Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 6 - February 12

Congratulations to all the fans of the Giants for the amazing Super Bowl game last night.

The good news is that I made a large bowl of guacamole for the first time for the two expected guests who watched with me. The bad news is that I ate my fair share. It was so good. But the calories weren't particularly diminished just because I had thoughtfully provided Red Bell Peppers for the dipping tool.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill At least you got multiple servings of veggies with your dip and "chips".

I am on red line - and glad of it as last week's excesses were pretty severe.

The good news is I've now got 2 new doggies on the bus - Tulip the labrador and "Hap" Junior, a little mixed breed named Lucy.

Tulip is a big confident girl who is being fostered while waiting for a new forever home. She was found out in the countryside and she is a really "dog" dog - no furbaby stuff for her!

Lucy is a little fireball lab/something mix who was found running around on a major traffic artery. She totally "got" that I was the boss dog when I entered her house. I felt like Cesar Millan. Lucy's new people were mightily impressed with me.

The bad news is that DH is going to quit his job and go further into debt while looking for a new position. More stress and anxiety coming down the pipe. SIGH.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, I am just sitting here shaking my head wondering why your SO would want to do such an irresponsible thing. I am sorry if I am sticking my nose into your/his business, but I am totally befuddled at such thinking.
Employers will think an employed person is more desirable than one who quits a job after a few weeks. Employers like to see a stable work history. Dagmar you most be the world's most patient woman.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, it's a good thing you're not legally married to him, or his debts would be yours. That is, I assume you haven't lent him money or gone into debt on his behalf... that would not be wise given his history.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-06-2012 at 07:02 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Dagmar, it's a good thing you're not legally married to him, or his debts would be yours. That is, I assume you haven't lent him money or gone into debt on his behalf... that would not be wise given his history.

Jay
We are not legally married. Our money has always been totally separate, as has our property. I joke that we can go through the house, putting His/Hers labels on everything. We don't even own a toaster together (that gadget is mine ).

I agree with you bargoo that employed people are more desirable as hires. DH feels that he can't successfully job hunt unless he's working part-time or unemployed. He still has to pay his portion of our expenses so I go along with it. It produces a lot of anxiety for me and DH "gets" that but he's adamant that he has to have time to job hunt and interview.

And this might all change by the end of the week so I'm not going to do too much hand-wringing at this point.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, is it the job that he has that's the problem, or is it him? What I'm getting at is, is this guy one of those people who's always going to find fault with the job he's in and always be chasing after some perfect position? Is this nonsense going to end once he actually gets the next job?

All I can say is, dude is sooo lucky he's in the relationship with you, and not with me or a couple of the other women on this forum.

Why does he get to be lucky, while you don't? I don't understand why. Dear, you are lovable. "You is smart, you is pretty, you is important." All the dogs who meet you know this. You can get something better than what you've got. This is not your lot & burden to carry through your life, and you are not chained to this forever, and you're not automatically responsible in some fashion, as you are in a sense for your difficult father. This one ain't mandatory, this one is totally optional.

Okay, now I've broken one of my rules, which I will regret when you & your Significant Other are cuddling on the sofa next week on Valentine's Day and committing to spend another 10 years together, and you think all the advice you got here is coming from bitter females who just don't understand your special relationship dynamics or see all the true good in the guy.

Last edited by saef; 02-06-2012 at 08:21 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Saef, you know sometimes

one has to break one's rules.

Dagmar, jeez. It is wrong that this man is treating you like this.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I had a busy weekend filled with performance and shake 'n bake chicken drumsticks, which my character was required to eat part of one each evening (was supposed to be fried chicken so not so bad). Sunday evening I wanted nothing more but to sink into the sofa in my pj's but BF's sis & BIL had showed up Friday evening, so I felt obligated to spend some time w them (they are nice...but a little weird). I went to another of their family member's house where they were all watching the superbowl. We are doing two more performances of the show next weekend, but will only get together two nights this week so I have a free evening tonight! I'm hoping the work week will get me back on schedule as that is how my body operates best. My sleep schedule is all thrown off from late nights, my eating schedule is thrown off as well.

I also went into the backyard on Saturday and visited this neglected place called my garden. I picked a huge bunch of kale, mixed lettuce greens, and about 6 cups of snowpeas. I put some in salad and am thinking stir-fry tonight. Yum yum!

Dagmar, wow, I just don't have any words. I don't understand it, but I'm not there in your shoes. Glad you have two new furry friends to keep your spirits up.

Bill, guac is so good! It amazes me how much I, who didn't like avocados until a few years ago, love them now. I was all over the avocado sale at the grocery store this week. I bought them to add to sandwiches and salads this week, but they're still ripening. Sad.

At least it's a healthy fat? Great job with using peppers instead of tortilla chips, too!

Have a good week all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
The good news is that I made a large bowl of guacamole for the first time for the two expected guests who watched with me. The bad news is that I ate my fair share. It was so good. But the calories weren't particularly diminished just because I had thoughtfully provided Red Bell Peppers for the dipping tool.
I'm proud to say that I made a moderate amount of guacamole (about a cup) and ate less than a teaspoon of it. The cream cheese with raspberry chipotle salsa on rosemary raisin crackers was my downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Bill

The good news is I've now got 2 new doggies on the bus - Tulip the labrador and "Hap" Junior, a little mixed breed named Lucy.
Glad to hear you got new dogs to walk. Sorry to hear about DH and his struggles. He sounds a little like my FIL's brother--always out to do the next best thing that will make him oodles of money in no time. Meanwhile everything around him is neglected. He finally figured it out at about age 55 or 60 and got a regular job and actually worked there until his retirement last year. He's not rich--never can get that way with his get rich schemes, but he has a home and he's been fixing it up himself and it's quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post

I also went into the backyard on Saturday and visited this neglected place called my garden. I picked a huge bunch of kale, mixed lettuce greens, and about 6 cups of snowpeas. I put some in salad and am thinking stir-fry tonight. Yum yum!
So jealous of your garden!

We went to see The Gray yesterday. What a movie! Came home and fixed a tray full of goodies to munch while watching the Superbowl (great game!) and placed them between DH and FIL who went on to consume the majority of it. I had a little more than I had planned but having it far away was a good move. I was in the kitchen making white chicken chili, so I didn't partake of as many chips. I did have a bit more wine than planned, but my weight is only up slightly, so I don't think I did too much damage.

Have a wonderful week everyone!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
The cream cheese with raspberry chipotle salsa on rosemary raisin crackers was my downfall.

!
Tell ne more about this ......like how do you make it.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- sorry hon, but I agree with the others-- Saef said it best. You do deserve so much more than what he brings to the relationship. I hope you realize that at some point.

Sounds like guacamole was on everyone's superbowl menu-- ours too! I had a small scoop with no dipping embellishments. I ate well but my weight is still up 3 pounds from our Italian meal out on Saturday.

I had a very bad night's sleep Saturday night. I woke up having a bad dream about dd and couldn't get back to sleep. I kept worrying about her and started having a panic attack. She has so many issues with her Tourette's that she is neglecting her health in other ways. Her blood pressure is starting to get high (she swears it is medicine that she is getting off of-- we'll see) and her bloodwork shows she is pre-diabetic. I was looking through old pictures for both of their graduations (older from college, younger from high school) and I have pictures of her from 6 years ago when we lived in Africa-- she looks so trim and healthy. It just really upset me. I wanted to talk to her but we have done that. I know she has to be ready to change, but I'm afraid it will be too late.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Tell ne more about this ......like how do you make it.
No secret. I bought the salsa at the store (this one is really good, but the bottle is huge but is also good as a marinade for pork Chipotle Raspberry Salsa). Then all you do is get a brick of cream cheese, put it on a plate and pour the salsa over the top. Serve it with a knife so the crackers don't break.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
No secret. I bought the salsa at the store (this one is really good, but the bottle is huge but is also good as a marinade for pork Chipotle Raspberry Salsa). Then all you do is get a brick of cream cheese, put it on a plate and pour the salsa over the top. Serve it with a knife so the crackers don't break.
Ah, I have done the same using pepper jelly but now I will be looking for Chipotle Raspberry Salsa, THanks
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Here's a game changer: I bought plane tickets to attend my 20th high school reunion this weekend. The event is March 23/24 so I have about seven weeks to lose as much weight as I possibly can.

My parents are coming to watch the kids while dh and I fly to Florida (we live in Nebraska). So my daughter will have to be night weaned - I'm good with that as I used to always go to sleep after night-feedings but the past six months or so I've started having problems with insomnia for an hour or so when she gets me up any time after midnight. She only gets up once most of the time, but still...the insomnia thing is driving me crazy.

We are spending more on this trip than we did on our wedding and honeymoon combined. Okay, granted, we got married for less than $1000 (we eloped). And our 10th wedding anniversary is in May. So this will be a bit early of a celebration.

So this morning I didn't eat or drink ANYTHING and went to a WW meeting (with children in tow) and weighed in 1.2 pounds above my goal weight, which is within the +/- 2 pounds in order to attend the meeting free as a Lifetime Member. Then I had a chai tea latte at Starbucks, but that is only 5 points (and planned) so it was okay.

I also ordered Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred which will arrive tomorrow. We got 13 inches of snow this weekend so my favorite exercise - walking outside - is totally out of the question. I figure I can do a DVD if I absolutely have to, and it's only 20 minutes. I don't expect to lose the promised 20 pounds or anything since I'm at a healthy weight to begin with, but I do expect to lose something and look a LITTLE better when I attend the reunion.

So that's the state of things in this corner of the prairie.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Oh Dagmar, sweetheart... I'm with Saef, and the other women on here. You are such a good person, and so good to DH. You don't deserve to be treated the way he treats you. The occasional nice thing here and there doesn't make up for other stuff that he piles on you regularly. I hope that you know how special that you are.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote