South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Lara Bars?

Does anyone eat these? Are they on plan for Phase II and beyond?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

They've got Dates in them, which is on the "Foods to Avoid or Eat Rarely" list during Phase 2. I have a couple that I picked up to carry with me when I travel because they'd be better in a pinch that some other options, but I haven't resorted to eating one yet. The glycemic load is definitely on the high side.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #3  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

yes to the dates. I use them on long runs or cycles. I love a peanut butter cookie dough that's gotten warmed up in my bike bag all morning. They are good for energy, not so good at keeping my feeling full.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #4  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

That being said, some varieties have sugar, and they're really not worth it in my mind. 190-240 calories, and up to 14g fat per bar. They're tasty but not very healthy in my opinion.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I use the South Beach cereal bars for such meals - I REALLY like them - cranberry almond or cinnamon raisin for breakfast, and the chocolate when I am having one of THOSE days . . .
ultimatebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I've used them occasionally (maybe once a month?) when I'm on the run and don't have time for the usual breakfast. They are filling - but they may be a trigger food for some people because of the dates.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I was okay with them for awhile but they turned into a major trigger. I avoid them now.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

I have one every once in a while, and they haven't been a trigger for me at all. They are pretty satisfying. I would think it varies person to person.
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebea View Post
I use the South Beach cereal bars for such meals - I REALLY like them - cranberry almond or cinnamon raisin for breakfast, and the chocolate when I am having one of THOSE days . . .
Cranberry almond??? We don't have that variety around here. It's a shame b/c I would LOVE that. I use the peanut butter SB bars for a quick on the go snack, especially for when I'm out w/ SWAT. I throw a few in my SWAT go-bag and pray that our callout will end before I run out of SB bars, LOL So far so good.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Cranberry almond are AMAZING - not sweet, which even the cinnamon raison can be. They are excellent for breakfast - GREAT crumbled up in ff greek yogurt, actually - like granola without guilt!!!

I wonder if you could get them on-line . . .
ultimatebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

Okay, now I'm confused. This is the ingredient list for the south beach diet bars I found on Amazon:
Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch), Peanut Butter (Roasted Ground Peanuts), Maltitol Syrup, Sugar, Soy Beans (Roasted), Corn Syrup, Soy Protein Concentrate, Oligofructose (For Fiber), Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice Invert Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Partially Defatted Peanut Flour, Milled, Flaked Corn, Nonfat Milk, Calcium Carbonate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate, Flavor (Natural), Salt, Soy Lecithin, Butter (Cream, Annatto (color), Salt), Peanut Oil,

I'm seeing sugar, corn syrup, evaporated cane juice and brown rice syrup. I don't get how they are okay. Help?
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernametaken View Post
Okay, now I'm confused. This is the ingredient list for the south beach diet bars I found on Amazon:
Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch), Peanut Butter (Roasted Ground Peanuts), Maltitol Syrup, Sugar, Soy Beans (Roasted), Corn Syrup, Soy Protein Concentrate, Oligofructose (For Fiber), Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Evaporated Cane Juice Invert Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Partially Defatted Peanut Flour, Milled, Flaked Corn, Nonfat Milk, Calcium Carbonate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate, Flavor (Natural), Salt, Soy Lecithin, Butter (Cream, Annatto (color), Salt), Peanut Oil,

I'm seeing sugar, corn syrup, evaporated cane juice and brown rice syrup. I don't get how they are okay. Help?

My opinion... they really aren't on plan.... I could go off on a diatribe about how I feel Dr A sold out putting the South Beach name on some of the products that carry it, but I'll spare you all.

All of us makes our individual choices and tweeks the plan so that it works for us though... I did eat them occassionally last time I was on the beach, but for me, I definitely find that the less of this type of stuff I eat, the better I do.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

UNT, I hear you. That is why I thought Larabars might be ok, as they are essentially just fruit and nuts (even considering the dates). However as I was scrolling down to this thread, I saw the recipe for Nessa bars has made it's way up to the top again, so I might just make those.

I actually asked because yesterday I had the most insane craving for something sweet and ended up having a "kind" bar which is modelled after larabars. The "kind" bar was delish and contained coconut, apricots, almonds and a bit of puffed rice which I know is not on plan. But I started thinking about whether they would be good to grab on the run. I'm pretty sure they might trigger me though. Fruit in general aside from berries seems to be a HUGE trigger for me. Interested in what others say about the South Beach bars. They really are no better than an Atkins bar, which the closeout store always has on sale for about .25 each.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I agree, if I have to grab a bar I go for something that's all whole food, preferably Phase II safe. I've never gotten past the label on any SBD labeled food. That's the stuff I've finally learned to avoid, makes no sense to eat it just because Dr. A signed a contract with Kraft
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #15  
Be happy.

Matilda, I eat Lara bars but I don't consider them an on plan food because of the dates.

I like them because they have so few ingredients (dates, almonds, unsweetened cherries are the only ingredients in my favorite flavor - cherry pie).

Fruit has never caused cravings for me, and they're one of the few commercially prepared sweet treats I can pick up at my grocery store that doesn't contain table sugar or artificial sweeteners. At 200 calories each though, I try to save them for treats or desserts.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote