Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Let's talk about CROSSFIT

I did a search and I've seen a few people mention Crossfit in the monthly threads but didn't see a thread devoted to it. There is a new affiliate in my town and I'm thinking very seriously about trying it out. I'm a little intimidated, because I've never done anything like this and everyone looks very fit and I of course am not fit and am actually still in the obese category.
What has your experience been with Crossfit? I'm willing to cancel my current membership (I belong to a World here but my yearly membership has expired and I can cancel anytime) in favor of this because I would really like to see some fat loss and some changes in my physique.
Do you follow their nutritional prescription?
Do you feel like you belong to the group? I guess my biggest fear is feeling like I don't belong in a gym full of healthy, fit people who can do pull ups and push ups and run miles after squatting hundreds of pounds.
Please share!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/157/145

Height: 5'8

Thanks for posting this! I too have been thinking about joining a local crossfit group but have felt a little intimidated.

I would love to hear from some others who have tried it.
TXFrogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I've never tried it but I *love* watching their videos online. So inspiring!

You know, you might feel a little awkward being a fat person in a fit person's gym, but I'd bet all the fit people would really respect any out of shape person who came to join them to be intense about fitness. (I know that when I was all lean and fit, I totally respected the hardworking out of shape people who were doing their best.)

Now that I'm a fat person in the gym lifting weights alongside all the fit slim people, I'm feeling that self-consciousness but I'm fighting it. I think "f#ck it--I'm here, working as hard as I can and I'm proud of myself. Whatever they might be thinking has no effect on me whatsoever!"

In short, GO FOR IT!!!!! It could be an incredibly awesome transformative experience! Don't deny yourself that because you are afraid of what some random people might be thinking about you!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't had time to respond but I'll give it my best
What has your experience been with Crossfit?
I joined a Crossfit gym last year and I was totally in love with it. It was such fun and lots of good workouts. I became much stronger and had a higher level of fitness. I actually never lost weight though but that was basically because I've been in maintenance mode for a while and I have my own food struggles. I sadly had to quit due to change of life plans and needing to save money. I also got busy with school and I let it interrupt my workouts. I really miss the workouts though and miss the consistency. I do highly recommend it.

Do you follow their nutritional prescription?
No. I personally not an overall fan of the nutrition plan. I've known some people who have done it but they have a hard time sticking to it for more than a few weeks. I don't know anyone at my gym that could do it longer than a couple months and most of them fudged it a bit when going out to eat.

Do you feel like you belong to the group?
Yes! The gym I was in was very welcoming and I actually miss it a lot. You get a variety of mixed abilities. Plus, you will be doing pullups, pushups, etc - Just modified, at least at first.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Spooky: I began Crossfit earlier this month and my experience has been great. I joined mostly to learn. I had been lifting for several years but I haven't had guidance in Olympic lifting. I've researched it, watched vids but I needed another set of eyes and proper cueing. I'm getting all of that at my box now.

Honestly, I was really nervous about joining too. On my first visit to the box the coaches immediately got me set up, I filled out a waiver and they helped me through my first workout. Their level of professionalism as well as their ability to spot and correct movement immediately were impressive.

My box does offer nutritional support but I have decided to keep my focus on learning the movements and just acclimating to the workouts before I begin to mess with dietary changes. While I could lean out a little it's not a priority for me just yet. I'd rather be able to clean weight off the floor for my front squats than to sacrifice that for lack of energy from dietary changes. I'm probably dead wrong about my reasoning since I've read how Paleo diet seems to help people become more efficient during their workouts but for me, it's just all too much to take on at once.

I do feel like I belong at this gym. I'm also a member of Golds Gym for the past year and just never really felt comfortable there. I had to trip around trainers and their clients to get my own workouts in.

The environment at the Crossfit box is very different in comparison. I warm up, go through a skill development for the WOD and then get ready to play. I think I've spoken to more members in the Crossfit box in the past month than I have at the previous gym in an entire year. It's just a much better environment for learning how to correctly move the body as well as excellent support from the other members going through the process.

My advice would be to see if they have a free trial workout. See if you like the place and take note of the people who are there. It may surprise you also to know that Crossfitters come in all shapes and sizes. We are all there to get a good workout in, learn something new, support one another through our workout challenges and accomplishments and to just have fun.

Let me know if you decide to go for the workout and if you eventually join. Loved to hear about your experiences in your affiliate. :
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

I love it! It will be very challenging. I will post more later.
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Been a member for two years. Love it. Size, ability, age, skill level, it doesn't matter, anybody can do it if they want to.
Go to the Journal and look up "Mary's Story" (mary hieb is her name) she goes to our gym, and talks about that, feeling intimidated. I think/hope they made it a free video. Watch it if you can, it's in two parts.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I do a lot of the crossfit workouts, but haven't joined a facility. I don't know if I like the one near me, and don't have time to explore one further out.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I watched both parts of "Mary's Story" last night. Inspiring, hopeful, funny, warm and impressive both about her and the Crossfit facility.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

A little follow-up on Mary, Rhonda. She and her dh took an RV trip for 3 months this winter. At first, she was keeping up her CF eating and workouts,but after a month, it was vacation food and no workouts. She ended up having to go back on a heavy dose of prednisone, and her lungs got bad again. She's been home a few months now, back to Paleo eating and regular workouts. She's down to 1/2 prednisone per day, her lungs are much better, she is running again, and PR'd her deadlift a few weeks ago. (She's so funny, cuz she doesn't look it, but she's a beast on max lifting days!) Anyway, in her opinion and mine, it's paleo and crossfit that keeps her alive, and getting healthier every day. Not sure exactly why, but I think she's the walking, talking (and running) proof of that!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

That's just so amazing Cheryl and thanks for sharing what you know about her. Especially the follow up. It really is some validation of what other people have said about this style of eating/exercise.

Perhaps I'll dig a little deeper and try a little harder with adopting a paleo diet. I struggle with not having the skyrs yogurt (dairy). Seriously, that and cottage cheese really are the two hurdles. I'm over the grains/bread part of it. (well, except the 1/4cup of dry oats in the morning)
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, unless you have chronic pain or illness, that's fine. I still take milk in my tea. "Paleo with dairy" (in moderate amounts) is a pretty common compromise here.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

Hmm. Seriously thanks for that bit of info. Almost everything I've read online...and yep should be taken into consideration of where it's coming from is so die hard about not taking dairy. Honestly, I do fine with it and I'm getting like 22g of protein with only 6 carbs from the Skyr.s or something ridiculous like that.

I also kind of look at the fact that up to now, I've leaned myself out on my own pretty successfully and I'm not sure a complete Paleo approach is necessary. I think it might mess with my head more than it would help. So...moving forward. I'm looking more into the zone-paleo approach and keeping the kids goldfish crackers out of the pantry.