Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #1  

Default Dr. Oz

What's with Dr. Oz putting his stamp on the hCG diet?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Was this in his show or on a website or product? Dr. Oz has said he never endorses anything and if you see his face on a website or product that it was put there without his permission.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I believe Dr Oz has gone to the land of the cuckoo. I've heard about the various things he has been talking about on his show lately and it is a lot of crazy nonsense stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he did endorse HCG.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
What's with Dr. Oz putting his stamp on the hCG diet?
I didn't know he did that but I saw an interview he did recently where he was advocating we do 80% more weight loss surgeries in the US. That stunned me.

The hCG diet, according to my own doctor, is not healthy. She said she has seen people's cholesterol skyrocket on the diet, and then not come back down when people go off the diet and they end up having to go on drugs. To me, the hCG diet is like the old Phen-fen. It works, at the cost of your health. It's not for me.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 10-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

But that's an ad.

I can find a few things where he's quoted as saying, "It's worth investigating" but the only things that claim he ENDORSES it are selling the products...and that's not reliable.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I didn't know he did that but I saw an interview he did recently where he was advocating we do 80% more weight loss surgeries in the US. That stunned me.
As in "We should do more WL surgeries?"

From what I've seen on his show, I'm not a fan of his.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #7  

He has a five part program on Youtube and I think the date on it is Aug of this year. He has a woman dr. on who does the hCG diet for her patients.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've stopped watching, because the focus of his show seems to have shifted from "practical, common sense, interesting information" to primarily entertainment (often sensational and misleading).

It's not always clear when he's playing "devil's advocate" in criticizing good advice, or when he's endorsing a bizarre practice, or considering it "interesting, but unproven."

I was also slightly disappointed with his endorsement and affiliation with Weight Watchers. Not because Weight Watchers isn't a good program, but because I would expect him to have been aware of the research finding TOPS and other non-profit weight loss programs to be as effective as Weight Watchers - and rather than remaining neutral or endorsinge an inexpensive, non-profit weight loss program that could benefit a wider audience, he chose a program more lucrative for him (because TOPS as a non-profit organization, would not be able to pay him much if anything for his endorsement).

I don't fault the man for having a profit motive, but it does influence my impression of the show and the information he presents. Because I have a fair understanding of endorsement deals, I know that his partnership with Weight Watchers means that it's extremely unlikely that TOPS will ever even be mentioned on his show (except perhaps to criticise it). Which is unfortunate, because it's an option that is affordable to more of his audience (A year's TOPS membership usually costs less than one month of Weight Watchers, and there are often ways to make it even cheaper because of the rewards for loss).

The WW deal is really the least of my concerns with the show though, because I expect television celebrities to have a profit motive (otherwise, they'd probably remain in the private sector). It takes a certain level of ambition to become a celebrity. The truly "accidental" celebrity is rare.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
As in "We should do more WL surgeries?"

From what I've seen on his show, I'm not a fan of his.
Yes. It was in Prevention Magazine, and he said we only do 20% of the weight loss surgeries in America that we should. Prior to reading that, I was a fan. After that, I have to seriously question him. There are valid reasons for WL surgery and for some people it's the only option, but for the majority of people what is required is a lifestyle change that includes choosing healthy foods, healthy portions and daily exercise. And he didn't mention that at all.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

Seems a bit misplaced in "Prevention" magazine then...

And also, after the WL surgery, you do need to actually a dopt a healthy life style, it's not a quick-fix by any means.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I agree with kaplods. I used to really like the Dr. Oz show. Now it has gone more mainstream and he's always sensationalizing things for ratings. I know that's how he'll stay on TV, but it won't be with me watching anymore.

The thing that really bugs me (other than the WW endorsement, which I also find annoying), is how every single day he is talking about taking an additional supplement. If you took all the supplements he touts on his show, you would never need to eat, you'd be full of vitamins. It's crazy.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #12  
Brighter than the moon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
The thing that really bugs me (other than the WW endorsement, which I also find annoying), is how every single day he is talking about taking an additional supplement. If you took all the supplements he touts on his show, you would never need to eat, you'd be full of vitamins. It's crazy.
Reminds me of a quote from the Big Bang Theory, when Sheldon asks Penny if she really likes "expensive urine" as she goes to the vitamin department
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Yes. It was in Prevention Magazine, and he said we only do 20% of the weight loss surgeries in America that we should. Prior to reading that, I was a fan. After that, I have to seriously question him. There are valid reasons for WL surgery and for some people it's the only option, but for the majority of people what is required is a lifestyle change that includes choosing healthy foods, healthy portions and daily exercise. And he didn't mention that at all.
I have been a fan of Dr. Oz, but haven't had time to watch in a few months. I wonder if he was talking about Weight Loss Surgery for the extreme cases, ie diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. It costs America millions in meds, hospital visits and lost time at work.

I can not even imagine him endorsing hcg.

I don't think he "endorsed" Weight Watchers per say,he just tells patients that it works. That is what my doctor does, same with different programs that work for quiting smoking. I think when you are in the spot light, there are alot of inaccurate reporting and you have to listen to the wording quite carefully.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

If you go to the WW webite, it says "endorsed by Dr. Oz." They couldn't do that unless there was some sort of deal.

Also, you can be thin and have high cholesterol, it's all about your diet. This country is entirely too dependant on quick fixes as it is, and it doesn't help that a medical professional (albeit a celebrity) is endorsing MORE surgeries.

These aren't "easy" procedures, and to say we need to do 80% more is slightly ludicrous, when for many people diet and exercise CAN be effective.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post

I don't think he "endorsed" Weight Watchers per say,he just tells patients that it works. That is what my doctor does, same with different programs that work for quiting smoking. I think when you are in the spot light, there are alot of inaccurate reporting and you have to listen to the wording quite carefully.

Actually, I did listen to the wording quite carefully. But I should have been more careful in MY wording. He did not simply endorse Weight Watchers or tell audiences that "it works." Neither of which would have bothered me. Even a simple endorsement deal, in which he appeared in WW commercial or two to recommend the program wouldn't have bothered me as much as the reality.

Rather, Dr. Oz has "partnered with" Weight Watcher's on a project called the "Million Dollar You" challenge, which will end in a televised "American Idol" style "vote-off" show, and a million dollar cash prize.

This is far more than an endorsement deal, it's a joint project - making WW and Dr Oz, business partners (at least on this project).

I have nothing against the project, itself - it actually sounds like a great idea.

Here's a youtube video of Dr. Oz explaining the project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_TeVExkA4A

In this video, Dr. Oz clarifies that WW membership is not required (this was not made clear in the spot that I'd seen at the end of one of his shows).

I'm glad to hear that WW membership is not a requirement of participation, but the partnership deal still rubs me the wrong way, as well as the nature of the project - it's going to make both Dr. Oz and Weight Watchers a lot of money. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's an amount of money that can cloud impartiality.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-14-2011 at 01:45 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote