Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Question After a "binge" last night, how should I eat/exercise today?

I ate thousands of calories of Chinese food late last night, big mistake! I'm going to count my calories and workout like I always do today, but it will give me peace of mind to go to the gym twice or eat half of my calories or something today. Is that bad or do you do that too after a slip up?
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I definitely think it's best to just move on. Drink lots of water and don't weigh yourself for a while (I usually wait at least 4 days). If you're not that hungry, it would be good to eat on the lower end of your calorie range but if you are hungry, just keep eating as usual. Put it behind you and try to learn from the experience. I heard a great quote here...something about failure isn't falling down, it's not getting back up. Hang in there and you will do great.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

This is one of those questions where everyone feels different. Some people do cut down their calories by a few hundred the next few days and workout an extra ten or so minutes the next few days. Some people get right back to their normal plan the next day. You just have to find what works best for you. For some people restricting more calories than usual sets them up for another binge. It was just one night and although it feels big right now in the grand scheme of things you are doing just fine. Hang in there!!!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #4  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

I don't think halfing your calories for today is going to help you. That's just going to set you up to binge again when you're so hungry from cutting that far. Do you get what i'm saying?

What made you binge? Was there a certain reason? I would definitely do what you usually do, eat better, exercise; but don't overdo it too much. Just try to do better.

Have you thought about doing something else besides what you're doing now diet wise?
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I would go right back to your normal plan. For me, at least, if I try to compensate by fasting or cutting calories too low the day after, it just leads to another binge and it spirals downward from there. Just hop back on the wagon and you'll be fine - one day won't hurt your progress much.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #6  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

I agree with everyone.
Pump lots of water and go back to your normal program. Don't forget that you're trying to stay on a sustainable plan, not go from one extreme to another. You'll be fine.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Drink a LOT of water (it will help with all that sodium that chinese food has) and just continue as normal, maybe cut back by 250 or 500 calories for the day. It's a bump in the road, not a total derail.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #8  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

hey i do something similar every couple of weekends or so- i eat really clean for the most part, but i am a mid-twenty-something and my closest friends are very "socially involved" which means we go out quite a bit- given that we are in our twenties, most of us are done school, and are young professionals at the least, and those with companies who have some money to burn on the higher range of the "circumstance" scale.

anyways, every other weekend or so, it'll be like, twice in one week and then off for 2 weeks is when i crack and go out with them, i am a bartender by trade, and by habit, but i work a professional desk job which means that i like to break loose every so often. which means this typically leads to drinking, and a 4 or 5 am "snack" (my FAVOURITE cheat snack :read as meal, is mcdonalds.) so the nights we go out, i will indulge in a double cheeseburger (or 3).

i know that previous paragraph just made many posters cringe.

BUT the thing is, i also find that i a) wake up not hungry, and b) usually stay full for most of the next day.

usually, in my mind it is "on plan, as planned" but i won't eat if i am not hungry. i wait until i get truly, truly hungry, drink LOTS of water to get the bad stuff out, exercise etc. if i feel the need to eat lots, i will eat clean- make sure there is lots of protein and freggies in there, maybe a little carbs if that's what my body is asking for.

listen to your body, you're allowed cheat days, you shouldn't punish yourself and your body by pumping out extra workouts, unless you feel as though the extra workout will clear up your system and get you over that post-binge "food hangover".
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #9  

I do usually try to cut back a bit the next day. I cycle my calories, though (and have since the beginning), so doing that is "normal" to me. I don't cut back drastically, though, as for me that would set me up to eat even more!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #10  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Personally I think jumping back into your regular plan is the best way to go, and drinking ALOT of water. We're not perfect and we all have cheat days. Don't let it effect you and don't worry about it. Just say away from the scale for a few days. Chinese food is so incredibly salty so you are no doubt retaining a bunch of water :P
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Wow! Thanks so much for your help everyone! Next step: Not to feel so guilty and down in the dumps anytime I have a slip up!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Honestly, when I fall into traps like this, I do try and keep the next day really clean. Lots of veggies, some fruit, lean protein. Calorie wise, I hit the same level, but its the cleanest, best food I can get. Helps with the post-binge tummy problems.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote