Old 01-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #1  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Default low carb lasagne- which veggie?

I'm thinking about trying a low carb lasagne and I notice people using many different veggies in place of noodles.
I have seen:
eggplant slices
zucchini
green beans
cabbage
spaghetti squash
etc!!
Has anyone tried different ones and if so, which one do you prefer?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've used cabbage, eggplant, and zucchini (alone and in combination).

I don't like large eggplant, so I only use the long, asian eggplants.

In my opinion, cabbage leaves best duplicates the lasagna texture. Zucchini I found too watery to use as the "noodle" substitute, but cut into matchsticks it makes a nice portion of the filling.

I've also made a lasagna type dish without any noodle substitute. I saute all sorts of yummy veggies (andy or all: onions, bell pepper, celery, carrot, eggplant, zucchini mushroom...) with ground meat or my ground meat/tvp mixture, along with homemade or jarred spaghetti sauce.

While that simmers, I make my egg/cheese mixture.

One egg, a large container of cottage cheese, ricotta (or a small container of each) some shredded asiago, parmesan or romano.

I line the lasagna pan with foil, pur in the cheese mixture. Top with the meat/veg/sauce mixutre and top with a little bit of shredded cheese (usually mozarella and asiago or a packaged italian blend).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I recently had one made with eggplant slices. If zucchini was done the same, might not be so watery. The slices were placed on paper towels and salted, left a while, then turned over and done again. The lasagna was excellent, and the eggplant had a nice texture.
I used spaghetti squash quite a bit when the rest of the family is having spaghetti, they now prefer the squash!.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/178/145

Height: 5ft3in

Default Summer Squash, Hamburger Meat, & Spaghetti Sauce

I just had this last night - I used summer squash that i had left over; i had originally sliced the summer squash and grilled them on the grill. Last night I just chopped them up (using medium size chunks) but I'm sure you can keep them sliced long-ways. I also used a low carb pasta sauce and it was wonderful! I was very pleased...had the left overs again tonight!
wilsonbjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207.4 / 163.2 / 163

Height: 5'9"

Personally, I love lasagna with zucchini strips in place of the noodles. Zucchini has a mild flavor and softens nicely. It is perfect for me!
Enjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #6  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

What if you used the recipe for the cauliflower pizza crust and used that as a sub for your layer of pasta?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207.4 / 163.2 / 163

Height: 5'9"

There is a noodle-free version in George Stella's Living Low Carb cookbook. It is really great, too. I like having the veg "noodles", but the meat cheese and sauce one is wonderfully rich.
Enjah is offline   Reply With Quote