Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #34

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another hot one here in the Heartland. The talking heads said that we are going to have these types of temps for awhile because of a pressure system that is just hovering over a few states. It will take a storm probably to move that system off of us. Anyway it is supposed to get up to 106 here today. UGH. Will has decided to knuckle down and follow the program and seriously lose weight. He just needs to watch the portion size and only eat a couple of the low point cookies. I need to finish up the project I am working on today and then make an order for some things I need for the next project. My glass supply is getting low and I need some colors to replace the ones I have used up. The company I use is having free shipping untill the end of August and I need to take advantage of that offer for what I order is heavy. I don't have to use my "allowance" to order my glass supplies. There are a lot of really good sounding recipes in my new crock pot cookbook. In this hot spell it is a good chance to try some out nad not heat up the house with the oven on. I'll figure the points on some and decide what to make for dinner this day. It's ll:30 am and I haven't even thought about eating yet this day. I have done my morning chores and here I sit. Will is out running errands and the dogs are snoozing and all is well here in the hot heartland. BTW I did show a pound loss this day at weigh in.

DONNA FAYE Ouch ~ hope your hurts subside. Seems that the day after an accident then come the aches. That poor kid got a wake up call. I remember once when I was in college and pulled out avoiding some kids and scraped the car next to me and went a few spaces down and pulled in and walked back to the car and it was gone. My intentions were to leave a note so I drove to the cop shop and reported it. They were very impressed with the fact that I was so honest and said if it was reported they would contact me. There was no damage to my car. Kids process things differently and if that happened now I would have just stopped right there and held up traffic and got out and left the note. AH, but we live and learn. I don't like rodents eigher ~ nasty little critters. Your sweater is going to be absolutly gorgeous. You will have it done in no time at the rate you are knitting.

JEAN Since a pressure system in hovering over a few mid west states we are going to see high temperatures for days to come. There isn't any storms in the near future to move it out. It is here to stay for awhile. I do hope that Earnie is over his dry nose thingie soon.

GAIL & SUSAN Hope you are having a lovely day.

I need to go get a meal started in the crock pot now. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 07-18-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #2  

Good afternoon, ladies! 86 degrees right now so it'll be in the 90s by the time the temps take a down turn.

Maggie, I got a good chuckle out of you buying the WW crockpot cookbook in 1905...I didn't know you were so old! I love my crockpot, too. I despise recipes that don't have nutritional info.

Jean, what a mess at the lake! I'm glad everything seems to be okay there and Bob got the boat to higher ground.

Faye, I hope those aches and pains go away quickly. I'm glad the young man owned up so you'll be able to get yours fixed. I can believe he was scared when it happened. You'll have that sweater done in no time!

Gail, I hope you got a nice visit with your Dad when you took your FIL home.

Well, I have to go work on the raffle quilt. Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

BACK

SUSAN OH my 1905 would make me an old one. Older one than I really am. Must a been a typo. You are certainly running a lower temperature than we are ~ lucky you. Keep cool ~ I am trying. I don't know why the crock pot recipe folks can't get on the path of putting the nutritional information in with their recipes. Maybe I should write them a letter and ask them that.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-18-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #4  

Maggie -- on losing another pound! You have the scale moving in the right direction. Tonight the weatherman showed the weekend prediction of thunderstorms but still in the 90s.

Susan -- I am definitely ready for a change in the weather! This is too hot for me and unusual for us to have such a long hot, dry spell. You probably said, but when do you have to have your raffle quilt finished?

I am heading off to bed; it's been a long hot day! See you all tomorrow.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #5  

Good Morning. Flowers! It's going to be another hot day in my corner of the world. I'm going to make a grocery list and go as soon as I finish here, donate blood right after lunch, then I am home for the rest of the day I think. I need to get back to my SOS boxes! There are multiple boxes of doll clothes I need to sort through and get rid of.

I need to check a recipe and then head to the store. Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday and stay cool!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! We're heading for the 90s again today and into triple digits by week's end.

I'm still working on the raffle quilt. We want to have the tops finished by Saturday so we can take pictures and start selling tickets. I'll post pictures for you to see. I don't know if we'll meet that deadline, but it will be close!

Jean, it's grocery shopping in my corner of the world, too. Seniors get 5% off and it's the last day for the sales so I need to stock up on berries and milk.

Maggie, I missed seeing you had lost another pound! Congratulations! That scale is going in the right direction.

I post over on the AARP Fat2Fit forum and two weeks ago I was the featured member and won a book the moderator wrote about her journey. She was 59 and decided she wanted to get by 60, wrote to her newspaper offering one article (she is a writer by trade) on seniors getting fit and mentioned her own journey. Instead of one article, they asked her to do a series. It's wonderful, inspiring reading because she tells of her pitfalls as well as her triumphs. They had a 12 week weight loss challenge on AARP and I got an email last week that I am in the finals. I didn't lose much so I can only surmise there weren't many who did the whole thing. (LOL) There are 3 prizes $2,000, $1,000 and $500. They are not only looking at how much was lost those 12 weeks, but our weight loss journey. We had to answer a ton of questions. Its a nice forum for older people trying to lose weight, not very large but encouraging and friendly.

Maggie, you'd think in this day and age every recipe would have nutritionals no matter where it was published. I can pretty well get a ballpark figure from the ingredients, but I get tired of having to run them through the recipe builder to be accurate.

Hey, Faye - where are you today?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #7  

Good morning. I couldn't get in here earlier as I kept getting a data base error message. I am trying to clean house bit by bit, watching the second Harry Potter movie, we watched the first one on the weekend and so I am doing my marathon before going to see the final movie this Friday. I can't wait as it has had nothing but great reviews.

Jean: Get your errands run and then stay in the cool house that's my motto. We finally got the rental car yesterday, took Kelly's back and put it in her garage, had a swim then came home. Jack was able to go back to work today and the place that is fixing our car called Jack yesterday and told him it would be fixed and fixed right. The owner called Jack and told him he has been in the business 40 years and will not give it back to us until it is perfect. Supposedly on Saturday they told us that the claims adjuster wouldn't get over to the tow place until next Monday so we would have to wait a week. She also said they couldn't give us a rental car until they did an investigation, which irked me as how could it not be his fault he rearended us. Anyway, they contacted the owner of the other car and he confirmed it was his fault so she called back and said the rental car was all set up. The guy from the repair place then called on our way home from Kelly's and said he is actually qualified as an insurance adjuster for this company so will do it himself so I imagine the car will be worked on starting today sometime. They were going to go get it as Jack was talking to this guy on the phone and the two places weren't very far apart. Jack called me a bit ago and said he has gotten 3 calls already this morning from ambulance chaser lawyers wanting to take our case. What case? We didn't go to the dr or hospital, but we surmise the police report is done and available and that is where they got our name. Pathetic way of doing business and in this town more people than not would all of a sudden develop an injury when a lawyer called. I can't say I am not sore as I am and it seems like the seatbelt area is more sore than it was, but not much can be done about it until the muscles heal and go back to normal. I am not injured in anyway that anything but rest and whatever. Jack has some Flexeril I can take if the muscle pain is too bad in my abdomen area. It is mostly bending over when it hurts the most.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss. I will be anxious to see where I am at when the new scales get here in the next couple days. Jack is down another 3 lbs so he now has 12 lbs to go to reach his goal. He told me this morning he is never get back up there again ever. He said if he gains weight on vacation he will come home and take it right back off being back to normal at home eating. I told him that he is going to have to buy new undies as he now has droopy drawers! The scales say I am down a huge amount and has to be wrong so we shall see in a couple days.

Susan: Did you and Glory go see the movie? If so, was it good? I too hate not having the nutritional info. It is a pain to have to go and seek everything out one at a time and put it together and hope you are close to what the pts actually are.

Well, I need to go in the kitchen and clean countertops and wipe down cabinets. I keep breaking the jobs up into little parts every half hour or so as my muscles complain too much for anything else. At least I am getting my nasty downstairs cleaned that way. Marty has been a gem though he wasn't eating so I got permission from Kelly to give him a bit of canned dog food mixed with his dry. I gave him two spoonfuls and a serving of dry and he scarfed it right down so that takes a load off. He let me put his eye salve in this am before Jack left easy peasy so all is well with him. They are both snoozing at the moment, but he will probably get up and come in the kitchen when I am in there cleaning. He did get in the trash while we were gone yesterday and strung it out from the laundry room where the trash can is into the dining area. What a mess, but my fault because I forgot he gets into the trash as Fortune never touches it. Kelly and Tom has their trash in one of those cabinet drawer trash cans so he never sees theirs.

Have a good Tuesday. Back to work and chores for me!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to be another day in a long list of triple digets here. Will has to get out real early to do some work on that second cabinet he is building for the museum for it gets too hot for him out there around noon. It is so big that he can't work on it anywhere here but on the patio. The first one turned out real nice and this one will be its sister. I made the best zuchini bread last evening that was only 3 P+ a piece. Wanted to do something with the nice one that Will brought in from the garden. I am going to have to figure out what to do with all the ones that will come off that plant. I have a couple more to deal with today and I am going to make burger boats out of them for dinner. I have a recipe which is good that you split the squash and put a hamburger mix on top and bake it. Wonder if it freezes well after shredding it. I will have to try it I guess. I know you can blanch and freeze other veggies. I'll just have to research that one. I know I have a book which is out with the dehydrator with that information in it. I should refresh my memory soon since the garden is starting to produce. Since Applebees is changing itself all around inside it had an auction to sell off a lot of the pictures it had hanging on the walls. They gave back to the museum the things they had borrowed from them. Will put in a bid and got a painted picture of Sitting Bull that is in a great looking frame from the old west section in the restaurant. Looks good hanging with his western "stuff."

DONNA FAYE Looks like everything is working out for you with your car and that the folks fixing it will do it right. That must rest your mind in that area. What a nice shop to get the work done in. Good thing you found a trick to get little Marty fed. We are going to rent that last movie one day for we don't enjoy going to theaters anymore. I am sure when you park your happy feed on that new scale when it arrives it will give you a great report of lots of pounds lost.

JEAN Time sure flys ~ seems like just yesterday you were donating blood. We are in for a long hot summer it looks like. And now some of the talking heads are saying the winter will be colder. Yikes. How is your cat?

SUSAN I too get tired of looking up the nutritional information for recipes. But I go ahead and do it if I really want to make a recipe for I need to know what it costs. Hope you do get your raffle quilt done in time. How many days are you working at the WW center there?

GAIL Girlfriend where art thou?

All y'all have a wonderful afternoon. Time for me to go see about some lunch.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #9  

When I got home from giving blood there was this BIG honkin' box by my front door, delivered by Fed Ex. I met Bob coming home and he couldn't have been gone from the house more than a couple minutes. Upon inspection it is a carseat and should have been delivered a couple of blocks away. I called Fed Ex and she had me look for a # beginning with TR -- no such #. I gave her every # I could find on the labels and she says they will pick it up in the next couple of days; I reminded her the delivery guy couldn't be more than a couple miles away and could come back and get it today! I felt like an idiot out in this miserable heat turning the box every which way! I looked up the customer's name in the phone book -- name and address are there but no phone #. Bob said he would deliver it when he got home from a meeting at church, but the gal who ordered came and got it. She had called Fed Ex twice today, and they finally told her it was delivered here. Come to find out her husband is a police officer and that's why there is no phone # in the book.

Susan -- I am anxious to see the raffle quilt. Our 5% senior discount is on Mondays, but this is Ridiculous Days weekend, and that store has double off coupons up to 5 coupons. We haven't had double coupons in years. on winning the book from the AARP site! I hope you win the weight loss challenge!

"Gma" -- Hopefully it won't take too long to get your car back and looking good as new again. Perhaps Marty would enjoy Fortune's food for a change of pace. I hope your soreness is lots better by the time you read this.

Maggie -- Ernie is feeling much better today. Maybe he heard me tell Bob we should take him into the vet today if he wasn't better. His nose is wet, he's eating, drinking from the faucet, and did happy paws on my lap. I would love to know what his problem was. Zucchini bread sounds delicious! I had a friend, much older than I, who used to grow it in her garden and then make bread to give away. I've never made it but I remember it well.

I'm going to head off to bed. See you all tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

BACK TO YACK

I am going to make Will those chocolate chip cookies tomorrow ~ lightened version ~ for I know they freeze well since the recipe makes 4 dozen and are 2 P+ each. It will keep him from buying cookies that are loaded and help him with his program. I cut up strawberries, a peach, a orange, a banana and part of a pineapple today and made a yummy fruit salad with lemon juice on it to keep it from turning brown and give it a zip. We had some for dinner and will have enough for tomorrow.

JEAN I am so glad that whatever was bothering your cats system has passed and he is back to exact. Give him a scratch between his ears from me. It is a good thing that the person to which that package was supposed to go to did come and fetch it. Bet they didn't want it to go back to UPS and have to be re-delivered and would have to wait a couple more days for it. I am planning on cutting some of the zucchini real thin and sprinkling it with spices and some herbs and drying it. Makes a good snack of chips.

Sleep well my cyber friends. Type at y'all tomorrow for I am going now to cut some zzzzzzz's.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #11  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning Magnolias! Do you hear it?! .....its quiet in Chez Gail.

We came back on Sunday; however, I came back with a stomach virus of some kind. I feel better now thankfully. My FIL is back home and as of last night he's doing okay. I visited with my Dad, spending the night with him, and I know I talked his ear off! I'm back on program and its been relatively easy staying on program because of the stomach virus. My Saturday Leader moved to Arizona so I'm not sure if I'm going tomorrow or chancing to see who she was replaced with on Saturday.

I spent the afternoon with my DD#1 and my grandson yesterday. She had the day off from her job so she came to spend time with me. My grandson who is 4 years old, looked all over the house looking for his grandpa. When I told him that he was working he just sighed.

Donna, I gather Jack and you were in an auto accident and you're now hurting from that? I'm hoping you're feeling better now. Besides getting hurt, auto accidents are just a horrible mess trying to get the vehicle fixed and what not. I hear the Harry Potter is great--my granddaughters #1 and #2 went to see it. Granted the youngest one who is 7 really didn't get into it much as she kept getting into trouble but the oldest loved it. Their dad took them. Congrats to Jack on his weight loss.

Maggie, congrats to you for another pound gone. Gosh, it is hot where you live! It's supposed to get up to 100 on Friday here in the Delaware area. The air is so thick it's difficult for me to breathe. Tell Will to be careful working outside on that cabinet. I think all the Applebee's restaurants are in the process of being renovated. Ruby Tuesday restaurants went through that a few years back. I love cookies but I can't have them in the house. I've kept my redlight foods in the house only during holidays. If my daughters won't take them home I'll throw things in the garbage. I am child-like when it comes to food!

Jean, what a pain in the neck with Fed Ex! I can't stand dealing with UPS. Glad to hear Ernie is feeling better!

Susan, I have to agree with you--I do not like recipes that do not list the nutritional information. That's great you won that book! I love inspirational weight loss stories. Always gives me hope that I'll eventually make it to goal.

I know y'all have to be up to other things but as usual I'm behind in reading posts.

Everyone, stay cool, drink plenty of water....

Last edited by GailR; 07-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #12  

Good morning everybody! It is gonna be a hot one here in the south today so we are going over swimming after Jack gets off of work. I am going to fix a roast in the oven then we will warm everything up when we get back home. Everything is quiet at the moment, but Fortune has been a pistol lately and I don't think it is because of Marty, though it may be. I just roll with the punches. At least they are both healthy, eating and sleeping, though Fortune has been waking me up several times at night barking wanting some kind of attention.

I am hoping my scales comes today so I can weigh. My weigh day is Monday's and I missed it so want to see where I am at. I am ordering a few things on Friday for our Branson trip so I can wear all capris and not have to wear long pants. I am a couple pairs short and Walmart doesn't have anymore of the kind I like in my size and they don't have them online in my size. I am a cheapskate and don't want to buy the expensive ones at the online shops just to lose weight and it become a waste of money. I am going to get a couple cute shirts to go with the capris then check out all my sandals to see which ones I can get into now that my feet are down quite a bit. My main problem is they are still puffy a bit around my instep which is where most of my thong type sandals hit so they are too tight. I am just thrilled I can actually wear something besides my clunky crocs.

I am a bit better today with soreness, not so much in the abdomen area as it was yesterday, which is great. I have the floors to mop downstairs today then that is all done and I can start the upstairs tomorrow again.

This is commissary weekend and the weekend we are supposed to take care of Kelly's pool, do her flowers and check her mail and cat too so we will be busy. We will have to get a temporary pass from the pass office to get on base with the rental car. They no longer allow you on with your rental agreement and ID card, you have to get a pass. I think it is funny because the only thing this base does is handle Navy records anymore. They have no schools here anymore and there aren't a lot of active duty on this base anymore except those who handle the records, do the Navy newspaper, and then active duty to take care of the active duty, ie, ID cards and car stuff, the dental clinic, stuff like that, but they have tight security, which I have no problem with but just think is funny.

Gals, I promise to get envelopes and get your slippers mailed by the weekend. This car stuff has just thrown everything into a mess.

Gail: Glad you got back safe and sound and had a nice visit with your own dad. I know it had to help and now you are back home and back to business with WW and your own things. Sounds like you had a good visit with dd and grandson. Looks Jackson will come to visit over Labor Day weekend or that is what they are talking about. I haven't seen him since last Christmas so I am sure has has grown by leaps and bounds. Thomas is somewhere out to sea sailing for Alaska. I am sure he will enjoy it, but he won't get much swimming in as their temps are pretty darn cool in the 60's from what Kelly says. He comes home, is home a week and starts school again in big middle school this year.

Jean: I am irked at Target right now because I can't get correct info on my scales being shipped. They show a tracking number but according to UPS it isn't correct. They did that a few weeks ago when I ordered a new cord for my Iphone. It came before I even got shipping info on it. I would bet the thing shows up here today. How the heck did the guy get the wrong address as the correct address had to be on the box for you to get their address. Glad Ernie is back to feeling good.

Maggie: Hope Will enjoys his cookies. Jack's downfall are Oreos, but he does buy a box of those little individual packages which are 5+ a pack. He always has pts left after dinner so will have either one of those or an ice cream.

Susan: Hope the leg is coming along and you will be out of the brace soon! Have a good day today

You all keep cool today. They say there is a big section of heat that has planted itself over the middle of the country and is not moving. I know our temps are heat indexing into triple digit teens. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #13  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hey Donna! I bet you're going to get a wonderful surprise when you step onto your new scale when it finally arrives! I think you're smart in not investing in more pricier clothes right now because you will not be wearing them long! Do you have a KMart near you? I'm not a big fan of KMart although I have bought capris and long pants there. The great thing is a lot of the summer things are now on sale and you might be able to fine something there you like...if you have a store near you. Anyway, its a thought! I'm so glad to hear that your soreness is going away! Take your time about getting the slippers into the mail; I understand. Don't let that stress you out! I vote for Double Stuff Oreos!! In fact, Saturday before last, my granddaughter #1 wondered why there isn't Triple Stuff Oreos. I know you can't wait to see Jackson! That's been a long time you haven't seen him.

I'm going to run some errands....stay cool everyone!

Last edited by GailR; 07-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! Just a quick post for right now! I'm waiting for my hair to dry so I can make another WM run. Bob wanted some smaller size water bottles to take to Canada. It's going to be another hot one today although we didn't make it to 100 yesterday -- close at 98. The next few days are to be "cooler" -- high 80s tomorrow, and low 90s over the weekend. That doesn't sound cooler to me!

I'm dry so I'm heading out, and I will be back later. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #15  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon, Jean! I just returned from Walmart and Kohl's....and Target....and Barnes & Noble. I don't know if you like Crystal Lite but I've discovered a new flavor: Lime Margarita. DD#1 got me hooked on this. Good! Yum! Canada sounds like a much cooler place to be! When I was standing in line at Kohl's the shopper ahead of me was talking about how difficult the farmers are going to have it if we don't get any rain. That's true. But its not just the farmers because consumers are going to have to pay a higher price for food.