Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Weight gain after surgery?

Please note - I'm NOT freaking out, just curious!

I've been maintaining my weight around 119 for the past few weeks. Last Friday I had a non-invasive procedure to break up a large kidney stone (lithotripsy) and have been recovering since then. My calorie intake this weekend was pretty low, and Friday evening there was also quite a bit of vomiting due to the pain of passing the stone fragments.

I'm still sore but mostly feeling better now. Monday mornings are my weigh-in days, and this morning I was 127. Again, I'm NOT in a panic! I know fluctuations happen and I absolutely know that I I did not eat enough calories in the past week to gain 8 pounds of "real" weight.

But that makes me curious - where did the 8 pounds come from? Has the surgery caused me to retain that much water? I do feel a little bloated, but this seems extreme. I've been living in pajamas over the weekend (going back to work tomorrow) so I can't judge by my more fitted clothes.

Ideas?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #2  

Were you given IV fluids? If so, that is your cause for weight gain. Usually they give normal saline which is salt water. Sometimes they will give you steroids too which can cause retention. Besides the weight gain, I hope you are feeling better
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think that anything that mess with you can mess with your weight, ya know? You probably have some swelling from the incision, they probably gave you an IV, probably gave you medication. You've had a lot going on.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #4  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post

But that makes me curious - where did the 8 pounds come from? Has the surgery caused me to retain that much water? I do feel a little bloated, but this seems extreme.

YES hope you are feeling better!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

What sort of pain medication did you get?

IVs and epidurals are a killer with water retention. When I gave birth to my son, I was 163lbs walking into the hospital at 41 weeks pregnant. I left the hospital, after a 10lb baby, at 165lbs!!!! It was nuts!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I got at least two bags (no idea how much that is!) of IV fluids and was under general anesthesia. The procedure itself was only around 40 minutes and was completely non-invasive, so no cutting/sutures. (Side note: Modern medicine really IS a miracle.)

Thanks for all the thoughts. Sacha, I can't believe you gained weight after having a kid! I never thought about that!

My other issue, I've realized, is that I haven't had a bowel movement since the procedure. That's probably partly because of the pain medicine (Vicodin) which I've used before and causes constipation. Combine that with a departure from my regular food/activity, and no wonder I'm all kerfluffled.

Our bodies are wonderful, amazing machines, but so finicky! I'm really looking forward to feeling "normal" again, that's for sure!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #7  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Yes, it's absolutely from the procedure. Not only is some of it due to the IV fluids, but your body is in self-defense mode. It's healing itself. Once your system knows it has recovered from this "trauma" - because any surgery or procedure can induce trauma on a cellular level - it will release the fluids its holding on to.

Keep up that positive attitude. It will help you heal faster and thus get back to your pre-surgery weight faster. :-)
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Water, water everywhere! And a kidney that has been through a lot. Take it easy! Don't panic! Take your meds and rest. (I have had a lithotripsy myself so I know whereof you speak.)

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Everyone already gave great answers. I just wanted to send a and support. I'm glad the procedure went well and I wish you a healthy recovery!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/159/140

Height: 5'7"

I would say it is definitely a combination of the IV fluids and the constipation from your pain medicine. I had surgery last summer and was in the hospital for 5 days and when I came home I had gained 13 pounds...and this was after eating absolutely nothing for 3 days due to being heavily sedated in the ICU and then only eating around 200 calories per day after that because of nausea. It will come off very soon I'm sure once your body is able to deal with the water retention from the IV fluids and once you are having more regular bowel movements. I hope you are feeling well! Get some rest
smurfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Oh yes it's possible! With multiple bags of fluids, pain meds, and residual soreness? 15-25 pounds of water retention wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, immediately after the fact. It's amazing how much we can bloat up with surgery and subsequent care.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8

I hope it goes away soon!! I am scheduled for foot surgery next Tuesday, and was already thinking I wouldn't weigh myself after (weight of the bandages etc) but now I am defo not going to for at least two weeks I'd ignore the scales until you have been to the toilet etc normally for a few days.
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #13  
is chubby

The body is very smart. When it feels that something causes you distress it does it less.
Same goes with urinating after breaking down stones. The pain you had while excreting them caused you to produce the least urin possible.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote