Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #1  

Question Avon cellulite cream

Has anyone tried the new Avon Cellulite and thigh slimming cream? It promises a noticeable change in 4 weeks. There was an article in Self magazine last month where women tried different products to see if they worked and some of the women said they actually lost inches. I was just curious.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

What are the ingredients in it?

Also, just because Self Mag has an article saying that 'some of the women actually lost inches' purportedly because of the cream...well that don't mean diddly. I haven't actually SEEN the article you're referring to, mostly because I tend to stay away from Self Mag. A good many of the articles are written based on press releases, etc. that they receive from the manufacturers of the products being reviewed. I mean, if it was in, say, Consumer Reports, then I'd believe it. But Self Mag? Nahhh...

I'd be willing to bet that this is the same thigh cream that was all the rage back in the early 90's. Expensive as all get out, and didn't work worth a hoot for most women. Of course, everything comes back again...people forget that it didn't work the first time around...just that a lot of folks bought the stuff.

Pardon me for sounding somewhat cynical...
Old 05-07-2003, 03:42 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm joining you in the cynicism, Mrs. Jim. I noticed it in the current campaign catalogue and phoned my Avon rep who was very apologetic and a bit defensive. She said she had no idea if it worked but would be interested to see if there were any comments from here.
(By the way, she claims she has no cellulite which I find hard to believe! She is overweight, has had four kids and is 71 years old! Maybe she just can't see it! )
Old 05-08-2003, 12:28 PM   #4  

Hi, I'm an Avon rep and so I was give a chance to try Cellu-sculpt prior to its general release and my verdict is . . . . mixed. On the places where my cellulite is not very severe like the fronts of my thighs there was a marked improvement (I have been using for 14 days). I've just decided that there is no hope for my butt and the backs of my thighs! It seems to me that the cream tightens the skin and leaves a lovely warm tingling sensation which improves circulation. Now you can improve circulation by excercising but the cream has a nice side effect of making your skin slightly shiny and healthy looking. I think it is worth it just for the glow it adds to my legs! I guess my final verdict is that is helps a little, definitely doesn't hurt and feels absolutely gorgeous and tingly for the first 10 minutes after applying so I'm going to keep using it.

happyness
Old 05-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #5  

According to the ads, you are supposed to lose AN INCH in four weeks! An inch can easily be lost in my case in half the time through good old fashioned exercise.

Bottom line:there is no cure for cellulite. If the appearance of it is lessened, it is usually because of the massaging done (in the direction toward the heart) on a regular basis, not the 'miracle cream' itself.

More or less, I say this stuff is along the same lines as the skin firming lotions...
Old 05-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #6  

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default there *is* hope..it's just not a cream or lotion

Exercise...lifting weights..building muscle, that will usually get rid of those ugly dimples! It just takes time and hard work. (easier said than done..tis why I'm sitting here on my very ample dimpled butt typing out this reply)
Old 05-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well.......

I only wish that were true. Unfortunately I know plenty of women who lift weights and eat correctly that are still cursed with the evil cellulite...

I happen to be one of them
Old 05-16-2003, 08:41 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

$15.00 a tube is just too much money to pay for something that "might" work temporarily. What happens when you stop using it? The tube is only 6.7 oz big and they do not give any scientific proof that it actually works. Avon, is, however, allowing you to try it for 2 weeks and then if not 100% satisfied, give you a full refund if you return what's not been used.

The only real cure for cellulite, I think, is probably liposuction. But then, that is not without it's bad points too. I have seen even thin women with cellulite on their thighs.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually...liposuction is NOT a cure for cellulite. Sometimes it CAN help - but oftimes, lipo can make cellulite look worse. (this is from my plastic surgeon). There are a LOT of 'anti-cellulite' creams/lotions/gels out now - I was at Safeway and saw they had two on the shelf - one by Neutrogena, one by Loreal. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Actually $15 doesn't seem all that expensive to me...it's not like you're going to use it on your entire body...just the areas with cellulite - so it would last awhile. It might be worth a try...but I wouldn't expect miracles. I mean, if it was being sold by, say, Clarins or Estee Lauder, they'd probably charge $50-$60 for the same thing and the same size (but you'd probably get that free goody bag they always have as a special, right? Those sampler lipsticks just NEVER look good on me...)

As far as I know, the only 'proven' way of reducing the appearance of cellulite is Endermologie. It's VERY expensive though...

Here are a couple articles for your review...the first one is from Quackwatch...posted in Oct 2000...

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...cellulite.html

Quote:
"Cellulite" Removers
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Cellulite is a term coined in European salons and spas to describe deposits of dimpled fat found on the thighs and buttocks of many women. Widespread promotion of the concept in the United States followed the 1973 publication of Cellulite: Those Lumps, Bumps and Bulges You Couldn't Lose Before, by Nicole Ronsard, owner of a New York City beauty salon that specialized in skin and body care. Cellulite is alleged to be a special type of "fat gone wrong," a combination of fat, water, and "toxic wastes" that the body has failed to eliminate. Alleged "anticellulite" products sold through retail outlets, by mail, through multilevel companies, and through the Internet have included "loofah" sponges; cactus fibers; special washcloths; horsehair mitts; creams and gels to "dissolve" cellulite; supplements containing vitamins; minerals and/or herbs; bath liquids; massagers ; rubberized pants; exercise books; brushes; rollers; body wraps; and toning lotions. Many salons offer treatment with electrical muscle stimulation, vibrating machines, inflatable hip-high pressurized boots, "hormone" or "enzyme" injections, heating pads, and massage. Some operators claim that 5 to 15 inches can be lost in one hour. A series of treatments can cost hundreds of dollars.

"Cellulite" is not a medical term. Medical authorities agree that cellulite is simply ordinary fatty tissue. Strands of fibrous tissue connect the skin to deeper tissue layers and also separate compartments that contain fat cells. When fat cells increase in size, these compartments bulge and produce a waffled appearance of the skin. Many years ago, Neil Solomon, M.D., conducted a double-blind study of 100 people to see whether cellulite differed from ordinary fat. Specimens of regular fat and lumpy fat were obtained by a needle biopsy procedure and given to pathologists for analysis and comparison. No difference between the two was found.

More recently, researchers at Rockefeller Institute used ultrasonography, microscopic examinations, and fat-metabolism studies to see "affected" and unaffected skin areas differed in seven healthy adult subjects (five women, two men; four affected, three unaffected). The researchers concluded: (a) certain characteristics of skin make women more prone than men to develop cellulite; (b) the process is diffuse rather than localized; and (3) there were no significant differences in the appearance or function of the fatty tissue or the regional blood flow between affected and unaffected sites within individuals.

Electrical Muscle Stimulators (EMS) and Iontophoresis Devices
Muscle stimulators are a legitimate medical device approved for certain conditions -- to relax muscle spasms, increase blood circulation, prevent blood clots, and rehabilitate muscle function after a stroke. But many health spas and figure salons claim that muscle stimulators can remove wrinkles, perform face lifts, reduce breast size, reduce a "beer belly," and remove cellulite. Iontophoresis devices are prescription devices that use direct electric current to introduce ions of soluble salts (i.e., medications) into body tissues for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes. The only approved use is for diagnosing cystic fibrosis.

The FDA considers promotion of muscle stimulators or iontophoresis devices for any type of body shaping or contouring to be fraudulent. The most infamous of these devices, the Relax-A-Cizor, was claimed to reduce girth by delivering electric shocks to the muscles. More than 400,000 units were sold for $200 to $400 each before the FDA obtained an injunction in 1970 to stop its sale. At the trial, 40 witnesses testified that they had been injured while using the machine. The judge concluded that the device could cause miscarriages and aggravate many preexisting medical conditions, including hernias, ulcers, varicose veins, and epilepsy.

Body Wrapping
Many salons and spas exist where clients supposedly can trim inches off the waist, hips, thighs, and other areas of the body. These facilities use wraps or garments, with or without special lotions or creams applied to the skin. The garments may be applied to parts of the body or to the entire body. Clients are typically assured that fat will "melt away" and they can lose "up to 2 inches from those problem areas in just one hour." Suddenly Slender, which licenses body-wrap shops in the United States and Canada, claims that "wrapping works because cellulite is water-logged fatty tissue." As part of its sales pitch to prospective owners, the company notes that free publicity may be obtainable. Its Web site states: "Because clients get dressed up as "mummies" and then, almost miraculously, achieve major inch loss and startling improvements to their figures, local and national media have been overwhelmingly receptive to featuring presentations about the service."

Home-use systems are also being marketed through the Internet and through multilevel marketing. Many of the systems are claimed to "remove toxins." Some marketers suggest measuring a large number of body areas before and afterward and adding up the differences to get "total inches lost." Life Force International, for example, recommends adding the results of 17 measurements. This enables minor changes due to temporary effects or to measurement variations to appear to be large numbers.

No product taken by mouth can cause selective reduction of an area of the body. Although wrapping may cause temporary water loss as a result of perspiration or compression, any fluid will soon be replaced by drinking or eating. The idea that herbal wraps detoxify the body is absurd.

Cellasene
An herbal product called Cellasene is being vigorously promoted as a cellulite remedy. The product was developed by an Italian chemist named Gianfranco Merizzi. Its ingredients are evening primrose oil, dried fucus vesiculosis extract, gelatine, fish oil, glycerol, soya oil, grape seed, bioflavonoids, soya lecithin, fatty acids, dried sweet clover extract, dried ginkgo biloba extract, and iron oxide. The product, to be taken twice daily (or three times per day for an "intensive" program) for two months and then once daily for maintenance costs $1.50 to $2.00 per capsule. Here's what one Internet marketer says [followed by my comments in brackets]:

Dried ginkgo biloba extract assists in blood circulation and stimulates the metabolism of fats. [Although ginkgo can increase circulation, it does not stimulate fat metabolism. Even if it did, there is no reason why it would exert a localized effect.]
Dried sweet clover extract can increase blood circulation and assist in removing fluid build-up. [This ingredient may have mild diuretic action, but is not "fluid build-up" is not a factor in the appearance or composition of fatty tissue.]
Grape seed bioflavonoids are powerful antioxidants that protect cells and blood vessels from damage. [Whether antioxidant supplements help protect tissues is not scientifically settled. Regardless, any such mechanism has nothing to do with the quantity or appearance of fatty tissues.]
Dried fucus vesiculosus extract stimulates metabolism and can help reduce localized fats. [This herb contains significant amounts of iodine and could adversely effect the thyroid gland. The U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance (USRDA) for iodine is 150 micrograms. The average American woman ingests 170 micrograms per day from food (not including iodized salt). Each capsule of Cellasene contains 240 micrograms of iodine. If enough were taken to increase thyroid function, the result would be unhealthy.]
Evening primrose oil and fish oil are rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, a source of energy that increases metabolic levels and helps in diminishing saturated fatty acids. [The "energy" is simply the caloric value. Neither oil increases metabolism or reduces the amount of other fats one eats.]
Soya lecithin helps to break down fats. [The body makes all the lecithin it needs. Lecithin supplements do not cause the body to shed fat.]
Rexall Sundown, Inc. has been Cellasene's primary marketer in the United States. The company's Web site has claimed:

Cellasene works from within, nutritionally, to help fight cellulite at its source. . . .

Cellasene is a safe, clinically studied formula that works over time at the source of the problem -- below the surface of the skin. This unique formula of plant extracts and other beneficial dietary supplements nourishes connective tissue from within and helps reduce cellulite. The herbal ingredients in Cellasene work to increase blood circulation, reduce fluid buildup, stimulate metabolism and reduce localized fats. CONVENIENT AND EASY TO USE. . . .

You do not need to change your diet and exercise routine for Cellasene to work. It is simple and effortless to incorporate the easy-to-swallow Cellasene softgels into your daily regimen.

On March 15, 1999, during an interview on CNBC-TV, Rexall's chief executive officer claimed that three clinical trials sponsored by the company had demonstrated a 90% success rate, but the results would not be submitted to scientific journals because Rexall did not want to reveal the amounts of each ingredient in its formula. This statement was preposterous because results could published without revealing the exact amounts of each ingredient. Two weeks later, I searched Medline for "cellulite" and "Cellasene" and found no report that any product taken by mouth was proven useful against cellulite.

Near the end of May, apparently in response to criticism in the media, Rexall released various details on two of the studies and posted them to its Science on Cellasene Web site. The first study was performed on 25 healthy female volunteers whose hip and thigh and ankle circumference were measured before and after eight weeks of daily consumption of the product. Although differences between the initial and final measurements were reported, no control group was used, so that it would not be possible to tell whether any changes were related to taking the products or to measurement variations. In addition, neither individual measurements nor weights were reported, so that it is not possible to judge from the data whether the reductions were related to weight loss, whether coincidental or otherwise.

The second study compared 25 people who took the product with 15 people who took a placebo for eight weeks. According to the report, the average weight of both groups varied little but average hip and thigh circumference and skin thickness (measured with an ultrasound test) decreased. However, the experimental design was so seriously flawed that the findings should not be regarded as valid. The participants were not told whether they were receiving Cellasene or the placebo, but the investigators knew who was in each group because only the Cellasene group had blood drawn for testing. This could have influenced the way the measurements were performed, as well as the participants' motivation. No data were given to demonstrate whether the measurement process was accurate or whether the appearance or feel of the women's skin had changed. In addition, although measurements were made at the experiment's beginning, midpoint, and end, the midpoint measurements were not reported on Rexall's Web site.

It seems to me that a valid test should involve: (a) more participants, (b) a longer initial investigative period plus monthly follow-up measurements for at least a year, (c) standardization of the measurement technique, (d) measurements taken by at least three investigators, (e) blinding of the investigators about who received the Cellasene and who did not, (f) measuring several times a week to see whether measurements tend to change or remain constant, (g) weekly ratings of the appearance of the skin by both the participants and the experimenters, and (h) release of the individual data in addition to the group averages. I have suggested these points to Rexall's chief executive officer.

A spokesperson for Cellasene's Italian manufacturer stated that a study involving 200 women would be done at the University of Miami with results expected in the Fall of 1999. In June 2000, however, the lead researcher study stated that the $400,000 study could not be completed because some of the participants had not come to the testing site to be measured. In the interim a British researcher reported finding no difference in hip and thigh measurements between 11 women taking Cellasene and 8 women using a placebo.

Piggyback Attempt?

InHealth America, of Carlsbad, California, competed with Rexall by marketing a similar product called CelluLean. The company's Web site, which was registered during the week Rexall introduced Cellasene, stated:

CelluLean melts away cellulite by increasing your metabolism and blood circulation, breaking down the fats found in cellulite, and removing toxins from your body. The herbal extracts in CelluLean have been proven to be effective in reducing fatty deposits. Simply put, CelluLean helps your body to reach and break down cellulite, enabling your skin to regain its youthful smooth appearance.

One way to attract browsers to a Web site is to place "meta tags" into the site's source code. The words in the meta tags are not visible when looking at the page, but search engines search engines use them as hints about the relevance of a site. For example, if a user searches for "cancer," and a web site uses "cancer" as a meta tag, the search engine may consider the site to be relevant to the search, regardless of the site's actual content. InHealth America's "keywords" meta tag read:

Cellasene, Cellulean, selesene, neurosharp, cellesene, selasene, selleseen, cellasene, celesene, celasene, SlimRX, Rexall, cellulite, Cellulene, Cellutrim, Inhealth America, InHealthAmerica, In Health America, Pharmaceuticals, interactive, InHealth, In Health, America, Metabolife, Metabo, 356, Herbalife, Nu-way, MegaTrim, Mega Trim, Megatrim, Adaptogenol, Adaptagenol, Adaptogen, Adaptagen, Adaptotrim, Adaptatrim, Lipuramine, Liporimine, Arthranol, Artharanol, stress, Stress, health, liver, arthritis, San Diego, Carlsbad, California, NASA, diet, weight loss, heal, herbal, MLM, network marketing, marketing, unilevel, binary, multi-level marketing, interactive, business, home business, downline, sponsors, products, compensation, joints, business opportunity, remedy, pain, relief, natural, performance, endurance, mental, concentration, sleep, research, immune system, fatigue, weight gain, California, inflammation, supplement, science, doctor, energy, recovery, future, Fat, Cortisol, eat, food, high fat, low fat

Thus people searching for any of the above topics could find a link to InHealth America's site.

Endermologie
In 1998, the FDA approved a high-powered, handheld massage tool that consists of a treatment head and two motorized rollers with a suction device that compresses the affected tissue between the two rollers. The manufacturer is permitted to promote it for "temporarily improving the appearance of cellulite." The procedure -- called Endermologie -- usually takes 10 to 20 treatments to get the best results, and one or two maintenance treatments per month are required to maintain them. Without the maintenance, the benefits will soon be lost. The typical cost is $45 to $65 per session. A recently published study of 85 women between the ages of 21 to 61 found that 46 patients who completed seven sessions showed a mean index reduction in body circumference of 1.34 cm, while 39 patients who completed 14 sessions of treatments showed a mean index reduction in body circumference of 1.83 cm. However, another study, involving 52 women, found no objective difference in thigh girth (at two points) or thigh fat depth (measured by ultrasound).

Enforcement Actions
The FTC has taken successful action against many marketers of alleged cellulite-reducing products:

In 1991, Slender You, Inc., signed a consent agreement prohibiting unsubstantiated claims that its continuous passive motion (CPM) tables enable the user to lose weight; lose inches; remove cellulite; flush out toxins; tone and firm muscles; or achieve physical fitness benefits comparable or superior to those provided by rigorous exercise.
In 1993, a similar action was taken against Fleetwood Manufacturing, Inc., of Mesa, Arizona, and its owner, Thomas A. Fleetwood.
In 1993, Nature's Cleanser, based in Beverly Hills, California, and Donald Douglas-Torry agreed not to make unsubstantiated claims that its herbal tablets would promote weight loss by "cleansing" the bowel. The company had claimed that weight could be immediately controlled by without dieting or watching calories by eliminating waste such as fatty tissues, cellulite, toxins, mucus, hardened fecal matter and harmful drug residues.
In 1993, Revlon, Inc. and its subsidiary, Charles Revson, Inc., signed a consent agreement not to make unsubstantiated claims that their Ultima II ProCollagen anti-cellulite body complex would: (a) significantly reduce cellulite, help disperse toxins and excess water from areas where cellulite appears; (b) reduce skin's bumpy texture, ripples or slackness caused by cellulite; (c) help disperse toxins and excess water from areas where cellulite appears; and (d) increase sub-skin tissue strength and tone.
In 1993, Synchronal Corp agreed to stop unsubstantiated claims for its Anuska Bio-Response Body Contouring Program cellulite cream and to pay $3.5 million in consumer redress.
In 1993, National Media Corp./Media Arts International, Ltd., agreed to a consent agreement and $275,000 in consumer redress in connection with infomercials claiming that its Cosmetique Francais would substantially reduce or eliminate cellulite, was more effective than diet or exercise, and would prevent recurrence if used once or twice a week.
In 1995, a federal judge in California permanently banned Silueta Distributors, Inc., a Chatsworth, California-based company, and its president, Stanley Klavir, from deceptively claiming that their "Sistema Silueta" cream and tablets would reduce cellulite. The judge concluded said that Sistema Silueta was nothing more than moisturizer and diuretic tablets, neither of which would cause cellulite loss. The defendants were also ordered to pay $169,339 in consumer redress.
In 1995, European Body Concepts and its and its president James Marino signed a consent agreement prohibiting it from making unsubstantiated claims that its body-wrapping system would cause the user to lose inches, pounds, and cellulite quickly and easily, without dieting or exercising, and that the system could reduce the size of specific areas of the body.
In 1995, National Dietary Research, Inc. (NDR) and its owner William H. Morris agreed to pay $100,000 to settle FTC charges of deceptively advertising Food Source One (FS-1) as a weight-loss and cholesterol-reducing product . The product was a compressed tablet made largely from plant fiber. The consent agreement included a clause that prohibited unsubstantiated claims of cellulite reduction.
In 1998, an Australian federal judge ordered the Swiss Slimming and Health Institute and its director to pay the Commission $1.47 million in penalties and interest, some of which would be refunded to defrauded clients.
In 1999, the Iowa Attorney General obtained an order prohibiting Lipo Slim, Inc., of New York City from continuing to marketing its "Lipo Slim Briefs" in Iowa. Ads said wearing the briefs would "get rid of your cellulite" and "dissolve fat and hydric deposits that accumulate in your hips, stomach, buttocks and thighs." An ad in the National Enquirer said that "thousands of thermo-active micropore cells" in the briefs "produce a gentle massage that destroys deep fat particles and liquid molecules which are the cause of excess fat." The order required the company to offer full refunds to its Iowa buyers and pay $12,000 to the state consumer education fund.
In 1999, the FDA ordered Cellulite Reduction of New York to stop suggesting that Endodermology could have more than a temporary effect on cellulite.
In July 2000, the FTC charged Rexall Sundown, Inc., with making false and unsubstantiated claims for Cellasene.
The Bottom Line
The amount of fat in the body is determined by the individual's eating and exercise habits, but the distribution of fat in the body is determined by heredity. In most cases reduction of a particular part can be accomplished only as part of an overall weight-reduction program. Endermologie may temporarily improve the appearance of dimpled areas, but the procedure is time-consuming and expensive. Liposuction may permanently help in some cases.
Here's another article that I found at:

http://www.liposuction4you.com/cellu...al_therapy.htm

Quote:
"Cottage cheese" or "orange peel" thighs... you've heard it all and nobody likes them. That dimpled, irregular, untoned appearance. I have it, some of you may have it - what can be done about it?? While there is no definite procedure that can help all cellulite cases there are a few may help some of us.

What Is Cellulite?
cel*lu*lite
(noun)
: lumpy fat found in the thighs, hips, and buttocks of some women

cel*lu*li*tis
(noun)
: diffuse and esp. subcutaneous inflammation of connective tissue

Cellulite is a non-medical term to describe when superficial fatty deposits collect and are pressed up against or are constricted by the bands of connective tissue which run from the muscle to the undermost area of the skin. Cellulite can be made worse by the superficial layer of fat being pushed tightly up against the skin by the deeper fat layer when you gain weight or a formation of more tightly crossed connective tissue bands or scar tissue formation after liposuction. However, excess deep layer fat need not be an issue for cellulite to appear. Many skinny people have it as well.

Most women and some men have cellulite and it is estimated that 90% of the female population have or will have cellulite. It is not something which only plagues the obese or overweight - it can affects any of us and has no prejudice. So throw everything out the window that you've heard about cellulite and listen up. Your skinny little cousin may have it, your average-weighted friend who just had lipo may have it, that overweight lady at the deli may have it, that muscular cardio-freak woman at the gym probably doesn't have it but who needs her? Do you have it?

Pinch your thigh slightly and if you begin to see dents and bumps - that is cellulite. However, many of us don't even have to pinch our thighs to see it *raising hand over here*. For many of us we can just stand there, innocently, and tear up at the sight of our dimpled backsides in the mirror.

IMPORTANT! Liposuction does not usually improve the appearance of cellulite and in some cases can make the appearance of cellulite worse or "cause" cellulite in patients who did not have it prior to their liposuction.

Don't Confuse "Normal" Fat With Cellulite?? Myth.
We all have fat and we need fat - fat insulates our bodies and provides our body with necessary energy stores. Fat is essential for healthy body function. Cellulite, however, is the devil. Cellulite is a slang term for a condition of how your skin appears due to fat, not a TYPE of fat. It is a condition where reportedly fat either collects too much in the superficial layer or is constricted by bands of the vertical fibrous connective tissue, called fibrous septae, or pushed up from below from the bulging, deeper fatty layers due to weight gain. You may have heard that cellulite reportedly provides no cushioning, no insulation, no function whatsoever but to make trying on bathing suits in poorly lit dressing rooms a living ****. And that cellulite is not smooth fat or that it is an anomaly of sorts which rears it's ugly head more and more as our skin thins with age and our hormones become unbalanced. Cellulite fat is simply not any different physiologically than regular, ole fat. It is just a happenstance of the amount of fat you have, how it is distributed and the placement of your own fibrous septae.

However! The fibrous tissue bands (remember "fibrous septae") which surrounds our superficial fat and snakes through it as it reaches up vertically from your muscle fascia to the underside of your dermis can cause problems. Lack of circulation, movement, and heredity play a big roll in how the connective tissue "acts". Ever notice that your cellulite and dense fatty areas are painful upon pressure - I do. You can't squeeze it like looser fatty areas under your navel. It's not as pliable; it is more stiff. Well that is because of the compact nature of your fat cells in that area and also the small, but firm compartments made by the connective tissue which runs from the dermis, through the superficial fat layer to the underlying muscle fascia. These fat cells in areas which you seem to gain first and lose last are going to be more packed together (non-areolar tissue) and larger in a smaller areas since that is where the majority of your fat is "held". My problems areas are my saddle bags so when I squeeze this area gently it hurts, my partner's is in his flanks and spare tire. This area is more stiff, tightly packed in there and he has more discomfort in this area if I were to squeeze it than on his arm or thigh. However he doesn't have cellulite, you don't have to have "cellulite" to have dense fatty areas which cause discomfort to squeeze. Same thing with the back of my arms, I can pinch more than an inch but when I do it stings like the dickens! The more enlarged and crowded your fat cells and the more they are constricted by your fibrous septae, the more stiff it is going to be.

Unfortunately for us and more fortunate for men, their connective tissue seems to "hold up" better and hold their fat "in". This was once thought to be due to the more honeycomb nature of their connective tissue as opposed to our intermittent fibrous septae. However, this is unsubstantiated thus far and now we women are left to wonder at why we have it.

Well What Causes It & How Do I Get Rid Of It??
Well, the sad truth is there is no definite "cure" because a number of factors are attributed to patients having cellulite. There is no definite targeted group of people who have it but diet and exercise are a big factor in determining who gets it - as well as the gene pool (thank your parents for this one). I, for one, eat as healthy as one can, or at least I try to. I have a VERY strict diet - I eat no sugar whatsoever, no bread, no potatoes, barely any carbohydrates unless they are whole grain or vegetables and I... Well alright, I'll admit it... I don't exercise THAT much but I am no couch potato by any means. Well, I am a victim of cellulite as well and I hate it! hate it! hate it! *stomping foot*.

Some physicians and aestheticians believe it to be circulation and connective tissue issues, health-healers believe that "toxins" are a good part of why cellulite appears. Some believe it is too much water which has "pooled" underneath the skin. Some even believe it is from not drinking enough water - and that fact throws your whole body out of whack so don't buy it. And still others believe it is a factor of all of these, heredity, lack of exercise, connective tissue disorders, and even perhaps from the sun reflecting off of Venus or a weather balloon which causes the shadows and dips which mercilessly plant themselves on our thighs. Hmmmph!

Let's get down to it and see what procedures, remedies and products are out there which may help some of us...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Endermologie™ (also called "LPG" or "Liponic Sculpting")
The Endermologie™ machine originated in France in the early 80's and has been used, successfully, on many European patients for about 12 years. It was later introduced to the U.S. in 1996 and later "approved" by the FDA as the only machine at that time to help temporarily rid the body of the appearance of cellulite and improve skin texture in general. The Endermologie™ machine is considered a Class I device under Title 21, Section 890.5660; Code of Federal Regulations and is safe for use for most healthy individuals. This section covers therapeutic massage devices and tissue massaging-type machines. Endermologie™ offers a non-invasive, non-surgical - yet temporary "cure" for skin contour irregularities. The Endermologie™ machine is a patented vacuum device which creates suction to temporarily immobilize and lift your soft tissue while dual "rollers" create deep, subdermal massage to the connective tissue and fat globules to improve the appearance of cellulite. Reportedly, the stretching of the fibrous bands loosen and releases the fat by mobilizing it or "setting it free" from the tight and compact grasped of the connective tissue. Endermologie™ can also reduce body mass by a few inches. The Endermologie™ machine literally sucks the skin up and rolls the skin out resulting in deep tissue massage. This simultaneous act of "massaging" loosens tightly, packed fat from the skin and promotes better circulation. Cellulite is thought to be reduced by " increased vascularity" which is thought to better remove waste. The act of massage may also promote new collagen growth which is thought to help strengthen the connective tissue thereby prohibiting fat globules from "pressing" through the honeycomb structure of the connective tissue itself. When fat globules are constricted and pressed towards the skin - the cellulite is more visible.

An Endermologie™ session take about 30 to 45 minutes and has been described as feeling like a rigorous massage, Some patients who are new to Endermologie™ may experience discomfort as the initial dense fatty areas are loosened. However, the machines do have several settings which can be adjusted to fit your comfort level. Some patients may even fall asleep. You are "required" to drink a normal to substantial amount of water during the course of your treatments. This allows your body to "flush toxins" and promotes hydration which is essential for skin health.

Endermologie™ also reduces body measurements and many patients report having lost several inches in their treatment area. Changes can usually be seen within 4 to 5 treatments however many patients report significant results after 8 to 10 and even up to 12 sessions. During the FDA clinicals (trials, studies, etc.), patients were required to have 2 treatments a week for a period of 10 weeks. Many of these patients, of course, saw improvement within the first 2-3 weeks. However, packages are usually bought in sets of 8 to 10. Some patients may need more, some less - it truly is individual. Individual treatment sessions are more pricey (from $75. to $200.US) in the long run than packages bought in advance. Packages are usually the best economically but paying that much up front for a procedure you are skeptical of is a hard choice to make.

There are other machines which are available and are similar but NOT the exact same as the Endermologie™ machine such as ESC's Silhouette SilkLight® Subdermal Tissue Massage System. ESC claims to have improved upon Endermologie™'s original design.

Just remember that with all things comes maintenance and Endermologie™ results are NOT permanent. Patients must return for treatments between once a month or once every few months, or for as needed to keep the smooth appearance of their skin. So expect this to be a lifelong thing is cellulite is an issue not easily "beat" by diet and exercise.

Does It Work? It doesn't work for everyone - but yes, it does work for a lot of patients. There are a great many people who don't believe it works and even porcine model (pig) studies which concluded that Endermologie™ did scarcely anything in some studies. I, too, was even a skeptic at first until a few people I know had really great results - without lipo beforehand or after - and well, I am a believer. Unfortunately, since it is not permanent many of us are not going to spend the money for the initial aggressive treatment phase and then maintain the result with costly maintenance treatments. I know people who have gotten and kept going and quite frankly they look TOO skinny now. I know, I know - you're saying "THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!!" Trust me, there is. Bottom line, if you can afford it, go for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Superficial Liposuction (also called "Liposculpture" or "Liposuction Sculpture")
Definitely a controversial subject and a disaster in the hands of surgeon who has NO clue what he or she is doing. It seems absolutely wondrous in theory but in real life can ruin your skin if not performed correctly, or if you're not "lucky". This procedure was first introduced in 1989 and was originally meant to tighten skin in patients where poor laxity was an issue or large amounts of fat had previously stretched out the skin of the patient. According to Yale Medical Core Curriculum small, titanium 1.8-2 mm cannulas (or cannulae) with different tips are used to remove fat cells close to the skin and cause minor damage thereby causing contractions of the skin. Superficial liposuction has helped the appearance of cellulite in many cases but may not be safe enough to consider - especially if your surgeon in not highly skilled in this technique. Very permanent skin irregularities such as discolorations, visible vascularity from superficial angiogenesis and even necrosis (tissue death) are possible with Superficial Liposuction.

Superficial liposuction is controversial due to skin irregularities being unpredictable in many patients post-operatively. The results can be quite tragic in the wrong hands or in cases which a proper surgeon was used. The fact is that superficial liposuction and subdermal rasping, scoring or even laser can cause severe damage to the underlying area, causes excessive scar tissue formation and irregular angiogenesis. Some surgeons are big believers in it and it's true that some of these surgeons have excellent results. BUT, not all surgeons know what they are doing when it comes to superficial liposuction. Some surgeons use superficial fat liposuction to market "ab etching". Ab etching is a procedure where certain areas of fat are removed, mainly in areas where the separate lateral bands of fascia section off the rectus abdominus muscle. This creates a more pronounced "six pack" effect. Superficial liposuction is not only a procedure reserved specifically for abs, but is used in facial areas, submental (under chin) liposuction, the waist area, the flat area of the glutes and any other area that specific contouring is desired. I know a few surgeons who are capable of giving spectacular results with the abdominal etching procedure - but remember, not all are capable.

The superficial fat layer is more dense is surrounded by many essential nerves and blood vessel and irregularities are a probability. Many surgeons choose not to offer their patients superficial liposuction however, many still do. Please be VERY careful in your surgeon-choice and be sure all aspects of this procedure and its inherent risks are discussed at the consultation.

External Ultrasound Treatments (without aspiration)
Non-surgical fat "removal" is indeed an exciting concept and it actually is a reality. Unfortunately the results are usually a small amount of fat loss. External ultrasound can affect the outer cell wall of the fat cell, exciting and bursting or weakening the fat cell. The fat cell is thus destroyed and the body immediately begins to remove the fatty tissue through its regular waste removal system. Please see our Non-surgical Fat Removal: Fact or Fiction? for more information on UltraShape Nonsurgical Body Sculpting.

Laser-assisted Liposuction
Also called " Laser Liposuction" or "Laser Liposculpture". This procedure was pioneered quite by accident by Columbian surgeon, Dr. Rodrigo Neira. Dr. Neira reportedly had first attempted to relieve pain and lessen the recovery time with this device which was intended and FDA approved for pain movement. He noticed that fat was emulsified and released after use of the device and that increased contouring efficiency was possible. However, Dr Neira also noticed that although the fat was emulsified the adipocyte's membrane was unharmed. The fat cells resembled deflated, yet unruptured, membranes. Laserliposis is most commonly used in conjunction with tumescent liposuction but has been used for smaller targeted fatty areas for emulsification without suction-assisted aspiration. The body can remove a small amount of fat quite efficiently on its own with routine waste removal. This device does not create heat (it is considered a "cool" or "cold" laser) therefore no detrimental thermal wound responses of any kind have developed thus far.

The device is held over treatment areas for 12 minutes and then small incisions are used to drain the fluid and fat cells. It is reported that 10 Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons were chosen for a study regarding lo level laser-assisted liposuction.

Laser Lipolisis (or lipolysis)
Laser Lipolisis (sometimes hyphenated or presented together as "laserlipolisis") is a newer procedure invented in Italy. This procedure is not found in the United States as of yet and is performed in Italy, Argentina, possibly in Brazil and in scattered areas of Europe. This procedure is performed with injections similar to the "tumescent" technique and involves the insertion of a fiber optic laser through very small incisions. This fiber optic laser light seems to affect only the yellow material in the body - the fat. Amounts of 500 grams of fat can usually be absorbed and naturally excreted as waste by the body. Although Laserlipolisis was not deigned for high volume applications, larger volumes of fat can be liquefied and suction aspirated. What is very odd and sometimes disturbing about Laserlipolisis is the audible "popping" sound during the procedure best described as sounding like popcorn popping. This procedure has been reported to help with cellulite.

Electromagnetic Treatments (Cellular Electrotherapy)
Sometimes dubbed as Tissue Decongestion Therapy, some people believe electromagnetic fields can restore proper body function, "curing" complaints and disorders such as Fibromyalgia to cellulite. Somehow I doubt that. Actual magnets or a device which emits electormagnetic pulses as you lie there which they say returns proper electromagnetic charges to your cells so they release "stagnant" or "bound" water. Keyword: water. Temporary fix even if it does work. And your fluids pass through your cells normally, through osmosis. If water can freely exchange through a breast implant shell while in vivo, water can certainly pass through a membranous cell wall designed to do such. One company even claims that their product, "helps the synthesis of amino-acids and improves the metabolic function of cells and tissue". I personally won't be trying it but feel free. Caveat emptor.

Body "Wraps"
This is an impossibility. Body wraps do not make you loose fat they temporarily compress the tissues and cause you to lose water locally - again, temporarily. As soon as you drink a glass or two of fluid or eat a regular meal, it's back. It may be a luxury but it does nothing for you for long term, fat loss. Neither do mud, seaweed or herbal wraps. All you get is some localized edema loss and some cleaned out pores or good exfoliation. If you get all poofed up from the heat which may disguise the surrounding bumps, it is temporary.

Vinyl, Plastic, Latex and Neoprene Garments & Wraps
These are designed or at least marketed to reduce mass and the appearance of cellulite. They claim the more you sweat the more you lose - you are losing water and temporarily at that. The tight ones temporarily compress the tissue as well. You can't make fat and cellulite "disappear" by simply wearing a neoprene wrap around your body or a pair of plastic shorts. I have fallen for it too - so please don't you make that mistake. In fact, my old roommate when I was younger and I each had an entire purple and black plastic suit that we'd wear as we exercised for an hour to the Jane Fonda Workout. We didn't lose anything but water.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cellulite Pills
Cellulite pills (such as Cellesene, CellaLean, CellaLose) have NEVER been proven in a certifiable clinical study to affect any cellulite cases. In fact some companies have been ordered to pay penalties and refunds as well. People continue to buy them and continue to be defrauded. Even if you were to take a stimulant (which are dangerous by the way) and your heart would race and your body burn more calories because of the caffeine, ephedra, ma huang, etc. - you lose weight all over not in one areas. Although the caffeine is a diuretic and will cause you to lose water, dehydrating you, making your cellulite look worse if you don't drink enough to replenish what you sweat and pee out. I can't recommend them.

RejuveSkin
RejuveSkin, is a new and exciting breakthrough to treat skin contour irregularities caused by the fibrous septae. This procedure was invented by Dr. Stephen X. Giunta and involves a "special solution" and special tools (the RejuveSkin Dermasector) created just for the RejuveSkin method which severs the problematic septae. The tools are inserted under the skin using 2 or 3 very small, specially placed incisions. This releases the skin from being pulled down irregularly to the muscle fascia, causing those unsightly bumps and dips.

This surgery can be performed under IV sedation with local anesthetic or under an oral sedative with local anesthesia. However, I received a call from a representative at their company that no sedation or sedative is necessary.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Speaking from a nurses point of view and a Avon rep too, I know this will not imporve and reduce cellulite but may just tighten the skin (warm and tingly feeling) thus makeing the cellulite look smaller and losing an inch. for me I am gong to try it, and let people that I sell it to know how I feel the porduct works. My skin is too flabby and if it tightens the skin I just may buy a vat of the stuff and soak in it every day!!!

If you notice there are tons of face creams that state the same thing it reduces wrikles what do you think they do?? tighten the skin and reduce the look of flabb. so what is the difference?? they pay well over 30 some times 60+++ for a small 2 oz jar so what is a mere 15$$ ???

Just my humble opinion. as long as you realize that nothing will actually reduce cellulite and the only way to lose inches pernamently is to exercise and weight loss then you are set!!! and if you need a fis to tightne the skin >>> well

see your local avon rep!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey just a quick note here -

I was just in Italy on my honeymoon and just to let you know the whole cellulite hysteria is in full swing there.... I didnt walk by one pharmacy or perfumeria (cosmetic store) without them having some "miracle cream" promotion in every single window.... I was amazed. I mean I know we have it here to some degree but not near the level that they have there.... although maybe it is on its way.....

I unfortunately dont believe it works.... I think if you just get a natural bristle body brush and dry brush your skin moving towards your heart in slow motions for about 5 minutes everyday you will see 10 times more improvement than any cream..... and most cream is made up mostly of caffiene which is to basically get rid of the excess water build up you might have.... so if you are interested in this just go get the cheapest ground coffee from the grocery store and mix in with some cheap body lotion and use this as a scrub on your body.... you will see the same or better improvement for a heck of alot less money....
Old 07-14-2003, 12:36 PM   #12  

I've tried this and after 3 weeks had lost 1" off my thighs, and the cellulite was noticeably improved. I'm sure its still there, but it looked better, which is great for summer.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:10 PM   #13  

I am an Avon rep and also a nurse. First of all, the add states that you can lose up to 1" in 4 weeks, providing you follow the directions! Do you know how many customers used the cream once or twice total (the directions stated every day once or twice for 4 weeks) and wondered why they saw no results!!!! I have customers that followed the directions and saw results!! Is it a cure for cellulite? NO!!!! There is no cure!! The tube does not claim to be a cure, but it does tighten and smooth the skin so it looks better!!!!!! I also have customers, although they have not seen great changes in their skin, love the cream for it's hydration properties.

Also, you can work your butt off with diet and exercise, and still have cellulite. Also, just because you are overweight, doesn't always mean you have cellulite as well. If you put a cellulite cream on fat, it won't work!!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents worth!!

Jodi in Wpg
Old 07-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #14  

Default goshdarn dimples...

i think cellulite is pretty much confirmed as a genetic/hereditary problem. if youre overweight then it will obviously be visibly worse...

after losing my weight, i was bummed to find i still have extra skin at my thighs/hips as muscular as i am. and i have cellulite, too, which i think is further complicated by the extra skin...

in addition to regular exercises like my step class twice a week, i also work in some leg machines and also leg lifts as well, with a stability ball. this helps to firm up the saddlebags and butt.

as far as creams go: i like the nivea skin firming and the new loreal one (which as a crisper scent and seems to provide more moisture on my skin). along with the moisturizer, ive also found that massaging this area in the shower after a work out helps as well, with a "firming" or deluxe moisturizer body wash. i used exfoliation gloves and massage all of the areas and follow up with the cream.

it doesnt get RID of it, but it certainly help work the water out... ALONG with the work outs.

*mel
Old 08-18-2003, 08:58 PM   #15  

I remember a product out years ago, I don't know if they still make it. It was a seaweed soap used with a plastic contraption with small rubber protusions. I can honestly say that it did work for me. I think it was the massaging action. You have to do it in the direction towards the heart. It is temporary, you need to do it a few times a week to maintain. When the seaweed soap was gone, I used a natural soap instead (cheaper). I don't believe creams work at all. How can they?
Closed Thread