Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default M-M-M-M-March! Spring is almost here.

I thought I would honour the Oscar-bestowed King's Speech (which I yet have to see). Gotta love Colin Firth!

Shannon, I think you deserve a break. I have to check out the workout on stumptuous.
Lydia, I forgot to mention that I did check out the Tshirt and I like it (and most of the rest of them on that website) but I have become spoiled and I want only V-necks. For some reason, I feel "choked" if the T goes high up on my neck.
Oh, and by the way, what colours are you painting? We want names!

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't been to a movie theater in a couple years and I didn't see the Oscars

I'm battling my sinuses. They have been winning but I've brought in reinforcements. I am going to try my best to go to Crossfit today. I have a natural nasal spray that helps clear out the sinuses. Plus I did a good neti pot irrigation this morning along with taking my various drugs. I've never had sinus issues, not sure why they decided to start being unhappy. stupid sinuses.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #3  
Let's salsa!

Sorry to hear, nelie. I thought you were long cured. I was going to suggest the neti pot (as much as I hate it) but I know it works. But then I read on that you are on it. I think you are doing all you, sometimes it just takes time to get rid of colds.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Alena: You started our new month! I have yet to see the movie too. I'm so removed from pop culture. I wouldn't have even known that its Oscars week if it wouldn't have been for some of the Facebook postings of my friends who follow such things.

Paint colors? You bet. Laura Ashley Gold2 on the walls in the basement. The color is available through Lowes. I'm using a lighter version of it on the ceilings. On the walls of the main floor will be Laura Ashley Gold 3 with a red wall for accent next to the fireplace. (The fireplace is tiled off white with gold brown veins of color throughout) I'm also painting the foyer the same shade red. Honestly, it's the same colors I had in my previous house in Columbus. Loved it there, want it here. Simple.

I can't stand to have a collar around my neck either. I find that shirts made specifically for women are sometimes better...sometimes...But yes, I'm a V Neck fan too. Besides, we work hard for those pecs and collarbones right?

Nelie: This cold is really hanging on! Hope things are clearing up for you soon. How did the CrossFit session go today?

Legs done today. So wonderful not to be fighting or working around tendon pain in the quad. Woot. I've cut back on weight from 45 to 30 on step ups and split squats with the goal of slowly increasing over the next four to six weeks.

Pullup, overhead presses, pushups, rows, cardio and yoga on tap for tomorrow.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Alena, thanks for starting the new month. I read your post about cooking shows, Texans, etc. Most Texans, excluding the few vegatarians, really get a yen for bar-b-que and Toronto just doesn't have Texas style. They have some really good Korean and St. Louis style, but not Texas mesquite. And, Texas doesn't have real poutine either

Nelie, sorry to hear your sinuses are acting up. Misery!

Lydia, let us know how the cutting back, then increasing weight goes. Good to hear that your quads are healing.

I did squats with 40 pounds yesterday. Whew! My split squat to row is getting better. I'm finally getting that form under control.

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #6  

nelie,

Sounds like you have several ways of dealing with your sinuses. But in case you are looking for another - WASABI!

I discovered this by accident when overloading my California maki with wasabi. My sister has used it since then. And I've even heard one doctor suggest it recently.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm still around, just been doing some serious slacking since I got back from Hawaii. I meant to get right back into exercise when we got home, then it was cold, and it snowed, and I was whining, yada, yada. I probably made it once a week. NOT ENOUGH!

Here to tell you that I'll be at the gym or the pool tomorrow without fail!

Didn't watch the oscars, haven't seen any of the movies (but I want to see the King's Speech - if only for Colin Firth )
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #8  
Just Me

Oh wasabi, what a good idea!!!

I went to Crossfit last night, did the warm up but couldn't catch my breath! I started to feel dizzy and couldn't breathe before the workout started so I sat it out. I guess I wanted to be ready but I wasn't.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #9  
Mel

Alena- Thanks for starting the thread. I've been exhausted and haven't posted anywhere.

Nelie- You've been sick for a long time. Time for a doc?

Rhonda- good job on the new routine! I'm still having a hard time picturing the squat to row.

Lydia- I have to admit that I mostly painted this house the same colors as the last house. It felt like HOME! I'm gradually changing my color palette as I repaint ( I'm liking RED and less in love with green. My new favorite is a really southwesty salmon.

I'm exhausted- skipped Crossfit and cardio yesterday! I did 390 push ups between Friday's WOD and Monday's WOD and think that was about 150 too many. I've a strain rather than a sore pec minor, and my elbow tendinitis is becoming debilitating. I leave tomorrow for Skiing in Breckenridge, so I'm resting. For two days. I think some of my micro-tears might me more macro tears.

It's beginning to look springish here- but I know we usually get a wicked March snowstorm that flattens the foolish daffodils so I'm trying not to get too excited or put away the snow blower and shovels.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #10  
Just Me

Mel - I went to the doc last week. I will probably go again tomorrow. I'm almost done with the antibiotics and some things have improved but other things, not so much.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Nelie: Oh watching the WOD must have been totally frustrating. Sigh. Feel for you. Well, I guess you just got an unplanned rest.

Mel: Have a great time on your ski trip. Sounds like the timing of this is good too. An opportunity to heal a little bit from those pushups. Maybe a bit of "active rest" perhaps.

Glad to know I'm not silly for using the same colors in my new home. It does feel like home. The day that the color went up in the basement I felt giddy. It's been a week, maybe two since I've finished the family room downstairs and my DS1 told me last night how much better HE likes it. It's really more like a happy yellow color than gold.

Had a rushed workout this morning but it's fine. That's kind of the problem with wanting to take a class in the middle of your workout. I decided to just switch gears, consider it a active rest kind of workout and then go back to hit it hard on Friday. (Painting tomorrow)

Rhonda: Nice weight with the squats! My goal right now is more endurance than strength so I'm lighten the load a little bit. I've gotten into the habit of "thinking" I can only get 6-8 reps in per set before conking out. Reality is I should be able to do a little more. Obviously when I'm lifting a heavier weight, 6-8 is fine. But now even when I go lighter with the intention of doing 10-12 I'm mentally fatiguing at 8. Yeah. That's gotta stop. Need to work a little more on endurance again.

K. Off to explore this backyard and all of the daffodills that are popping up. I had lunch with the deer yesterday but it appears they had better thing to do today.

Make it a great one everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #12  
Let's salsa!

Lydia,
Your colours are lovely - I know both Gold2 and Gold3 and I like them.
I have been on a colour rampage since last summer. Not sure if I mentioned it here but I painted a large wall (the wall running from my LR to my DR) bright green and then I just kept adding pops of colour all over the place. A friend of mine says I have orange spots on my retina. So my house looks like an exotic parrot right now, but I love painting and it's not a big deal to change it.

I did not swim today as on Monday I did have to change my workout to accommodate my tired arms and shoulders. I am heading to the gym in the evening.

Nelie -
why didn't I think of it before? Another option is horseradish. THat should clear your sinuses instantly. My favourite salad is finely grated 1/2 of a carrot, 1/2 of a (tart) apple with some grated horseradish mixed in. Dressing: water with lemon or lime juice and a bit of agave extract as sweetener (just enough dressing to make the salad moist. It's a megadose of vitamin C.

Mel,
enjoy the skiing trip. LIke you, I am hoping spring will make it up here soon. My dogs have a cabin fever.

Rhonda,
I am thinking of a mesquite barbecue while I am eating my veggie salad with flaked tuna. :drool

Alena
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Rhonda and Alena - now I want barbeque instead of my chicken salad for lunch. Phooey.

Nelie - sorry that you aren't feeling well!

Lydia - I would se the same colors from house to house, too. I'm also familiar with your colors and they are fabulous.

Mel - enjoy your ski trip! And I think resting the 'macro tears' was a very good idea.

I didn't rest yesterday after all, hit the treadmill Monday night and then did my weights yesterday afternoon before the opera. I'm giving serious consideration to a rest day today and then hitting double duty tomorrow with weights in the AM and a run at the park after work. We'll see. It might rain tomorrow, so I may have to hit it today to get the sunshine.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Lydia, I know the mental fatigue at 8! I wondered if counting backwards would help

I'm enjoying the talk about colors. I have not repainted this house we bought last year because the colors are neutral enough. But, if I were going to paint, I'd use the colors from the last house also. I'd like a nice red for the dining area, any suggestions?

Speaking of colors, my last kitchen was deliberately painted to look like a Mexican cantina. There were parrot green base cabinets, cobalt blue tile, and a chili pepper red wall! Ole!

I've looked for a video of split squat to row and can't find one, so I'll try to explain. Stand facing a cable stand (can't think of what to call them), bend down on one knee. With the hand on the same side of the body reach out and pull a cable out toward you, with a pistol grip. Now, stand up on the bent leg and pull the cable handle in closer toward your body.

is that clear?
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #15  
Mel

Got it! Thanks, Rhonda

I think I'm packed. and unpacked. and packed again.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote