Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Got sick after eating bread, does this happen to others?

I'm curious, has this ever happened to anyone else? Yesterday, like a dope, I decided to have one piece of rye toast with butter with breakfast. Later in the day, my stomach was so upset and it didn't seem like it could have been any other thing I'd eaten. I chewed on some ginger and it kinda went away. This morning, I got up extra early for an appointment, I had a cup of tea and . So I'm wondering, if you've completely given up grains and then had a really processed version and gotten sick yourself. I wonder if this is a thing, or what.

I have been keeping my carbs at around 70 a day. They are vegetables and fruit (organic). The majority of my calorie intake is fat and protein (grassfed sources). I haven't had any grains in about a month.
TheMeIwant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

Hmmm.... they may make my tummy rumble a bit, but I've never thrown up. I'd be more apt to say that you either had a little tummy bug OR you could have some sort of intolerance. I could be wrong, though. If it's a gluten intolerance, I believe you can be tested for that. Hopefully some others will chime in.
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #3  

Thanks JustJ280. I'm thinking maybe it is a tummy bug. I've asked my friend who has been following the same program as me, she hasn't had this ever happen. Anyway, it's enough to keep me away from processed foods.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

One data point a trends it does not make. You need more observations before deciding one way or another. A great way to keep track of your body is a food journal. By recording both what you ate and various reactions/symptoms you will be able to gauge whether something is true for your body. If hormonal fluctuations are a factor, then observing meaningful data could take months. But if this is a "lifestyle" change, you have the time to track.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #5  

I've been tracking everything on Livestrong since January, it helps a lot. I really just panicked because I haven't felt so horrible in such a long time. I still feel crappy, so I can't blame it on a piece of bread I had yesterday morning. But it is interesting to find out the experiences of others. This (WOE) is so foreign to me, I have no experiences to pull from. I appreciate any and all input, it's so helpful in keeping me focused and free of anxiety.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Nope, I've been under 30 carbs for 7 months or so but even if I "cheat" and have a whole wheat sandwich or a whole wheat tortilla I never get sick. Like a previous poster said sometimes my stomach makes noise but that's about it. You probably just had a bug.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

hmmm.. was the bread past the expiry date by any chance? the butter?
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Low-carb dieting is how I learned that I have a moderately-severe wheat allergy/intolerance.

You can't draw conclusions from one experience or even necessarily a dozen, nor from a handful or a dozen of other people's experiences, either. It may not have been the wheat, but it may have. You'll have to experiment to find out (if you want to experiment. If you want to continue to be grain-free that's a legitimate choice too. All of the nutrients in grains can be found in other foods).

I strongly agree that a food journal is your best bet. I would never have found my wheat issues without a food journal.

Firstly, because many of the symptoms weren't immediate, they'd occur two to threes days later. As a result, I never made the connection between wheat on Sunday, to feeling ill and skin issues on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Secondly, I didn't go without wheat long enough to realize that some of my chronic symptoms were wheat-induced (wheat is hidden in a lot of products, even low-carb products). I thought I had sensitive skin, acne, oily skin, and rosacea. When they first started clearing up during low-carb, I didn't even immediately think the carbs were to blame (let alone wheat), I just thought maybe that I was "lucky." I'd never noticed this with prior low-carb because skin issues takes weeks to clear up, and I'd never been off wheat long enough to experience the skin clearing.

Thirdly, and finally - the longer I was off wheat, the worse and more immediate the symptoms became (and just generally more noticeable - of course I also started knowing what to look for). They're now so bad, that my husband can tell if I've eaten wheat after only 6 to 12 hours. Pimples and spider veins pop out, and I get a reoccurence of the rosacea and if I don't add steroid cream right away, the seb derm reoccurs (at it's worst, my husband calls it "face rot" and that's pretty accurate description. I get swollen, weepy and crusty impetigo-like sores on my face. It's gruesome, Luckily with steroids it doesn't ever reach that state.

Wheat allergies and celiac disease, and milder celiac can cause a wide array of symptoms, of varying severity. Some people only ever get mild reactions. Some people get a lot of symptoms of wide-ranging severity. Some people only ever get life-threatening reactions.

If you keep a food and health journal, you'll start to see patterns. You might want to make a list of things you want to document in your journal. I'd suggest looking inside the books HealthMinder and DietMinder on amazon.com using the "look inside" feature.

HEALTHMINDER Personal Wellness Journal (a.k.a MemoryMinder Personal Health Journal) Health Diary and Symptoms Log by F. E. Wilkins

The MemoryMinder is an older edition of the book.

While there's a section for food/meals/calories every day, it's pretty small.

DietMinder Personal Food & Fitness Journal (A Food and Exercise Diary) by F. E. Wilkins
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #9  

Thanks ladies, I'm sticking to plan very closely since that incident. Nothing like feeling crappy to make you watch what you eat. Now I'm afraid of wheat and corn so they aren't a temptation for me. I don't think that's a bad thing as I've lost another 1.5 lbs. Maybe fear is the best diet drug. I didn't eat almonds until two years ago, because I thought I was allergic to them. Thank god I'm not. I went my entire childhood and a good portion of my young adulthood avoiding M&M's because I thought they all had peanuts. There are plenty of other things in my diet to keep me satisfied without the wheat and corn, so I'll live without it.