Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #136  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

good....on the sweet potato oatmeal...you can make the oatmeal of your choice...sometimes i make regular slow cooking oats, but this week i am using the instant...i don't like it as well, but i had 2 dollar off coupons on 1 box, and the sale was buy one box get one free, so i got 4 boxes of instant oatmeal for free!!! plus overage!! haha so i have been eating instant oatmeal lately. anyway...i have the maple brown sugar, and all i did was add 1/4 of a sweet potato and mash it up into the oatmeal and add 5 grams chopped pecans. which is about 4-5 halves. it was delicious! i added a few stevia drops...for some sweetness. i try to eat something everyday from the top 30 healthiest foods and oatmeal and sweet potato are both on that list!! wooppie!!

i love oatmeal!! but never really ate anything "IN" my oatmeal, except, well oatmeal and sugar and a little cream!! I i dont eat white sugar anymore) with hubby still out of work, and on a 35 dollar a week grocery budget, oatmeal fits the bill in many ways! haha so i stumbled on this web site...kath eats real foods....and omg....she had this tribute to oatmeal...she makes the best looking oatmeal bowls i ever saw!!! i started eating the almond butter in the oats...one large spoonful, on my gym days...i sort of scoop the oatmeal on top of the almond butter on the spoon, and eat a little almond butter with every bite of oatmeal...sorta like those little chocolate coated spoons you get at the coffee cafe...the almond butter sticks to the spoon for the whole bowl!!

check out her ode to oatmeal here:

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

you will never look at oatmeal the same!!

WHO KNEW???

on the misto...what i did was pump it up...til it had a fully loaded pump....then i sprayed it until the pump feel ran out....and it won't spray again until u pump it again...i sprayed it into the measuring spoon and it was less than 1/2 tsp for a full long spray. i can easily "fry" an egg in my non-stick pan with just one long spray and it never sticks.

way to go on your counting days to make your habit routine!!

also...this morning i had cottage cheese sweet potato pecan pancakes!! OHMYJOLLYGOODNESS they were goood!!

Sweet potatoes were only .29 a pound so i bought 20 potatoes for a few bucks! so as u can see i tend to eat whats on sale hahahaa

hugs
susan

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 01-30-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #137  
Feed Your Freedom

omjollygoodness....another creation with cottage cheese

COTTAGE CHEESE SWEET POTATO PECAN PANCAKES!!!
1 egg
1 egg white
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp organic oat flour
2 TBSP 2% milk
15 drops stevia drops (or u can use 1 tbsp sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cottage cheese (i used large curd regular)
1/2 baked sweet potato skined

in med, bowl, combine egg and egg white...beat well. add milk, stevia drops and vanilla and blend. add flour and mix until blended. the batter will be lumpy do not overmix. add the cottage cheese, and the sweet potato and mash together, will be lumpy. add the pecans. cook in hot pan until set on each side, about 2 mins a side.
makes 5 pancakes...about 5" ones...so 2 pancakes is good for a breakfast!! i eat 2 and hubby eats 3!!!
per 1 pancake=
calories 123.2
fat 4.5
carbs 13.1
fiber 2
sugar 2.9
protein 6.1

this is what they looked like in the pan

in the pan by sandwriter77, on Flickr

the finished dish!! yummmmy!!!

cottage cheese sweet potato pecan pancakes by sandwriter77, on Flickr

what they look like on the inside

inside by sandwriter77, on Flickr
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #138  
Feed Your Freedom

SUNDAY 1/30/2011

B: Cottage Cheese Sweet Potato Pecan Pancakes with 1 TBSP Maple Syrup, 2 pcs Bacon, Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream
ML: 3 Water Crackers with Laughing Cow Pimento Cheese, 7 Bing Cherries
4 Strips Orange Bell Pepper, Orange Pekot Tea
L: Roast Turkey & Vermont White Cheddar sammie on
Pumpernickle Raisin Roll, 7 Grape Tomatoes, 1 tbsp Honey Nut Cream Cheese, 1/2 Cup diced Watermelon, Ice Water
AL: Pizzelle Ice Cream Sammie with Chocolate Gelato and Nutella
and Almond Butter, Orange Tea
S: White Wine Chicken Alfredo Pizza, Ice Water
totals: 1560.4 calories
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

Rainbow, you've inspired my culinary health quest!

For my sweet tooth hubby who is taking this journey with me I made a brown rice pudding tonight!! It was SO sweet and yummers and when saved for my nighttime snack...totally satisfying! I measured the rice and the milk but the rest I did to taste. (He likes sweet so I used a healthy dose of Splenda) Oh, and I used a lot of cinny too!

approx. 3/4 cup instant brown rice
1 cup milk
vanilla
sweetener
cinnamon

(Ooops, I also added .5tsp of Splenda brown sugar...but it wasn't really necessary.)

I slow simmered until milk had been absorbed. Hubby ate his warm, I put mine in the fridge and enjoyed cold later this evening.

LOVED the taste, this makes two servings but next time I will make a bigger batch (even the kids liked it and wanted some...but tough! I didn't share! Hee hee) and I think I will try giving it a whirly in the blender to cream it up a bit more. But regardless, delish!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #140  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki100 View Post
Rainbow, you've inspired my culinary health quest!

For my sweet tooth hubby who is taking this journey with me I made a brown rice pudding tonight!! It was SO sweet and yummers and when saved for my nighttime snack...totally satisfying! I measured the rice and the milk but the rest I did to taste. (He likes sweet so I used a healthy dose of Splenda) Oh, and I used a lot of cinny too!

approx. 3/4 cup instant brown rice
1 cup milk
vanilla
sweetener
cinnamon

(Ooops, I also added .5tsp of Splenda brown sugar...but it wasn't really necessary.)

I slow simmered until milk had been absorbed. Hubby ate his warm, I put mine in the fridge and enjoyed cold later this evening.

LOVED the taste, this makes two servings but next time I will make a bigger batch (even the kids liked it and wanted some...but tough! I didn't share! Hee hee) and I think I will try giving it a whirly in the blender to cream it up a bit more. But regardless, delish!
ooooyummmmm i can't wait to try this!!
thanks so much for sharing!!! i love trying new recipes!! especially ones i can afford!! hahaha
i am with you...no sharing...
one day last week...i made my meal....it was the white wine chicken pizza...i had asked hubby if he wanted one, and he was like...ummm, ew.... no....so i made mine...and then while we were eating, he was all like, wow, that looks pretty good!! and i just smiled and said, omg..it is!! and kept on eating!! hahahaha

this week...i made it again...and he said, would it be too much trouble to make me one?? heehee i just love it!! hubby eating healthy!! woohoo!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 01-30-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 326.2/316/160 Back 5-2013

Height: 5'7"

How lots going on here this weekend. Love all the recipes. I think I need to try one of those misto's. They sound pretty cool. You all are doing so good trying new things. I haven't tried any from here yet but I did make a new Crockpot Oatmeal this weekend. I don't remember where I found the recipe but it may have been from one of the blogs you referenced, Rainbowsmiles. It is:
3 cups Steel Cuts Oats
10 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
a pinch of salt
1lb frozen peaches (or any fruit you want)

You just put it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. I put it all together Saturday night at 10pm and we ate it at 8am Sunday. It makes 12- 1 cup servings and is 4 points. I added some sweetner to it otherwise it is really bland but a little sweetner and it was good to go. Now I have breakfast in individual servings for the week already ready!

I lost 1.8 pounds this week. YEAH! I have 5 more to go to make my Valentines Day goal. I spent 2 hours at the park with my daughter on Saturday (It was 75 degrees and gorgeous). Sunday we went and walked around the zoo for 2.5 hours (It was 65 and perfect). Tonight we get sleet and high Tuesday and Wednesday will be 25-30. That is cold for us in the south.
So here's to another good week. Enjoy your new meals.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #142  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/progress/life

Awesome loss tw. That oatmeal sounds great.
I am tempted to make the pancakes even though I swore off pancake making about a month ago...mine all turn out tasting like crap. I'll see!

Sunday:
B:fruit smoothie made with light soy milk instead of almond (3PP)Breakfast sandwich (6 PP)
L:Oatmeal cookie (4PP) 1 slice of pepperoni and onion pizza (~12PP) cottage cheese and pineapple (5PP)
Grapes, raw carrots, yogurt (4PP), 2 Dove Promises (2PP), popcorn (4PP)

Today, so far:
B:Iced coffee (6) PB toast with 1t honey and 1 T toasted rye flakes (7) banana
L: 2 slices of swiss cheese (3) chicken fajita bowl (5)
Going out for Thai with my niece tonight..pretty sure I'll be using most of my weekly PP tonight ;-)

I'm stoked that using light soy gives me more protein and fewer PPs but it just isn't as sweet, and I have taught my tastebuds to like sweet. Do you think I can re-train them? Maybe if I add a little honey it will make it perfect and raw honey has health benefits...or so I have heard!
New bedtime routine...4/21!!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #143  
Feed Your Freedom

MONDAY 1/31/2011
B: Banana Cream Oatmeal, 1 small Banana, 1 TBSP Almond Butter, Coffee
ML: 2 strips Bacon
L: 1 Cup Tomato Basil Bisque, 3 Cheese Flat Breads spread with 1 TBSP
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus mixed with 1 Laughting Cow Cheese, topped with
3 oz. carvery board turkey, and 2 orange bell pepper strips, ice water, green tea
AL: Green Tea, 1 European Chocolate Coin, 1 pc Peppermint Bark
S: 4 oz. Roast Beef,1/2 cup Mashed Potatoes, 3/4 cups carrots, Strawberries and Sweet Cherries in a Belgium Chocolate Cup, with
Honey Nut Cream Cheese Fruit Sauce YUM, Ice Water
totals: 1560.0 calories

TUESDAY 2/01/2011
B: Scrambled Eggs (1 whole egg plus 2 whites), 2 pcs bacon,
warmed mandarin oranges, coffee
ML: Green Tea
L: Cottage Cheese Chicken Salad, 3 Cheese FlatBreads, 1 cup
Watermelon, Ice Water
AL: Tapioca Pudding, 2 Cheese FlatBreads with 1 Laughing Cow Wedge
Green Tea
S: 2 Cups Ham & White Bean Soup, Roast Beef sammie on
Pumpernickle Roll with 2 oz Carvery Roast Beef,
1 oz White Vermont Cheddar Cheese, Cream Tea
totals: 1676.0 calories

WEDNESDAY 2/2/2011

B: Banana Cream Oatmeal, 1 small Banana, 1 TBSP Almond Butter, Coffee
ML: 5 Almonds, 1/2 Digestive Biscuit
L: Cottage Cheese Potato Salad, 2 oz Roast Beef Sammie, on Thin White (2 pcs)
1 oz Cracker Barrel White VErmont Cheddar Cheese, 1 Cup Sweet Butter Lettuce,
7 Grape Tomatoes, Ice Water
AL: Green Tea
S: 1 Cup Ham & White Bean Soup, 2 Cheese FlatBreads, Ice Water
totals: 1138.0 calories
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #144  
Feed Your Freedom

GOOD....do you make your own iced coffee??? if so how do you make it?? i love cold coffee but frappachino is so expensive and too many calories.
thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #145  
Feed Your Freedom

tw....soooooooo uBer excited for you to reach your V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E-S D-A-Y GOAL! wooohoooooooooo YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #146  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/progress/life

Follow me over to the February goals thread and let us know what your monthly goals are!

See you there,
M

Last edited by goodnuff; 02-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Closed Thread