Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Default Paleo Diet anyone?

Hello. I am new to this board, but am not new to the low carb way of eating. I have done Atkins in the past and really liked it, and honestly know that this lifestyle of eating is the best for me. I fell off the wagon though over the winter/spring and gained back about ten pounds. I need to get focused again and my goal is to lose at least another 25 lbs.

I have been reading about the Paleo diet. Can you give me your thoughts and experiences for those that have tried and liked it and even those that have not? Thanks a ton!
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

This is day 2 of my low carb paleo plan. So far so good. I don't know much more about it, except I've read that this way of eating is better for you. I think processed food just makes you crave more processed foods. And since I've been eating protein and a few healthy carbs (like veggies and fruit), I feel back in control of things.

Let me know if you continue this plan. It always helps to have more people doing it together.

Last edited by tyla; 07-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

It is great I highly recommend it. I miss some foods and do allow them on a cheat day.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #4  

Day 3 of low carbing it, and feeling great!

Celrae, love your avatar!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #5  

Well this is day 6 of being OP for Paleo and I am really liking it. Day 3-5 I felt drained, very tired, and have heard that is expected. I have followed a low carb plan before, but never felt that drained. I agree that the processed foods are just no good for you. When I heard about this diet it just made sense to me. I actually have show dogs and have always fed them a "natural" diet of nothing but meat and veggies, etc. So it makes sense for me to eat that way as well!
I definitely want to keep this thread going. Would love to share ideas, experiences, etc on this plan. I have not weighed in yet since my first initial weigh in and first day OP. I will try to just weigh once a week for a while and am sure crossing my fingers that I see some improvement!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #6  

Just to let you know, I have energy, Thank God. I'm not sure if it's the Vitamin B pill I take every morning or a small cup of coffee that I've had. But I do feel great. I'm a little nervous about my birthday next Wed. We're spending the night in a hotel (combining my birthday with our anniversary), and I may have birthday cake. But other than that, I'm going to try my darndest to be good. I really want to get this weight off!

Peaches, tell me more about your show dogs. Are they the ones in your avatar? What exactly is invoved in showing your dogs? I think this is fascinating! I love dogs. All the best to you!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #7  

Well after one week of eating Paleo and adding running/walking to my routine, I have gained a pound. Very frustrated, very depressed. Will keep plugging along and hoping it pays off, but was really, really hoping to see some sort of a drop this week.

Tyla, yes the dogs in my Avatar are my two babies. They are BullMastiffs. Rosie, on the right, is my girl, she is going to be 8 years old. She was an awesome show dog in her prime and has since been retired. Stanley, the one on the left is going to be 4. He was shown quite bit, has his Champion title and even got invited to Westminster and Eukenuba while he was showing. I still hit a show with him every now and then but for the most part they are just my spoiled pets now. Have you ever seen the shows on TV? That is what we do.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #8  

Peaches, keep going! To heck with the scale. If you feel better and you probablly look better, too, then keep going.

Thanks for the info re: your dogs. Congrats to you and them!

I'm a little more flexible about this paleo diet. I'm eating meat, veggies, fruit and Dairy. Have to have my yogurt! So, I'm not expecting a big drop. Just happy if I can eat less processed foods and heavier carbs.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #9  

Tyla, have you been doing Paleo the entire time you have been losing weight? I just noticed your ticker, you are totally my inspiration! You started at what I weigh now and are down where I would give just about anything to be! Please share more with me and tell me what you are doing, etc. And thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I will stick with it, just frustrated at the moment.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #10  

Peaches, I have been counting calories the whole time. I've been eating approximately 1400 cals. I also exercise everyday and drink at least 8 glasses or more of water. I actually reached my goal last year, and then I started to fool around. What a mistake! Now I'm trying to mix things up a bit, so I'll start dropping lbs. again. They want to hang on for some reason. (I guess the reason is that I screw up every-once-in-a-while.)

I thought a lower carb plan might help. It seems to make me feel fuller and in control. I'll keep that up for a while. I did great today!! I'm a very slow loser, so it's all about patience with me. I only try to get on the scale once a week, sometimes less. I, too, get frustrated when I work so hard not to see much of a change on the scale.

I know you will reach your goal. You just have to hang in there and keep at it. I tell you when I reached my goal, there was nothing like it. So, I wish you the best of luck. You will get there!

Tyla

Last edited by tyla; 07-25-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #11  
Oldie but Newbie

I went Primal (Paleo's cousin!) a couple of months ago and have never looked back. I started exercising 11 weeks ago, lost 7 lb in 5 weeks, then went Primal and have lost a further 15 lbs. So, 22lbs in 11 weeks so far. Feeling (and looking) better than ever!

There is plenty of science to back Paleo/Primal up and it's all down to nasty carbohydrates. The body doesn't NEED them in the same way the body needs protein and fat. When we eat carbs they are turned to glucose (sugar) by our body, which then pushes the sugar into the bloodstream for distribution around the body. What can't be stored in muscles and the liver is stored in fat cells. So, quite simply, CARBS = FAT STORAGE.

Keep up the good work with Paleo and maybe take a look at going Primal, which involves a whole lifestyle shift rather than just diet.

Last edited by JonnyPrimal; 07-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.
JonnyPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I am going back to paleo eating starting today. I have always felt my best on this plan and it works with calorie counting which I also love.
Heading to the kitchen now for a big glass of water and I am tossing out whatever grains (and other crap) is in there (the kitchen).
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Peaches,

Welcome and don't give up! If you want to read more, you could check out some of the links in my sig. We used to have a really active primal/paleo thread, but I think many of us migrated over to Mark's Daily Apple forum (at least that's what happened to me).

I feel 100% sure that the way I'm eating is the healthiest way to eat ... I'm about 16 months in now. Like I said, don't give up. Sounds like you have a yucky case of low carb flu going on which many people get.

Would you consider posting a typical day's meal plan so we can see what you are actually eating? That might help as far as giving you suggestions. I haven't been on 3FC at all this summer, but I am planning to check in more frequently.

Good luck!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

I'm working my way up to it, at least for a month. I want to do the Whole30 challenge starting September first so I'm trying to practice and eat two paleo meals a day for now.

I'm finding that I really really need to expand my ideas of what to eat and pan better or I fail miserably.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #15  

I follow the primal blueprint and also frequent the marks daily apple forum. I did a strict 30 days in June, but fell off the wagon in July. I did lose 9 lbs in June and have kept it off. I'm starting back on today. I went to a primal/paleo potluck last night. It was a lot of fun and really good food.

It took me a couple weeks to really get in the habit of what to eat everyday and to start feeling the positive health effects.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote