Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Canadian starting Alternatives - Proteinwell info requested

I heard that Proteinwell is a good site to order from for Alternatives. Like many I find the cost getting too expensive but want to continue with my journey. I'm going to place my online order at Proteinwell but as you need to order a box at a time I'm hoping to find out what others like.

I'm fairly consistent with my IP products and enjoy the following (so you know if my tastes are similar to yours)
Breakfast - Wildberry Yogurt, cheese omelette, rice cereal
Lunch - Broccoli soup
Snack - Peanut Butter crunch bar, southwestern curls

As much info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. As well as what items you consider restricted

Thanks and have an awesome day!
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #2  

I started with IP and switched to alternatives as I found the cost prohibitive to my family's budget. I order from Nashua, and I also have ordered from proteinwell also. I find the Nashua has more selection. This is what I have tried and like. Bacon and cheese omlete, blueberry and plain pancakes, choc, vanilla, butterscotch pudding (I use these as shakes, waffles, I like to make pumpkin shakes with the butterscotch pudding, etc. I was never a fan of the IP puddings either, but they can be spiced up with 0/0/0 Davinci syrups. I LOVE the hot chocolate and order it by the tub from Nashua. I mix with coffee for a mocha for breakfast. I don't use many bars, as I go with Pure Protein from Walmart. I also buy the premier protein RTD from Costco. The bars I have tried are the crunchy caramel and peanut butter and smooth caramel. Don't get the brownie one, it's gross. I have one box of chocolate cream bars, and take one or two little pieces off one bar for that sweet tooth craving, but it's not a Dairy Milk thats for sure! LOL! Its got crisps in it, not smooth chocolate, but it does the trick. The peach mango fruit drink is gross - really protein tasting! But the grape drink is great!!! I like to keep a few drinks in my desk at work for mid-afternoon on "hungry" days. The chicken noodle soup is another thing I keep in my desk at work. I don't find it very filling for lunch, but it makes a good snack. Good luck!!!!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #3  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

the items I have tried there are:

Chicken Soup, Vegetable Beef Soup, Tomato Basil Soup (GROSS!), Blueberry Pancakes, Chocolate Pudding, Butterscotch Pudding, Hot Cocoa Drink, Crunchy Cereal Chocolate Bar, Honey Nut Soy Cereal, Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal

I have a RTD shake every morning for breakfast that I get from Costco... it is called Premier Nutrition and it has 30 grams of protein so it keeps me nice and full until lunch.

I also buy my protein bars at Walmart now since they are even cheaper then proteinwell. The brand I use is called Pure Protein and they come in a pack of 6 for just under $10. There are 2 kinds... Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate Deluxe.

My day is as follows:

B: shake
L: 1.5 cups of veggies, 2-3 ozs of protein and either soup or bar
S: a few pickles, rest of protein bar if I didn't eat it all
D: 2 cups of veggies with oil, 5 ozs of protein
S: pudding or oatmeal
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185.5/171.5/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
I started with IP and switched to alternatives as I found the cost prohibitive to my family's budget. I order from Nashua, and I also have ordered from proteinwell also. I find the Nashua has more selection. This is what I have tried and like. Bacon and cheese omlete, blueberry and plain pancakes, choc, vanilla, butterscotch pudding (I use these as shakes, waffles, I like to make pumpkin shakes with the butterscotch pudding, etc. I was never a fan of the IP puddings either, but they can be spiced up with 0/0/0 Davinci syrups. I LOVE the hot chocolate and order it by the tub from Nashua. I mix with coffee for a mocha for breakfast. I don't use many bars, as I go with Pure Protein from Walmart. I also buy the premier protein RTD from Costco. The bars I have tried are the crunchy caramel and peanut butter and smooth caramel. Don't get the brownie one, it's gross. I have one box of chocolate cream bars, and take one or two little pieces off one bar for that sweet tooth craving, but it's not a Dairy Milk thats for sure! LOL! Its got crisps in it, not smooth chocolate, but it does the trick. The peach mango fruit drink is gross - really protein tasting! But the grape drink is great!!! I like to keep a few drinks in my desk at work for mid-afternoon on "hungry" days. The chicken noodle soup is another thing I keep in my desk at work. I don't find it very filling for lunch, but it makes a good snack. Good luck!!!!
Is this the hot chocolate you are referring to? http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...-servings.html and is this the RTD shake? http://www.premiernutrition.com/Merc...=PROTEIN-SHAKE

The price is great for the cocoa, around a buck per serving! I'm going to switch from IP to a big jug of this for sure! Haven't price shopped the shakes since I wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right ones.

Does anyone know an equitable replacement for the cappuccino packet, the broccoli cheese soup and the yogurt berry drink? Those are my staples.

Last edited by Lilmink; 01-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Lilmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmink View Post
Is this the hot chocolate you are referring to? http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...-servings.html and is this the RTD shake? http://www.premiernutrition.com/Merc...=PROTEIN-SHAKE

The price is great for the cocoa, around a buck per serving! I'm going to switch from IP to a big jug of this for sure! Haven't price shopped the shakes since I wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right ones.

Does anyone know an equitable replacement for the cappuccino packet, the broccoli cheese soup and the yogurt berry drink? Those are my staples.
Yes those two products are correct! Since ProtiDiet products are generally 15 g protein per serving, I make sure I get 4 packets a day so that I'm over the 100 g protein daily. The RTD from Costco has 30 g so that's a great breakfast, holds you over until lunch!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
I started with IP and switched to alternatives as I found the cost prohibitive to my family's budget. I order from Nashua, and I also have ordered from proteinwell also. I find the Nashua has more selection. !
Thanks for your quick response. I just went on the Nashua site and there is tons of info and products listed. Do you order strictly from the ProtiDiet area? Also how much does a typical shipment cost as I know Proteinwell has free shipping (over $100) which is why I thought I'd try them first
Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I just went on the Nashua site and there is tons of info and products listed. Do you order strictly from the ProtiDiet area? Also how much does a typical shipment cost as I know Proteinwell has free shipping (over $100) which is why I thought I'd try them first
I just placed my first order from Nashua and the shipping was $7.50 for ground shipping in the continental US. It was free over $99.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3LoveBugs View Post
the items I have tried there are:

Chicken Soup, Vegetable Beef Soup, Tomato Basil Soup (GROSS!), Blueberry Pancakes, Chocolate Pudding, Butterscotch Pudding, Hot Cocoa Drink, Crunchy Cereal Chocolate Bar, Honey Nut Soy Cereal, Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
l
Good morning, do you buy most of your stuff from Proteinwell or is this also from Nashua? I'll have to pick up some protein bars from walmart the next time I'm in the city, I did pick up the drinks from Costco and it isn't too bad. Unfortunately I'm 2 hours from the city which makes it difficult to get some items and why online sounds so much easier

Anyone find any products that are "snacky" - I'm really going to miss my southwestern curls as they were my "watch a movie" staple
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmink View Post
I just placed my first order from Nashua and the shipping was $7.50 for ground shipping in the continental US. It was free over $99.
Unfortunately not the same for Canadians though....
Have you tried the products? Are you satisfied with them?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  

Talking

Quote:
I literally just ordered them as we are having this discussion. I ordered the hot cocoa, since it's my nightly treat and chocolate fix and thought I'd try the lemon bars that someone raved about.And I ordered the vanilla pudding as I've seen many recipes to make with it but was to cheap to buy a $30 box to play around with. For $11, I'll give it a go. If I don't like it, it's the equivalent price of 2.5 IP packets, so much less risk. The $90 a week for packets is a little out of control. The cocoa is around $1 per serving versus $4.50 at IP. And since it's a little lower in protein, I can add more to make more chocolatey cocoa. I have no problem with that. I bought 8 boxes the first week on IP to keep some variety in the house so I can just say I'm working my way through those for the next couple of weeks. I'm also going to hit Costco for some RTD shakes and work them in. I don't want to get booted for not buying enough IP products.

As for shipping, if you register on the site and put in an order, it will give you shipping options and prices. If it works, you can make an order. If not delete it.

Last edited by Lilmink; 01-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I had posted about this yesterday on the getting restarted thread. Proteinwell is very quick and easy and no shipping fees with an order over $100. I actually get a month's food for what I paid per week at the clinic.

I get the chocolate and vanilla puddings, the blueberry pancakes, cocoa, the honey soy cereal,the oatmeal. I did try some of the bars ,peanut crispy type.

I tried the chicken noodle soup, found it very unsatisfying.

The puddings don't work as well as the IP ones in the recipes but if I start by grinding ice in my magic bullet and then adding water and the packet they firm up into a nice pudding right away or I add more water and make them into a shake.

I also use the Premier Nutrition protein drink from Costco, it is very convenient to have on my long commute in the morning and the 30 grams of protein is a good jumpstart to the day. In a pince I use the detour bars from Costco as they are higher protein and lower carb than many bars but I find they have an aftertaste.

I am really missing the cappichino so decided yesterday to order from someplace else than proteinwell. First I went to Diet Direct which has a wonderful selection of products. I was really glad to see many of the restricted snack type items like the ones I used to get at IP. I made up an order of $100 and when I went to put it through they wanted $70 for shipping and there is also a chance you would have to pay some duty when it is delivered, so I cancelled that one.
Then I went to Nashua and made up an order there because I really wanted the cappichino. This time I ordered $80 worth and it said $22 for the shipping. But when I got my paypal reciept that had somehow translated to $30. If I hadn't gone to DD first I likely wouldn't have completed the Nashua order because of the shipping cost but $30 seemed a deal after $70 and I have enough cappichinoo to last me a long time.

The thing to be careful about is the American products are much more likey to have aspertame in them than the Canadian ones.

The bars I like the best are OH YEAH! but I have trouble finding the small size. I can get the big ones at London Drugs or Superstore but hate cutting them in half as the second half is calling my name from the fridge.
I see lots of people use the Pure Protein bars. I keep looking at them at Walmart but they seem to have a lot of calories. Is there a smaller size. Also what is the EAS drinks everyone talks about at Walmart. Can you get that at the Canadian Walmart?

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #12  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Hello,

When ordering from any site that is it not Canadian, such as Nashua, I used this site to calculate the final cost; it is simply called thefinalcost.com. You simply enter the info, choose USPS & it will calculate the exact cost you'd be playing.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #13  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I had posted about this yesterday on the getting restarted thread. Proteinwell is very quick and easy and no shipping fees with an order over $100. I actually get a month's food for what I paid per week at the clinic.

I get the chocolate and vanilla puddings, the blueberry pancakes, cocoa, the honey soy cereal,the oatmeal. I did try some of the bars ,peanut crispy type.

The puddings don't work as well as the IP ones in the recipes but if I start by grinding ice in my magic bullet and then adding water and the packet they firm up into a nice pudding right away or I add more water and make them into a shake.

I also use the Premier Nutrition protein drink from Costco, it is very convenient to have on my long commute in the morning and the 30 grams of protein is a good jumpstart to the day. In a pince I use the detour bars from Costco as they are higher protein and lower carb than many bars but I find they have an aftertaste.

I am really missing the cappichino so decided yesterday to order from someplace else than proteinwell. First I went to Diet Direct which has a wonderful selection of products. I was really glad to see many of the restricted snack type items like the ones I used to get at IP. I made up an order of $100 and when I went to put it through they wanted $70 for shipping and there is also a chance you would have to pay some duty when it is delivered, so I cancelled that one.
Then I went to Nashua and made up an order there because I really wanted the cappichino. This time I ordered $80 worth and it said $22 for the shipping. But when I got my paypal reciept that had somehow translated to $30. If I hadn't gone to DD first I likely wouldn't have completed the Nashua order because of the shipping cost but $30 seemed a deal after $70 and I have enough cappichinoo to last me a long time.

The thing to be careful about is the American products are much more likey to have aspertame in them than the Canadian ones.

The bars I like the best are OH YEAH! but I have trouble finding the small size. I can get the big ones at London Drugs or Superstore but hate cutting them in half as the second half is calling my name from the fridge.
I see lots of people use the Pure Protein bars. I keep looking at them at Walmart but they seem to have a lot of calories. Is there a smaller size. Also what is the EAS drinks everyone talks about at Walmart. Can you get that at the Canadian Walmart?

Pat
Hello,

I also never found these Eas shakes at Walmart as well, and I looked in two provinces: Quebec and Ontario.

What's I found at Walmart though is what I exclusively use for my restricted a day, they are the Jamieson Slim Down bars which come in many flavours and they 100% comparable to UP Nutritional value.

H
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #14  
Start WW 360 Jan 31, 2013

S/C/G: (H255.5)s208.4/c198.2/g175

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post

Pat
Hi Patns, I have found 3 different flavored bars of the small Oh Yeah at my Walmart. Also bought at my local Superstore and also had bought some at Sherwood Park Superstore last fall. They sure are good!! Maybe yours would order you in some if you took the label in for the smaller size.

Are all the products from Proteinwell with Splenda? Went to the site but couldn't find an ingredients list.
grannyto2bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes the same products at proteinwell had the same sweetener as in Splenda.I think there must be different regulations in Canada. Sandra I will look for those Jamieson bars. 2011, it was the Sherwood Park Superstore where I found the big Oh Yeah bars. I will check back again. Probably the big ones sell better because body builders mostly would be buying them. So they likely stock up on more of them.

My big concern though with ordering outside Canada is that the shipping costs are highway robbery. there is no way it cost them $70 to send a small box that distance.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote