South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

When in doubt...go natural...I'd always chose the least processed foods. Regardless of dates! Don't forget...you have to find your own way in this and if it's a trigger....back away!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #17  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I eat them when I need something fast. They aren't really a trigger for me. They are some of the healthiest whole food bars on the market.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I keep one in my office desk drawer sometimes for an emergency snack. Better alternative than buying a muffin at the food court! I don't eat them on a regular basis though.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #19  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

A word of caution on the nessa bars. I made them and they were a huge trigger food for me (because of the nuts maybe?). I felt like I lost all control with them and kept eating them until they were gone. Larabars don't seem to impact me that way.

Just my $.02...
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

When I need something on the run, I tend to grab my Think Thin bars. They're more processed than Lara bars and some others, but they don't have any sugar, have 20 grams of protein per bar, and haven't been a trigger for me. Admittedly, I'm not 100% certain that these are on plan, but I've posted the ingredients below for you to decide for yourself. There is some rice flour, but it's not a major ingredient. They also have a 100 calorie mini bar type thing that is amazingly delicious. Feels just like a brownie to me. It only has 5 grams of protein, but I always keep on in my purse for emergencies. The ingredients below are for the brownie crunch bar.

INGREDIENTS: PROTEIN BLEND (CALCIUM CASEINATE, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE), GLYCERIN, MALTITOL, COATING (MALTITOL, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SODIUM CASEINATE, MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVORS, SALT), COCOA POWDER, ALMONDS, WATER, SOY CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, RICE FLOUR, SALT), CANOLA OIL, SOY LECITHIN, COCOA POWDER, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SEA SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Oh, these are also gluten free.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have gotten some of the bars, various brands, for emergency on-the-go snacks. I do fine with them that way. But I can't keep them in the house. I crave them and eat them instead of something healthier and they can trigger me on a binge. Yesterday was the first time in weeks that I overate while home and it was with protein bars I had leftover from my weekend trip. I threw the rest in the trash.

P.S. When I do buy them I look for the best combo of low calories, high fiber, high protein and low sugar.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #22  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I agree with the points above. I like Lara Bars, but only eat them rarely as a treat. I love that they are only dates and nuts and other fruit. I have had the SBD bars in the past and find them to be weird Frankenfood. I have also tried the Think Thin bars. They are good in a pinch and I have carried them in my bag for long trips, but I don't eat them, or any commercial bars, regularly. They are like cookies to me.

Anyway, if you fall on the side of liking Lara Bars and wanting to include them occasionally, HERE is how to make them! The first thing I thought of when I tried them (after "yum!") was that I could recreate them. Might be really dangerous to have a large supply of them around, though
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

Has anyone tried making larabars at home, by the way? They are so pricey (although maybe that's a good thing). I used them today as an impromptu label reading lesson with my stepdaughter (comparing the ingredients to those in clif bars). After we got home I caught her reading the ingredients of her gatorade bottle

Anyway, I'm glad to see that other beachers were dismayed by the ingredients in the SBD bars.
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I make an energy bar that is very similar to the Lara Bar recipe. I know that dates aren't really allowed on SBD, but I don't seem to have any cravings or adverse effects from them. Here's the recipe I use, compliments of Family Fun Magazine -

Grind 1/3 cup nuts of your choice in a food processor, transfer to a bowl and set aside. Then process 1/3 cup each pitted dates and dried apples. Add the nuts and a pinch of cinnamon, then process until the mixture holds together when squeezed. Divide it into six portions, mold each into a bar, and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Variations - dates, dried apricots, and almonds
dates, dried cherries, and walnuts
dates, 2/3 cup peanuts, 1/4 tsp vanilla, pinch of sea salt
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #25  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

I can't trust myself with any of the energy bars as they are definite triggers for me and I just can't stop with one...........so they are completely off limits for this beacher.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote