Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Default Tips Needed...

As an evolution of my weight-loss journey, I'm committed to beginning running in the new year. I've been increasing my cardio at-home exercises to prepare. Hubby...I mean Santa...is buying new running shoes for Christmas. I plan on using the couch25K plan (because it's the only one I know). I know NOTHING about running and have never EVER run...That is except for a few unfortunate gym instances in school. However, due to a leg injury in high school, I almost never had to participate in gym.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Especially for someone who is still in the lower 200s. (Although I am down from 284 earlier this year)
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

I did the C25K program...downloaded it to my Ipod. It was fantastic! At the end I was running 30-40 min without stopping. I started the program at around 230lbs so I know you can do it.

I'm not an expert - I run just for health and fitness - not competitively at this time, so I don't have a lot of advice. For me, I need to set goals in order to stay motivated so the C25K program was perfect for me. It allowed me to see my progress really well.

Good luck with your New Year's resolution...it's a good one!
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/151/145

Height: 5' 6"

Default Running Tips

I'm currently at 184 lbs, down from 255 in January of this year. I started running about 9 weeks ago using the C25K program. Prior to that I never ran and I'm 56 years old! I've taken a little time off since starting the program due to knee pain (gone after 1 week rest) and some minor surgery, but I am on week 7 of the program and it is going great.

My biggest concern when I started running was preventing injury. So my first stop was the running store to be fitted for running shoes. There are so many factors to consider, I would highly recommend that for your first pair of shoes you go to the experts. Next, get a good athletic bra.

I think it is important to run on a soft surface since I am still carrying about 40 extra pounds. Concrete is very hard on your joints. I'm using the treadmill at the gym and it has a more cushioned running surface. There is a difference between running on treadmills and running outdoors, treadmills are easier, but that is what I have chosen to do. Some day, maybe in the spring, I plan to move outdoors. Hopefully by then I will be lighter and not so concerned about injury.

The C25K program is a great way to go from "not a runner" to "running" at a safe and reasonable pace. I have found the program to be challenging enough to keep me interested and easy enough that I can experience success. Good Luck to you. If you really want to do it, I am sure that you will be successful.
deblosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #4  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

^ Great post!

Some great tips on this thread!

First off, congrats on your weight loss thus far! I started the C25K program earlier this year, and was around 230 when I started. I couldn't run for five mins when I started.

Follow the program, and don't worry about timeline. If you find that you have a hard time on one of the weeks, don't be afraid to take another week. I tried going too fast in week three and got tired out. I went back and redid that week. Listen to your body signals and slow down if you are tired. Don't worry so much about your speed at first. Just try finish the program and then up your speed when you feel comfortable. It took me forever it seemed to get to running straight for 30 minutes. I still am a slow runner and just do it for fun. I also cross train and I like the idea that I can run 3 miles when I feel like it. You can definitely do this! Good luck! What a great goal to have for the New Year.

A good sports bra is a must. I have big girls and I bought a very form fitting bra to run in which helped the jiggle.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote