Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300.6/290.6/???

Height: 5'5"

Default If you could only have one flavor of SF syrup...

What would it be? DH and I are going to start low carbing soon, but money is pretty tight right now, and we'll have to build our pantry of low carb substitutes slowly. I don't want to go overboard on fake sweets b/c I know those still are a big temptation to overeat, but I also know that using them judiciously will help us feel less deprived. For now, I just want to buy one - the one I'll get the most use out of. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
Irish Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

For me it depends on what I am mixing it with... For coffee, hands down I would go with caramel. I think the sugar free caramel tastes the best, and additionally the closest to the real thing. But raspberry would be a close second for pretty much everything else. Never tried it in coffee though.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd have to choose Torani sugar free almond. I love the raspberry and lime too.

They're expensive enough that I don't have portion control issues, so I'm actually planning on buying one every payday, so I can have an assortment.

I use them not only in coffees and cocoa's, but also to make italian sodas and snow cones (I LOVE my Hawaiian ice electric ice shaver).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #4  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I like the Torani SF vanilla. It goes in everything, coffee, low carb desserts. I would love to try the almond. I have tried hazelnut and I wasn't really impressed.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I bought a Torani assortment. It came with vanilla, chocolate, caramel, irish cream, hazelnut and raspberry. The ones that get the most use are the vanilla (by far the most), caramel, and chocolate. Raspberry is good when added to a splash of water. I would say vanilla or caramel purely for their diversity, but if you want a more fruity taste go with raspberry. If you like chocolate (I've never been a huge fan) then go with the chocolate.

Last edited by Linsy; 01-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Flavoring extracts and your own sweetener are a lot cheaper than the syrups, you just have to be a little more careful about how much you put in (an eyedropper would actually come in handy).

As much as I liked the Torani almond, it wasn't any better than when I used my own Splenda and almond extract. The Torani was more convenient, but the almond extract was much cheaper, and just as good.

Extracts come in a lot of flavors, and are cheaper, because they're more concentrated than the syrup. I've also used candy oils - but those are even more concentrated, so much so that barely touching a toothpick into the oil was enough flavor for a can of soda, or a large mug of coffee or diet hot cocoa.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote