Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

Question Anyone got a good pizza crust recipe?

Hi everyone

I've only this week decided to become a Vegan, mainly for health reasons but the more and more you read about being Vegan I realise how badly animals are treated for meat and so am happy to be helping out in that way too.

The reason i'm here is wondering if anyone has a really good wholewheat pizza crust recipe.I'm trying to follow the Engine 2 diet at the moment in principle, so i'm looking for wholewheat, minimal sugar and oil.

The only real place i've found for Vegan recipes online is Vegweb, but looking into them more closely most are loaded with sugar,fat and oil.

Can anyone help me out with a healthy pizza base?
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #2  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

I've tried whole wheat pizza dough recipes, and have never been happy with the results.

I use the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook. It is vegan, but uses white flour. I have successfully subbed in whole wheat for part of it though, maybe 1 cup out of four.

Is yeast considered a vegan ingredient?

I posted the ATK recipe in the comments section of my photo on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrlscout224/4489755463/

I've used another recipe that uses whey too, and it was pretty good. But not as good as the ATK recipe. Here's that one:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...s-pizza-2.html
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

Thanks very much grrlscout, I was beginning to think Vegan's never ate pizza or something?

I'm going to try that Americas test kitchen recipe, have you ever tried it with totally wholemeal flour?

Had to google the ingredient EVOO though? Don't think we have Rachel Ray in england and i've never heard of that term.

Thanks again for the recipe, your photo looked yummy
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #4  
CHEEZBURGER!

S/C/G: 149/147/135

Height: 5'3"

No problem!

I have not tried it with wholemeal flour. I did notice the more whole wheat I put in it, the more cardboard-like the texture got.

Sorry about that! I often forget how wonderfully international this forum is.

And you're lucky not to have Rachel Ray. Bless her for encouraging the home cook, but gracious, she gets on my nerves. I do like her EVOO acronym though -- much easier than typing "extra virgin olive oil" all the time.

BTW, I also discovered last night that the leftover dough makes a fine pasty / calzone type device:

I used vegetarian, but not vegan ingredients for the filling: olives, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, swiss chard, onions, pickled peppers, goat cheese, and mozzarella.
grrlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I like this one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-si...st/detail.aspx

and I just use a mix of whole wheat and white for the 3 1/3 cup flour called for.

I haven't made it in a while, so I'd suggest starting with 1 cup whole wheat flour. Don't go ALL whole wheat or it may be too dense.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote