General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default What are you reading Jan 2012

Happy 2012 3FC!!!

Please share with us what you are reading this month? I am actually at a point where I am not in the middle of one, and don't know which one to start. Maybe you all have a recommendation??
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Well, I'm still reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it's a Fantasy novel, and it had me from the first page, and I'm picky about the fantasy novels I read.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I doubt I'll be reading any books this month that aren't related to work, school, or health. (World's tiniest violin, right?) However, if I do start a new novel it will probably be something by Pat Conroy. Maybe The Prince of Tides. I read The Lords of Discipline last month and was blown away by his writing.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

CanadianCutie: Patrick Rothfuss is great. I've read Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear and cannot wait for more.

I'm not sure where to start yet but I received a gift of many books. One in particular called 'Mind Training" about meditation will most likely be my next read! I always feel more introspective in the winter...
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #5  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

I've just started "The Innocent" by Taylor Stevens. It is a sequel to her first book, "The Informationist", which I really enjoyed.
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Right now I am reading Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones series). I'm also reading The Reaping by Leighton. =) Both great reads.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I'm reading A Game of Thrones from the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin! I feel behind the times because EVERYONE I know has already read all of them but whatever! Thank goodness for my Nook though, it has me reading a lot more
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm reading American Nations by Colin Woodard, a fascinating piece of nonfiction that says that there are 11 "nations" on the North American continent that cross state and international boundaries. New England, for example, has very different aspirations and ideals than the Deep South and all of that springs from the different ways and people that founded each "nation." He says that accounts for a lot of the divisive throughout our history and into today. I'm learning all kinds of stuff about 17th and 18th century history, both global and American, that I never know and really explains some things.

I've heard lots of good things about Game of Thrones, but I've resisted so far. They are so big!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

Right now I am working my way through The End of Overeating, which I've found really informative and helpful. I've also been reading [I]The Book Thief[I] to see whether it's anything I might be able to use with my advanced students. I've been meaning to read it for years, but avoided it because of the way the first couple of pages are written. Now that I'm getting further along it's written so beautifully and I can't wait to see how it progresses.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #10  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I am on the last Hunger Games book, Mockingjay. I had to force myself to stop reading because I wasn't sleeping. I read Catching Fire in one day and night. I probably would do the same with Mockingjay if I let myself. It's getting late again, and I want to read a little of it, but I know I can't, because then I'll be up the rest of the night.

I started A Clash of Kings, but then I stopped when I got my Nook for Christmas and bought all of the Hunger Games books. Not sure what to do now. I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes yesterday (it was short - about 250 pages, so it only took me an afternoon). The Nook is a dangerous thing for me to have. I also bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd like to read it before I see the movie.

Last edited by theCandEs; 01-02-2012 at 12:39 AM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #11  

Height: 5'5''

One of my new year's resolutions is to make a sincere effort with dating in order to find 'the one' and get married. My friend just became engaged last week and she met her guy online. So I went to Amazon.com, read several ratings/comments from people and waiting for the following books to arrive in a couple of days to start reading:

Why Men Love *****es: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Marry *****es: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart

The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace

All the Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right

I keep on attracting jerks (even online!), so I know I'm doing something "wrong". I hope I find 'the one' this year. I went to a friend's party for NYE and I was the only person attending that was not part of a couple. I hope to change that by the next NYE.
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

audri8301: The End of Overeating started me on this final weight loss journey. It flipped the switch in the brain for me. I've been thinking that I want to read The Book Thief as well, especially since I've been recommending it to older teens based on other people's recommendations.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird3 View Post
One of my new year's resolutions is to make a sincere effort with dating in order to find 'the one' and get married. My friend just became engaged last week and she met her guy online. So I went to Amazon.com, read several ratings/comments from people and waiting for the following books to arrive in a couple of days to start reading:

Why Men Love *****es: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Marry *****es: A Woman's Guide to Winning Her Man's Heart

The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace

All the Rules: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right

I keep on attracting jerks (even online!), so I know I'm doing something "wrong". I hope I find 'the one' this year. I went to a friend's party for NYE and I was the only person attending that was not part of a couple. I hope to change that by the next NYE.
freebird,
relax & enjoy the "good" things that come from being single and remember that it is much better to be single than to be with a jerk. you will meet "mr right" when you least expect to.

I am reading the Janet Evonovich series I am on #8, what a hoot. Hubby got me a Nook tablet for Christmas. Must be he is sick of all the piles of books I have all over. lol. Happy 2012!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

All done with my holiday reading *sigh*. Last night started Murder She Wrote: Skating on Thin Ice
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #15  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I read Every Last One by Anna Quindlen last night (the whole thing; I couldn't put it down!) and it was excellent. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for a while and I hadn't pick it up, mostly because it was hard cover and I really prefer reading paperbacks (not sure why!). It was so good though - I should have read it long ago. Now I need to check out my bookshelf and see what other hard cover books I've neglected, lol.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote