Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #1  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Default 40-Somethings Week 4 Chat

Wow…. You ladies are always so active over the weekend. Mack and I cleaned the garage and pool area so never made it to the park with the pups.

I’ve got a dentist appointment this morning for my final crowns and the rest of the day I’ll be catching up on calls and getting Mack’s ditty bag and first aid kit packed. He leaves for Mexico on Friday for two weeks (I soooo want to go…. It’s our 2nd home).

I have decided to call my doc today and see if I need a referral for my knee or if I can just go in and get an x-ray. It doesn’t really hurt (execpt when I touch it) but now that the swelling is gone it feels (hard knot) unlike any “soft” tissue injury I have had in the past. I also need to check on my referral to the GYN for an issue she found when I was there for my annual a couple weeks ago. It sucks getting older but it sure beats the alternative.

Heidi – I have a 3 lb. fluctuation when on plan. If I add a couple beers or a day of not so great choices it goes up to 5 lbs. The nice thing about the 5 lbs. is that within two days it’s gone.

Renee – Good to see you here again. The 90 day journaling is a great idea. I have found that just putting my food in FitDay keeps me from slipping into REALLY bad habits. I have logged EVERYTHING since I started on December 15, 2008.

Patch – WTG on starting the treadmill, don’t over do it.

WLW – I think I would have to return that scale.

Pres – I’m not big on meds but is it possible to take the minimum dose without nasty side effects?

GJ – Thank for the link regarding CSA, I’m going to check out what is available in our area.

Marie – Glad the wrist is back to where it was. Sorry, I had to laugh about the scales…. I’ve gone so far as to have Mack hide them but I always go looking and find them within a couple days.

Sorry I was all over the place, I know I missed some of you. I need to run and go take care of my friends dogs before I come back and get ready for my dentist appointment. I’ll be back later today.

Have a GREAT day everyone.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 09-28-2009 at 09:09 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

presmaggie: that sounds like a lovely evening out! Especially walking along the harbour.

Marie: so glad that your wrist is better!

patchworkpenguin: yay for getting DH to get out the treadmill and, especially, for using it!

Velveteen: a 90 day journal challenge sounds like the perfect way to get things moving again!

CruiseCAT: hope the dentist appointment goes well.

I walked with a friend yesterday on the most difficult, hilly walk that I do. I can tell my muscles are stronger going up the hills. Still waiting for an improvement on the breathlessness.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #3  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Penguin, I hear you on the choc triumphs over all. Non-choc desserts just mean that I will find choc regardless. I love dark choc (hate milk choc) and it satisfies quick but it would be nice to have vanilla and be satisfied. And way to go on the walk/jog with the treadmill. That sounds fun! I’ve never heard of CC.

Renee, I like your self-challenge. 90 days of journalling will definitely help you make great choices.

Cruise, I totally sympathize with the health train. It just keeps rolling through. I think in my 20’s I couldn’t have handled all the little bumps in the road. Now (older) it’s just part of life. I hope your knee, crown and GYN conversations all go smoothly.

Joy, the breathing up the hill will improve. If my asthmatic lungs can now climb our little mountains, anybody can get that level. So I KNOW you can because you are doing great.

I had the oddest compliment/non-compliment the other day. A neighbor, about 65 yo, was chatting with me and my friend. He said, “Marie, you’re no skin and bones” after the discussion that I’m always freezing cold. My friend (another Marie) was aghast and I was pleased. I’ve had so many people tell me that I’m getting too thin but I still see I’m still fat. No one has ever uttered anything near to the idea I still need to lose a few more pounds. I took the comment as the truth and I liked it. My friend (who is larger) was not pleased. It was interesting because it reaffirmed what I see in myself is correct. That 149 is not my right weight, that 135 may be more likely. When I get there I’ll re-evaluate but it was interesting. So… would you all have been offended or appreciative about the honesty?
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hubby and I ate at Chili's; this is there annual "all profits go to St Jude Research Hopsital day". This is the third year in a row we have accidentlly participated. We split a chicken sandwich but didn't order the Molten Lava Cake. I gained a lb dispite yesterdays exercise so I'm trying to do this right!

www.championusa.com is having their semi-annual bra sale! I ordered a few things to try. They have a great return policy, so you can try the bras out and if you don't like them still return them. If you've never ordered don't go by their sizing because they ask you to add 5 inches to the band size ??. I just buy the size that I normally wear and that seems to fit. Hubby found a banner at Ford Truck Enthusiasts {no I'm not kidding} that will give you an extra 10%off your final order. I like them because they have larger plus sizes and the bras actually control bounce without smashing you flat.

Since I'm having a little trouble moving my legs I thought I'd try some upper body work today!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #5  

I seem to be losing my mind. I also post daily on an exercise forum. I wrote my post there, reviewed it but didn't hit submit. So I go back to post my workout, and there my post still sits. {Rolls eyes}

So I add my workout, then hit submit.

Then I come here to post my workout and see what everyone is up to and find I did the same thing here. I wrote, reviewed, but never submitted!

So here is my workout. I did 26 upper body exercises {mostly taken from STS, a DVD strength training system I did earlier this year} on my own. Its been a long time since I've tried anything without a DVD instruction, but it was kinda fun. I did 16 counts {except for the two kinds of pushups I only did 10 each} and used 5's and 10's for my weights. My warmup, workout, and stretch took about 30min! I tried to rotate between body parts {such as doing bicep curls then shoulder raises, to give my mucles a rest between exercises} but I was picking exercises randomly from a list, also.

I think I'll refine my list and try this workout again. I made a lower body list while I was at it. I'm thinking of making two workouts which both rotate UB and LB exercises {more muscle resting}, and doing these every other workout with a treadmill workout in between.

{Ah, ha, I went to hit submit and hit preview again instead, maybe that's is my problem??}
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #6  

Marie, http://www.cardiocoach.com/ These are audio only MP3 interval programs. I like 1 and 5 the best. There's also www.iTrain.com but I don't have any of those, I've only heard about them. If you go to iTrain and type in NAT2009 as your coupon code, you can get a free download {not sure how long that lasts}. I tried this once but got a different download than the one I ordered so haven't tried it again. iTrain has many different kinds of workouts, while CC is moslty cardio.

Since its unlikely that anyone would mistake me for being skin and bones, I'm not sure how I would take the comment. Percenption is a funny thing. When I weighed close to 300lbs I thought the people around me were too skinny but when I started to lose weight I thought these same people looked more normal than too skinny.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #7  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

After spending more than three hours at the dentist I didn't get ANY of my calls made yesterday. Worse than spending so long in the chair is the fact that I have to go back. One of my permanent crowns didn't come it. Would have been nice if they had called so I could come in and get another impression and all three could have been done at the same time.

Still need to call my doc back; called while they were out for lunch yesterday and then didn't think about it again until I was going to bed.

Marie - As for the comment I personally feel it was inappropriate. Weight is one of those issues that unless you are VERY close AND asked for an opinion you don't give it.

Patch - Thanks for the CC link. I'll have to check it out. WTG on the upper body workout...... looks good.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, everyone. Busy here.

CruiseCAT how annoying about the dentist... good luck with all your docs!

Marie I probably wouldn't be offended or pleased. I would just let it roll over me. BTW, I think you are looking great!

Penguin thanks for the bra link; I'll have to check it out!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hi Girls, always happy to be back here with you all

Day 2 down of journaling (well, the days not over yet but I already logged everything and I'm a point over so that's the end of that!) - I know it's early days, but that whole sense of control comes back when I journal again and it's so very empowering!! Yesterday I was right on the mark, this morning I went out and did a total of 6 K, 5 of which was jogging (so approx 33 min jogging an 10 min walking), and then pretty much stuck to my plan for today. I'm working from home today (well, just finished), because *I* had to go to the dentist (sorry that got screwed up for you Cat!!!) for my yearly cleaning and check up. Usually when I'm at home I'm a little be more "free" with my choices - not today!

Hope everyone is doing well today and I wish you a great day!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #10  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

huh. Marie - i find it a very strange thing to say. I get comments now and again and being in the Netherlands is a whole different ballgame. I've developed quite a thick skin actually. What is rude or inappropriate to me is just a Dutch person "being honest". What your ultimate goal weight should be is a tough call and SO personal. Can that person see the "fat" that you see? Can anyone? And what's the definition of "skin and bones" (and if she said you were skin and bones would that have upset you because of the "fat" you see on yourself)? You see, it's so personal that it really actually is inappropriate and nobody's business but your own.

I hope that made sense!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Marie: love your story about your neighbor and the way you felt about it. I think, as a culture, we've lost sight of what a healthy weight is. So many of us are overweight that it's starting to seem normal. Unless you spend too much time reading fashion magazines and then "too thin" looks like normal weight. Maybe people over 65 have a better eye than us younger folks do.

patchworkpenguin: your self-designed workouts sound great!

CruiseCAT: bummer about the dentist. Hope that the other doctor stuff goes well.

Velveteen: way to go with your journaling, eating, and exercise!

Busy day. I better get to the grocery store while I still have breakfast in my tummy so that I'm not overly tempted by things.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

thanks Gardener!!

So, I was thinking that I didn't really have any progress pics yet. I thought I would share with you girls - I have kind of shied away from the camera for so long now, but I did take a photo in April 2008, and I was pretty much exactly the same in April 2009 (in fact was wearing the same clothes). Each year I made failed attempts but this time it really *is* different. Hubby took a pic of me today, though not exactly the same pose.

First one is Apr 08 at 96 KG or 212 lbs, second one is 85 KG or 187 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19APR08_96KG.jpg (16.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 29SEP09_85KG.jpg (18.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #13  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Penguin, I love your statement about all things being relative. I probably saw the same thing when I was heavier. Thanks for that perspective. I’ve been struggling since I took the full body pics a couple weeks ago and all I saw was that I was fat. Since then I’ve struggled with the munchies and wanting bigger servings. I've stayed in my cal range but the food choices are not premier. I know it’s all in my head and I’ve fought it. Your perspective I think might help straighten my head out.

Cruise, ok, you really do have reason to hate dentists. Three hours and you’re not done? I guess they get to charge for an extra office visit. I’d distrust them to. I 100% agree comments about one’s weight is inappropriate but I’ve noticed that when you lose a significant chunk, then you’re fair game. To be honest, I don’t tell people how much I’ve lost. I just say “a bit”.

Newleaf, try to take a few minutes to relax in your busy week.

WTG Renee!!! Being at home and not munching is a wonderful victory. And your exercise is great. I envy people who can run. Asthma just won’t let me. I’ve tried to build up and the best I could do is a ½ mile. And then I’d be sucking on my ventolin all day. Not worth it but the envy doesn’t go away. And I love your breakdown of the weight comment. It made a lot of sense and perhaps I might be coming out of my struggle since posting the pics. It’s all relative and I “know” I am healthier (except the temp cold and asthma problems). That was the reason to do this and I think in the last couple months I lost that in the muck about looking good. I need to remember I’m 48, middle age. I love your progress pics. You are doing wonderful. Your face looks so different as well as the rest of you!

Joy, your perspective is awesome as well. I’m really glad I asked. I’ve been confused lately and this has really helped. Healthy, my original reason, needs to be front and center as the reason I lose the 14 remaining pounds.

Our weather has changed and winds have finally blown the nasty smoke away. That’s one plus in my asthma starting to recover, I hope, but the cold has moved to the chest and my bronchial tubes are angered. I started monitoring my peak flows and I’ve lost 20% of my lung capacity. No wonder I feel like crap. I sort of tried not to exercise after work last night and failed. I did do the elliptical. I took 3 minutes longer to go the same distance and I lowered the resistance level to 3 from 6-7 so my lungs woudn’t be too taxed. And the doggies need their daily walk. So I would say I am very addicted to exercise. Perhaps even more so than the cocoa bean.

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 09-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! Drive by again - it's week 2 of 2 of craziness. Just gotta make it to Sunday night ... recovered back down to the ticker weight, and hauling on toward Halloween. Hope everyone is finding success and sticking to plan! Hugs!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #15  

Its so nice outside I have my windows open. There's a female and male cardinal outiside chirping there fool heads off on my patio. April wants to go outside and chase them away. I put a bird feeder outside a few weeks ago but we haven't had much interest, maybe the birds finally found it.

I'm planning a low steady state treadmill walk today. I made a list of my 60 {?!] favorite exercises and arranged them into two workouts with 30 exercises each. Both have more upper body than lower but the upper body has many more muscles so that's to be expected. The average is about 2 UB to every 1 LB but I can live with that, LOL. I have many strength training workouts on DVD but I'm just not interested in doing them right now. They all have something 'wrong' with them. Too hard, too many squats, too many compound moves. I guess everyone needs a change and this is mine. Right now this is what is motivating me, so I'd better go with it.

Velveteen, Great pictures; thanks for posting them.

Marie, I'm glad I was able to help! Perspective is a very funny thing.

Cruise, Eeek on the dentist! One appointment would have been better for you!

LOL, I remembered to hit 'submit' today!

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 09-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.