Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default What's your gym routine?

Yesterday at work I got my membership all set up (I just started work at the local Y) and I can't wait to start...but then I realized: I have no idea *where* to start, since I haven't been to a gym in about seven years. Of course, I've been exercising since last January, but I've been walking, not using any kind of exercise equipment.

So I'm looking to all of the "gym rats" here for some advice! For those of you who use a gym regularly: what is your routine? (Keeping in mind that I don't swim, and spinning has been listed as a no-no for me by my doctor because it could potentially be hard on my lower back.) All along I've been doing 90 minutes of brisk walking a day, and I don't have any trouble with that.

Treadmill? Stepper? Elliptical? Weight training? Do you go every single day, or do you take rest days? I can't wait to see what you all have to say.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi. I recently quit my gym as I went to college and can no longer afford it. Now, I use Jillian Michaels DVDs, but that said, I really liked using the gym.

I did strength training using dumbbells. But I really liked using exercise balls during the exercises because they helped stabilize my core. As for cardio, I loved using the stairmaster. I don't know if that would be good for your back, though. I also like to run.

I do about 4 times a week with strength, 5 times a week with cardio. I mix and match to my heart's desire with how much of each depending on my schedule. For example, an hour of strength one day, an hour of cardio the next. The next day, I have only a half hour, so I mix it up with supersets and sprints.

I hope this helps. Have fun working out! I now consider myself a gym rat and enjoy it and I used to hate it before. If I can like it, anyone can!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #3  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

The elliptical is a must for me! I do intervals on it so 1 minutes hard, 1 minutes slow etc...I only do about 10 repeats of that with a warm up and cool down and it is really effective for me and a real calorie burner! Maybe give that a go as it doesn't get boring because your constantly changing your effort!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I am not a "newbie" - I have been maintaining for 8 years and going to gym during that time (with 2 pregnancy/baby breaks)

But basically I do a program called WS4SB which is 4 days of heavy weightlifting (focusing on heavy barbell bench presses/squats etc). Sometimes cardio if I feel like it but usually not.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I go between 3-4 days on a normal week with maybe one day of some random activity (hiking, running, yoga... I just like to mix it up).

Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders.
Bench Press
Dumbbell Flys
Shoulder Press
and if I have time Tricep Pulldowns or Incline Bench

This has made my titties look amazing.

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Deadlifts
Lat Pull Down
Pull Ups (sometimes I do this instead of lat pull down)
Roman Chair
Curls (but it's rare)

Day -3
Legs and abs
Lunges
Planks
Side Planks
Squats

I do about 20 minutes of cardio after lifting but it's my LEAST favorite exercise. I do want a healthy heart though!

I throw in one day of just cardio with all that. The entire routine takes about 45 minutes to an hour but if I'm in a rush or I've had a long day I'll just cut it down to 30 minutes. Sometimes I'll just try to get on the elliptical for 20 minutes and that's it.

You can go everyday but you have to rest your muscle groups between days which is why people split up their routines. Remember too, after about 8-12 weeks you should stop lifting for at least a week to let your body have a break to repair.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #6  

I tend to do weight training before aerobic exercise. It helps build the metabolism and burns calories faster when on a machine.

I weight train on all around my body (lower, middle, upper). Overall I want to get a good feel before heading onto aerobic.

For the machines, I use the treadmill and elliptical. These two machines are literally my best friends. I like to increase the incline of both machines so I get my heart rate up faster and tone muscles at the same time.
jttw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #7  

cardio-treadmill, elliptical, or swimming
then trade off with legs and arms every other day.
flexibility-doing yoga!
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Varies throughout the year.

Most recently:
2x week: row, shoulder press, lat pull down, pushup, squats, deadlifts, lunges, swiss ball core work
1x week: intensive power yoga (one-on-one with instructor, dead afterwards haha)
1x week: restorative yoga
1x week: 6 mile run

Now:
3x a week NROLW
1x restorative yoga
walking

I am by no means an expert, but I do know the basics:
a) you are NOT supposed to strength train on consecutive days. 2-4x/week is enough
b) 90% of machines (leg extension, ab curl.. basically most of the things you find at the Curves "circuit") in the gym are worthless compared to dumbbells and barbells
c) strength training that targets isolated muscles (tricept kickback) is also worthless compared to compound activities
d) hours of cardio is overrated

Last edited by indiblue; 12-22-2011 at 12:12 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote