Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/239/165

Height: 5'4

Default Office Job

I have an office job and its very hard to get up and move around through the day. Is there anyone out there that has the same problem I do? I have so much work sometimes I usually work through my lunches, I work in Medical Billing so its kinda of stressfull also.
sweetgyrl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #2  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, I sit at a desk for 10 hours a day, four days a week. My sister was just telling me about some exercises you can do at your desk. I need to google it. I've started printing things to the copier down the hall, instead of the one in my office. I figure every little bit helps.
I make sure to take my lunch break though. Maybe you need to look at your lunch hour as your "me" time. Feels selfish when your inbox is overflowing, but YOU are very important too. Take that time for yourself.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

YES. And not only am I sitting all day, we have tons and tons and tons of food and snacks all around the office. It's everything I can do to avoid all the fun size chocolate bars all day long. I fail at this 2-3 times a week. I do get up and walk to the bathroom a lot. I walk to the kitchen a lot to fill up my water glass or get a cold diet drink or coffee. I try to walk to other people's desks to tell them things if I can, rather than email, just to move my body a bit.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I have the same issue. I have no choice to work through my lunch hours to make up for hours I take off on Friday mornings for classes.

I don't have any helpful solutions ad there's no networked printer, only the one on my desk, and I never receive faxes and am a department unto myself so I don't have to interact with others in my area. I guess I could go to the bathroom more?
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/239/165

I know what you mean Christine123, my office has tons of junk food , I try and ignore them but its very difficult. I do bring my own snacks that are healthy like popcorn and granola bars. I do get up and get water a lot, thats my only time really away from my desk excluding bathroom breaks,, xlmuffintop I like your idea more bathroom breaks lol.
sweetgyrl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #6  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm with you! I'm noticing that since I'm drinking much more water now, I'm also going to the bathroom a lot. lol

I'm trying to make the effort to take the stairs more. Maybe park a little further from the front door as well. I need to take the advice to take lunch breaks, but it's so much easier to eat and work.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Height: 5'4"

I sit all day at work too, but I get in some activity by walking to and from work, walking at lunch hours, taking my coffee breaks away from my desk and getting up to talk to a colleague instead of email, picking up my printing down the hall, and taking washroom breaks as necessary.

It's funny how exhausting it is to sit all day!

...and why are offices always home to so many treats and snacks and leftover lunches from corporate meetings? Hard to resist, but I've been avoiding that stuff for a few weeks by choosing a cup of coffee instead and always packing my own lunch and snacks.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I do subtle excercises at my desk. Simple things like tapping my feet while I type. I also try to stand while I talk on the phone. Even standing is better than sitting all day.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #9  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Two office exercises from the livestrong site:

Quote:
Seated Stomach Vacuum
The seated stomach vacuum activates nearly all of your stomach muscles and can be performed while sitting behind your desk. Sit tall in your chair with your back straight, then simply inhale deeply and pull your belly button toward your spine as far as possible. Hold this position for five to 10 seconds then relax.

Seated Side Crunch
This stomach exercise targets your oblique muscles. Sit tall in your chair then squeeze the muscles on your right side as you reach down as far as possible with your right hand. Contract your left obliques to return to the upright position and repeat the exercise with your left side. Continue to alternate back and forth until your have completed several repetitions. Make this exercise more challenging by holding a paper weight or another object in your reaching hand.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

I try to take little walks - I drink a lot of water so I fill up my water bottle, and then walk to the bathroom.

Also, like previous posters have said, I try to go to people's offices instead of emailing them. I'm still new, so it also helps me to get to know people and I'm not sitting on my butt all day.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 244/232/160

Height: 5'6

I just watched something on Tv the other day about standing while working. They had people who worked in offices stand while working on their computers. It was said that they would burn more than 300 more calories than the people who sat. They had special desks for their computers, but if there was anyway you could try it, it might be worth it. Even if it is only an hour or so a day.
miatutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #12  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

I too work in an office and have read that sitting for so long can cause your butt to turn to mush!

Women tend to be quad dependent anyway, so my biggest suggestion is to make sure you fit in some toning. I dont do this AT my desk, but I do focus on early am or after work sessions with my trainer to reactivate the butt muscles (and others).

And re: food. Im not so good with grey areas, so I just do not eat the food at work. I bring my own, because I often cant even leave the blding for 5mins.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #13  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Oh and I also try to hop on 3fc at work for 5mins to reinforce my good behaviors!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

My coworker gets up and walks one lap around the building (inside) every hour on the hour. Each lap is a little more than a quarter mile and includes 2 long flights of stairs (one down and one up)...... We also have a gym in our building which I use to workout during lunch, which is a huge convenience.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #15  

Default Office job

Office worker too...
Not good for anything, whole day chocolate bars...
Have no time for physical activity, gaining weight
I am looking for solution, and what kind of exercises you were telling about?
Jessica21 is offline   Reply With Quote