View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Energizer Jamie
66 pounds by October 16!

S/C/G: 206/135.6/140

Height: 5'6"

First off, cheers for all the work outs, that's intense. I'm with the others. Go high protein, low carb! It makes all the difference in the world. There are a number of factors that could be keeping the number on the scale from moving. It's hard to know what's going on without a detailed account of what you eat and when. It could be a metabolism issue, hormonal imbalance, all sorts of things. I don't think an extreme or crazy diet is the answer. I'm doing Jackie Warner's meal plan (From the book This is Why You're Fat-- I HIGHLY recommend the book). It's sensible, built to challenge the factors that keep pounds on, and gives you some freedom for 2 meals out of the week so you don't feel "deprived".

Whatever you do, don't undo all your hard workouts with girl scout cookies or ice cream. One serving of ice cream can undo a lot of hard work and takes a lot of exercise to burn off. You said in your post that you "somewhat" watch what you eat, eat what you want "sometimes". You said you haven't seen a piece of white bread, but then said that you take the cheese off of a piece of pizza (which, unless you made it at home) is usually white. I think the somewhats, sometimes, and some misconceptions about the types of foods you eat could be the answer to your problems.

I did Weight Watchers for many years and now that I've tried something else- I see some of the flaws with Weight Watchers "eat what you want within reason" mentality. Don't get me wrong, Weight Watchers is great on many levels- but most of the good advice was just that-advice. They would suggest healthy foods and activities without really pushing the issue. If you wanted to eat a tiny bit of junk that used up all your points, you were free to do that. Just count the points. But ice cream isn't satisfying long term and soon you're wanting to eat again because ice cream has little nutritional value and your body craves nutrients or something more satisfying like protein. Also the program offers more leeway now more than ever for "extra" points. When I first did their program many years ago, it was much stricter and I had more success. I honestly think that they intentionally set you up to eat more than you should so your weight loss takes longer and they get paid every week, month, etc. Do what you common sense tells you. If you want change, change. Finally, you said you don't want to deprive yourself, but you can't think of eating healthily as deprivation or you're setting yourself up to hate the very keys to your success. And don't cheat by eating ice cream because the ice cream is the real deprivation. It's depriving you of your goal.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to sound preachy, you just sound exactly like I did and the advice I'm giving you is ultimately the advice that helped me.

Last edited by Energizer Jamie; 01-25-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Energizer Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote