South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Height: 5'6"

Default Having a hard time...a long post

So I've been on SB for over 2 months and have felt in control the whole time. I've had no problem staying on plan. If I went off plan, 99% of the time I planned it. For example, I told myself in advance that I could have one piece of cake at my son's bday party. And then I had the one piece and that was that. Or, I would tell myself I could have a meal off plan when we went out to dinner with friends one week, and then I would just have the one meal and be right back on plan the next day; I'd even be excited to get back on plan! Things were going well; I felt good, I was in control, and I was satisfied.

Then this week, I don't know what happened. Well, I kind of do. I had a really low calorie (500 cals) day on Tuesday because I have been calorie cycling, and then I did not plan well on Wednesday. I was in a setting where I did not have access to my normal foods. By the time I went to pick up my kids at my in-law's at 3 o'clock, I hadn't eaten all day. So, basically by Wednesday afternoon, I hadn't really eaten in 2 days, which was NOT my plan. I felt light headed and dizzy and still had to drive my kids home--safely. By that point, I knew I just needed to eat regardless of whether or not the food was SB approved. I grabbed a couple of non-SB snacks and ate, not out of hunger so much but because I felt completely off.

The rest of the day just got worse. I think my blood sugar was completely messed up by that point. I felt sick, nauseous, head-ache, irritable etc...

Thursday I had a normal phase 1 SB day, but I was NOT content; again, I was irritable, nauseous, and basically didn't feel motivated to stay on plan (although I did stay on).

Friday was my Easter baking day and I had already told myself I wasn't going to stress the food since I experiment with new additions and stuff while baking and part of the fun is in tasting new concoctions. Anyway, I felt like crap by the end of my baking marathon. I was probably in sugar shock or something. I had a headache, stomachache, and just felt abnormal...again.

So, today: I have eaten phase 1 SB all day and will NOT be going off at all tomorrow either. But I HATE how I feel. I'm irritable--again, with that same headache and stomachache. I know by this point my body is probably all confused and whatnot. And for the first time since beginning SB, I'm not excited about being on plan. I hate that this thought is even in my mind. I have been dedicated and motivated for over 2 months. I have been enjoying being in control and making healthful choices. I have been losing weight steadily and healthfully. I've realized the whole extreme calorie staggering probably wasn't such a hot idea. If I hadn't eaten so little on Tuesday, I wouldn't have felt so horrible by Wednesday afternoon.

So, basically I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a semi-similar situation. Have you lost motivation or felt side-tracked at all along the way, and how did you rededicate yourself? Thanks, and I apologize for the length of this rant.
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry It sounds like you're not feeling well at all. Is there any possibility that you've got a bit of a bug in addition to all that happened with your plan since Tuesday? Apart from that, I think we've all had moments and days where things just aren't right. I've had them, too.

I always say; well if it were me so:

I'd plan out today and tomorrow very carefully. I'd decide for me if I'd already had to much tasting going on and would especially take a serious look at any off plan foods I was thinking about eating before all of this. I would also consider NOT calorie cycling until I felt more stable again. I would remind myself that going off plan further would probably make me feel worse and try to stay focused. I'd also make myself a note for the future that IF I was going to calorie cycle that I would need to make it a priority to have my food planned/purchased and packed for the day after.

Just curious? Have you been CC'ing for awhile or have you just started? I think it took months after starting SBD for my bsugar to really stabilize-enough to even think of taking my calories so low for a day. Just a thought...I can do it now if something comes up and I miss a meal...

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #3  

Thanks, Debbie. Unfortunately, I am sure I do not have a bug. The jittery nauseated feeling is definitely food related. I've been cc'ing for the past month, just moderately. I've been having one evening when I eat a little more than usual, then one 500 cal day, and usually one 1000 cal day in there somewhere. It was actually going well for a few weeks, but this week it just got away from me and definitely became unhealthy. I am definitely going to stick to P1 guidelines for a week or two while I refocus. I agree that going off any further would just make me feel worse/guilty and lead to negative thoughts.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Since it sounds like you're generally doing OK with CC'ing, it just means you've learned you need to be prepared. If you're not already thinking about it you might consider not having a low day before you're going to be extra busy or extra stressed. How about sticking to 1.5 while you're refocusing??
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/223/130

I have had this problem over and over, but am here and hoping to get over it and stay motivated straight through this time!!!
runnerintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/223/130

Also, I am in Ct too!
runnerintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerintraining View Post
I have had this problem over and over, but am here and hoping to get over it and stay motivated straight through this time!!!
One thing I have found, for sure, is that by making it my habit of coming here every day that the bad days are fewer than the good. I'm doing that for me this time.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

I feel like crap when I teeter on the edge of ketosis as well. There are some days I am very motivated and have it totally together and others where I hate it and want to just give in. You're not alone But...You can do it!! Focus on all the times where you were in full control of food and chose not to eat something. How good did that feel?! You weren't able to lose almost 20 lbs without making good choices!! You are the boss of food and right now, you are taking names! It is only failure if you give up...and you aren't giving up!

Last edited by serendipityberry; 04-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Ah yes!!! After a particularly low calorie food day (whether on purpose or by accident) I have those feelings. The headache, the weird feeling...the loss of joy of eating healthy. So....I know to bump up the next couple of days with good foods and fats....so I do beans (like chunky veggie chili) and Nat peanut butter. Oh and make sure you are taking vitamin B...a natural mood enhancer! Try the beans!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityberry View Post
I feel like crap when I teeter on the edge of ketosis as well. There are some days I am very motivated and have it totally together and others where I hate it and want to just give in. You're not alone But...You can do it!! Focus on all the times where you were in full control of food and chose not to eat something. How good did that feel?! You weren't able to lose almost 20 lbs without making good choices!! You are the boss of food and right now, you are taking names! It is only failure if you give up...and you aren't giving up!
I did Atkins years ago and am familiar with ketosis, but I wasn't aware that SB gets the body into ketosis...does it?

And thanks so much for all of the encouraging points. You are absolutely right, and I just need to remember everything you stated. I think I'm gonna do P1 hardcore again for 2 full weeks to refocus myself. Thank you!

Last edited by NicoleInCt; 04-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1196 View Post
Ah yes!!! After a particularly low calorie food day (whether on purpose or by accident) I have those feelings. The headache, the weird feeling...the loss of joy of eating healthy. So....I know to bump up the next couple of days with good foods and fats....so I do beans (like chunky veggie chili) and Nat peanut butter. Oh and make sure you are taking vitamin B...a natural mood enhancer! Try the beans!!!
Oh, it's good to hear I'm not alone in feeling this way after a low cal day (not that I'm actually happy that anyone ever feels like crap). And I just made some chili today, so that should come in handy.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleInCt View Post
I did Atkins years ago and am familiar with ketosis, but I wasn't aware that SB gets the body into ketosis...does it?
No, it doesn't... even Phase 1 is designed to provide enough carbs though veggies, beans, and dairy that ketosis doesn't happen.

I think the previous poster was referring to what may have happened to you on Wednesday and Thursday when you probably weren't eating all the recommended amounts of those things.

Hang in there Nicole... I'll bet you'll feel much better after 3 or 4 days of a clean Phase 1.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #13  

Ok, good. I hate that whole ketosis battle and really didn't think I was in it with SB, but you bring up a good point that I may have inadvertently been putting myself in it with the super low cals for those two days. And I agree that I will probably feel better in a few days. I just need to keep reminding myself of that. The scale at the end of the 2 weeks will probably help reaffirm that too
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

I'd say you learned a valuable lesson if you want to keep cc'ing. The day after your very low day maybe you should start with some beans for breakfast to really get you going. Also, can you keep some on plan snacks (nuts, etc.) in your car just in case you get stuck again? I worry about you doing another Phase 1 right now. I think you might just need to restabilize yourself without feeling deprived - can you just to a normal week of whatever Phase you were on before this, and start cc'ing again the following week?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I would agree that a "hardcore P1" is probably not the best solution...a firm 1.5 seems much better.