Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Runner's pity party

I went to my dr today because I was having severe calf pain. I am well hydrated, stretching like I should, but the calf pain is still there. He thinks it *may* be compartment syndrome. If it is I won't be able to run anymore. For now he wants me to cut back on mileage, warm up longer, stretch more after, and take some Rx anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks. If I'm not feeling better by then he's going to order more testing.

I've just really started running, and now I may have to stop? I'm so sad. I know I will still be able to do other things, but once you've experienced the runners' high it's hard to walk away from it.

Thanx for reading.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #2  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

How long are you running for?

I have the same bad calve pains. Mine are on the inside of my calves. When I got my shoes from Runners Den, he was looking at how I walk and told me that I need to stretch my calves more.

I don't know if it is the same for you or not. But since then I have been REALLY stretching them, and they have loosened up. They don't hurt when I walk anymore now. Yay!

Good luck!
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3  

Last Wednesday I went for 4 outside. Saturday I was supposed to go 6. I had to go on a treadmill due to weather and barely made it 3. It might just be the treadmill running, after the 4 outside I felt great.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #4  

I wouldn't mess with compartment syndrome. That stuff's scary.

My sympathies.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
I wouldn't mess with compartment syndrome. That stuff's scary.

My sympathies.
I know! Thank you.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Have you tried changing your shoes? I know it's not the same but when I started running at the end of high school I always got knee pain and at the end of my sophomore year I switched to Vibram Five Fingers and in the 3 years I've had them I've never had running related pain. They aren't for everyone but I know a lot of people that experience less pain in them.

Also, I just noticed your avatar and it is awesome. Love Jane Austen.

Last edited by huds; 02-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.
huds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #7  

Could be my shoes. I bought a new pair and joined a running club. When I started participating in the club with my new shoes is when it started. I'll talk to the club's organizer, who happens to also own the running store where I got my shoes.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #8  

I know that a lot of places doing fittings and stuff, but as a barefoot runner, I personally would recommend caution against just letting them toss orthotics at you and call it good. I tend to opt for the less is more but it really is a very personal feel
Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #9  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

A tiny bit off-topic, my apologies but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huds View Post
I know that a lot of places doing fittings and stuff, but as a barefoot runner, I personally would recommend caution against just letting them toss orthotics at you and call it good. I tend to opt for the less is more but it really is a very personal feel
Do you use the foot-like shoes then? I am really interested in them. It seems like the most healthy way of running. But I worry that it feels weird between your toes and gets dirty?
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #10  

I run in barefoot shoes with the toes. The funny thing is, as a teenager, I hated toe socks, like fiery, burning, cut the toes off the toe socks hate. I love my toe shoes. The first few days they feel odd, but not uncomfortable. After a few weeks, you don't even notice you're wearing shoes. They do get smelly if you wear them barefoot (there is a coordinated brand of toe sock called Injiji that I've never tried) but they are machine washable and depending on the model hang dry in 12-24 hours. They're also great for weight lifting.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

You might consider a roller for self-massage. They're becoming increasingly popular and do a wonderful job. A rumble roller is an added bonus. Both options can really help with DOMS recovery and stretching.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote