a non-food item.

If it is all just too much to handle, try going to bed early. These are just cravings, they will pass--but you have to be stronger than they are. If you aren't, then this will all be a big waste of money. All I can say is that if you are faithful to the plan it is 100% guaranteed to work! Seriously! No guessing, no wondering, no worrying. So, be happy that you found IP and commit yourself to following it. It's not that bad--I mean, there are diets out there that have you eating cereal for 2 meals, or only salads, etc. How unsatisfying! At least we have some degree of normalcy on IP and with a little preparation and creativity, you can actually enjoy yourself.

We are all here to help, but no one can carry you--you must carry your own weight and if you stick to the plan, that weight will be easier to carry!
SomedayBubblySomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

When this happened to me, I had a "revelation" of sorts. I felt so awful, physically and mentally, that I realized that instead of "indulging" myself, or "treating" myself with that cheat, I had actually punished myself. Not one good thing came of it. And so many good things had been coming out of staying OP. Now, why would I want to punish myself like that?? It was kind of an eye opener.
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote