Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #1  

Smile 300+ And Ready To Try Again #1030

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #2  

sandybar - I bought a box of frozen "Highliner Brand Garlic and Butter Salmon Fillets". They have no skin, and no bone, and are only 140 calories per piece. The box contained 5 pieces and cost me $13. All I did to cook them was pop them on a baking sheet that I covered in aluminum foil! 20 minutes later...PERFECT fish!! No flipping it over, nothing...just did my other cooking in the 20 minutes and it was perfectly done in the time it said on the box! And it didn't have that weird "fishy" taste - LOL, sounds stupid I know, but I think most people get the point.

Hi Ladies....All I have to say is +2?!?!?!?! Can I scream now?!?!?! It's been like 6 weeks...I've been great this last while..what's going on? Anyways, I gotta run...just wanted to drop in and let you all know that I'm hating my scale right now. I will check again tomorrow morning though since I woke up late and it wasn't my normal time...don't think it will matter but I will check anyways. Later chickies!

Melissa
Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

Greetings all,

Melissa, I would be frustrated as well! Do you think the fish had a lot of sodium, thus explaining the weight gain? What a bummer, though. I forget...do you track your calories? Would this be something that might help?

Nancy, when I am stressed, my back hurts more. Maybe your back pain is from work stress you are suffering from? Just a thought...

Well, I'm not having a good day. I'm pretty sure I mentioned on here that I've been ill with nausea and "the runs" since Sept. 13. I went for some tests, which came back inconclusive, however, the doc thinks I may have E. Coli and put me on some antibiotics. So, almost 4 weeks have gone by and I'm still in incredible discomfort. In fact, things are so bad that I can't really eat anything at all without immediate pain. I feel like someone beat me up with a bat, and bending, laughing, moving are all extremely painful.

I keep hoping this antibiotic helps soon. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to exercise while on this medicine, so there go my minutes for the month. Oh well...what was that quote that was recently posted? Something about not mistaking set-backs as an excuse to quit...
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 303.5/see ticker/153.5

Height: 5'5"

Melissa - Have you tried increasing the amount of water you drink each day even more? I would be just as frustrated as you are if I plateaued for that long and then went up after being totally OP.

Jen - I hope you get things cleared up soon. With all this in the news about E. Coli, I wouldn't want to mess around with it. Hopefully, it's just some random virus and doesn't get any worse before it gets better. My mothr has colitis and I completely understand having the "runs" all the time. I can definitely tell I'm her daughter. I have my moments as well, but it's miserable.

I did two hours of water aerobics last night and I'm not sore today. I just got home from weighing in and I lost 1 pound in the last 4 days. I was hoping for more. My total now is 18. Unless something miraculous happens between now and Halloween, I doubt I'll make my Halloween Goal, but that's alright. At least there was a difference on the scale today. Hope everyone is doing well. It's cold and raining here and I'm not excited about it. It's supposed to snow sometime this weekend. Grrr. . . not ready for that yet. Hope everyone has an awesome evening!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #5  

HEllo all!
Got so much going on it's hard to find a minute to check in.

My transportation problem last month has snowballed and I'm really in some trouble this month. My budget just doesn't allow for any emergencies, so when one happens- oh boy! But it will all work out some how, so I'm tryign to keep things calm.

Loaded (and unloaded) a truck full of firewood today and man, is that a workout!
I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow, but it's good for me. Also got in about 3/4 of my walk today, because I was running out of time. Better most than nothing, I figure.

The RenFest was fantastic! I had never been, but will definitely go back next year. If there's one near you, I highly recommend it.

Now- here's the big news GEORGE CLOONEY WAS IN OUR TOWN YESTERDAY!!!
*ehem* Yes, he was here scouting locations for a new movie. People were so excited. He was spotted at a restaurant across the street from our office. So Clooney-mania has struck!

Hope everybody has a great evening!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies...Hmm..I don't know about the sodium in 4oz of salmon...I guess I will know if it's water weight or not when I re-check my weight tomorrow morning. I was suggested that with me walking 60ish minutes everyday to maybe try more like 2200 calories rather than 2000....comments? I used to track my food and found it was kinda bumming me out so I stopped and loved not writing it down...but I think I need to try it again and see how it goes, even to just get some perspective for a little while. Well...I weigh-in at 10:30am tomorrow...so you all will hear from me around 10:31am! LOL! Got in 45 minute walk today. And I had a healthly lunch...a 490 calorie 6" Ham Sub from Subway...seems OP to me! Oh, and of course I'm having my can of Nestea Zero...my lifeline, lol! Zero calories, next to no sodium, no fat, tastes like perfection, what more can I ask for?!
Later chickies - stay OP!

Melissa
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 269+/266.2/190

Height: 5ft 2inches

Just checking in to say i am enjoying reading everyones post, though I am sorry about the set backs and stubbling blocks many of you are expereincing.

Not anything much to report. I lost two pounds from last week but i had gone up the week before so i start this month the same as where I started week two of last month. Glad I did not gain more than i lost but disapointed and determinded to do better. This month I am working on drinking more water (at least 8 glasses a day), exersizing (at least three times a week) and limiting eating out (less than three times a week down from more than five times between lunch at work and dinner out). I struggle with the eating out because i live alone, hate washing dishes, and am struggling with portion size. even with all of that i know that this is something I have to master becasue i do not have the money to eat out all the time or I have seen the pounds slip on as eating out has increased. I some time cook for the week over the week end and this works if i am organized and freeze portions. If i do not freeze things i end up eating it all in a few days!

i will let you know how it goes...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #8  

Yes it's me..AGAIN! For the record here's the info on the salmon. "Highliner Brand Roasted Garlic and Herb Salmon Fillets" (I made a mistake before it's herb not butter.) For each 142g piece (5oz): Calories - 140, Fat - 4g, Sodium - 590g (25%), Carbs - 3g, Fibre - 1g, Sugar - 1g, and Protein - 24g. The box says it's "Wild Pacific Salmon - Pink".
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #9  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

MELISSA - Hun Im sorry the scales are bein so nasty ... but dont let it get you down too much .. Im sure that you are noticing so many more positives about your new regime than what that little rectangular box of stress is tellin you. Your exercising is just fantastic!! What food plan are you on by the way?? Hopefully now that the scales are actually moving next week will see a big drop

LAVANDEL - OMG .. know exactly what you mean about rude comments!! I went out one Halloween about umm .. wow .. almost 10 years ago (and I wasnt even at my biggest!) with a bunch of friends .. we were all dressed up (lived in the capital at the time) and going from pub to pub. At about halfway thru the night some guy in a pub made a rude comment about my size .. I had to act like I didnt hear it cos I didnt want to ruin everyones night .. but one of my friends heard and she hit the roof ... I did try to calm her down cos I didnt want any more attention bought to the comment .. but she was a bit of a rocket and I couldnt hold her back rofl. When she asked me later if it hurt I said of course it did .. I know there is a lot of me but it aint thick skin! So she said why didnt I react then .. easy .. I havent heard names like that since primary school .. with a mentality like that it wasnt worth the reaction ... he obviously had a child mentality ... and even that is insulting to a lot of kids. lol ... I applaud you for your comments As for that dork that made the comment while you were on the walk ... those sorts of ppl are just sad little minds .. sorry that he affected your walk .. hope you wont let that stop you having a fun walk in the future tho
As for the "larger ppl eat too much which is why they are the size they are" .. BOLLOCKS! I dont eat much at all ... but I do know that to get to my size the little that I ate wasnt good eating lol .. definitely hate it when I see these little skinny ppl pig out and not gain an ounce but I just need to look at what is on their plate and I gain a pound lol ..
Oh and GREAT getting into TwoTown!! Even a little toe in is a great thing lol. I found when I got into it that it gave me that little bit more of a nudge And excellent on being so caught up in the exercise you lost track of the time lol .. that is just FANTASTIC!

SHARON - Great work on your exercise and glad to hear you are feeling better Did I miss the post for the bran thingys?? I will have to go back and find it ... Scoot was commenting the other day that he is happy I make such a lot of use of the rotisserie machine we got cos all my other kitchen gadgets are gathering dust including my new mixer .. I said I cant bake anything Im allowed to eat!! (reallllllly miss baking!!!) So Im gonna have to start finding some low cal cakes and cookies or slices I can make using my mixer lol.

AMMI - Wtg on another loss!! Wow .. you are just fading away lol .. I dont know if Im gonna have that luck this week .. I think Im reaching that first plateau .. grrrr ... but Im still feeling healthier so will just focus on that

MICHELLE - Great to hear the doc has given you the all clear .. just take baby steps tho .. better to be able to do 5 minutes a day as a start than not be able to do anything at all because of taking too big a step at the start Hope your weather improves .. we have recently had a freaky cold storm come thru the last couple of days and unfortunately in the south island a lot of the newborn lambs were lost as it even snowed!! We had bad wind and cold temps and a bit of hail .. but otherwise we were ok where i am ... but every hour the weather was different .. and it really fouled up my mood ... I dont know if it affects others like this .. but when the weather is really unsettled so am I .. grrr ... Today is lovely tho ...

BRENDA - Hiya hun .. hopefully the migraine will be over and done with by now ... so you get that reaction because you have cut a lot of that food out of your regular diet?? Or is there something that always triggers them that you eat? Huggies

AMANDA - Great to hear your plans .. I hope you do well with them but dont beat yourself up if something happens and you miss a night or something. I set myself 4 days a week minimum this month exercising with Richard (dvd) .. last month it was 3 times ... so Im hoping next month I can do 5 The only exercise I actually count is the dvds that I do .. and occasionally walking will get added in if its a general walk to exercise rather than just shopping or whatever Just remember .. movement is the key Huggies

NANCY - Sorry to hear about your funk .. it could be all the crap that has been going on with you lately? Maybe you need to take a step back and focus on YOU rather than those around you. Do what is best for you personally rather than for those around you as most times that just goes out the window cos you cant control how they use it or whatever. Its not selfish ... everyone needs "ME" time .. if not every week then at least every fortnight. You need to pamper yourself and remind yourself how special you are, even if its getting a few girlfriends over (kicking out the men lol) and having one of those sleepovers like you would of had as a teen .. but this time get out the creams and masks, rollers and funny movies... there is nothing wrong with going back in time ... sometimes as adults we get so caught up in the stresses of work, relationships and the rest of the world we forget how to have fun like we did as kids. Big Huggies

LUAN - Glad to hear that you have reached that point of cut off in regards to the boy (now doesnt that moniker say a lot .. boy .. not man!?) ... and fantastic about goin to Disneyland .. I got the chance to go for a day in 2004 lol .. didnt think I would enjoy it cos I dont go on rides ... but omg .. I went on a bunch of rides and it was fantastic!! My hunny and I have decided that our holiday that we are gonna aim for is gonna be to Hawaii and I want another stop in LA lol .. want to go back to Disneyland for more than a day lol .. (also want to see if I can go to the Richard Simmons gym in Bev Hills). So proud of you hun

SANDY - Post some piccys of the wedding .. although I dont believe in marriage for myself I love to see wedding pics rofl ... your grandson sounds like a ball of mischief lol .. and good on your for staying OP too .. grr about the scales .. but at least they didnt go up!

AMY - Sorry to hear about the docs visit not being a little more ummm .. worthwhile lol .. thats the main reason I dont go lol .. so many times its just logic or something lol.
LOVE your new apartment (possible) ... it looks like a wonderful place and Im sure you will love it (will keep fingers crossed for you that you get it!)
I know what you mean about Zelmas message .. a lot of the things I didnt think about consciously .. but when I stopped to think about them those thoughts were there ,.. just deeper down .. and while I have confidence with a lot of things .. my body image isnt one of them lol .. too many years of critical comments I suppose .. it does then to wear one down... but Im looking forward to that changing as this journey goes on
Sorry to hear about your cat ... I understand your angst about having to leave him and wanting him to be in the best environment. Hopefully that will work out better.
Definitely prefer weigh ins on Friday lol .. it gives me a chance to work off whatever I may have done on the weekend (not that I have had a off plan weekend yet .. but never say never lol). I think Im approaching my first plateau tho .. which I will be coming in here and reading past posts to remind me to keep goin lol.

KIM - I hope that you enjoyed every mouthful of that naughty food you had otherwise it really was a waste of a treat lol ... it sure sounded yummy Good luck with your weigh in .. you are going great with your exercises and I hope your sore parts get better soon too

VALERIE - Oops about your indulge and going over your cals lol .. I know what you mean! I have gone over the 2000 once ... but only by 70 .. . other than that I am almost making it to 1800 each day ... but yesterday I didnt even get to 1500 ... and I ate HEAPS! I even had a couple of treats lol ... oh well ... tomorrow is always another day (so far so good today too!)

ANNIE - WTG about your elliptical .. I have been looking at them on our auction site in NZ and seriously thinking of getting myself one for XMas perhaps ... so many of them say weight limits of like 120kg/110kg .. And Im still lookin for one that can go up to say 140kg ... but then the prices really jump .. but that might be my gift to myself when I reach one of those weights lol ..

MISTI - Hope your luck changes with the scales!

Oh good grief .. I gotta go ... didnt think I would be stopping for this long. No major news on my side of the world .. the weather has been causing havoc with my moods .. but doing a lot better today (as is my mood lol). I dont think Im going to lose much this week . even tho I am staying OP (actually I think Im being naughty by not actually reaching my target calories each day) .. but Im drinkin the water I need .. and Richard and I exercise 4 times a week (so far). So as long as I dont go up I will be ok ... really wanted to get to the 280s this week tho .. but still .. getting closer will see what its like on Friday

Huggies all and OP days!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #10  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

MELISSA - Just a quickie about the food diary ... I didnt use to write things down ... but now that I do I find it really helpful .. I use Fitday .. and apart from having to custom most of my foods ... its great .. but then as I dont have a wide and varied diet I find it a lot easier for me now .. and its great having all the info together on my desktop (I bought the program) - weight, size, goals etc .. good luck tho
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #11  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

A QUESTION FOR HEART HEALTHY EXERCISE BUFFS:

Is there a minimum time period that your heart rate should be elevated before it does you some good? I suppose that longer is better to some degree, but it seems to me that my weight lose is boosted by my brief mini-sweats late in the day or right before bed, even if I only do a few minutes. Whuddya think?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #12  

Nightkatt - The food plan I'm on? Well I'm a calorie counter..but I don't allow "fast food", potato chips, or chocolate bars AT ALL...everything else I use my judgement..I base it on how many calories it is..if I really 'need' it..if there's a healthier option, etc.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi Everyone. Just about bedtime here but I didn't want to get too far behind. I have a Dr. appointment in the early a.m. Blood tests to check my potassium level. Normal every 6 months.

Lavandel: Oh, boy, 7 minutes on the elliptical sounds like a killer to me. I think I will stay at five for another week just until I can do it comfortably. I feel so shaky when I get off, I'm afraid to over do it then not be able to do the rest of my exercises. Good job staying so OP!

Patty: I love your Avatar too!

Melissa: So sorry that you are plus 2 but, maybe you have had more salt lately and maybe you are building muscle?

Aliceep: Please, I had ecoli once and it is awful. Hang in there and try to drink even more water if you can.

Amanda: Wow, -18 is wonderful

Newsnerd: I bet you got a workout and a 1/2 today doing firewood! Hope you see George!

Ayanna: Good job on drinking more water. I myself have been doing that this week and last week too. Last week it paid off for sure. Hopefully this week will be the same. Congrats on -2!

Nightkat: Oh, ignorance is my bliss. lol I was lucky enough to purchase my elliptical for $25 at a 2nd hand store so no booklet or anything came with it. I have no idea what the weight limit is. I'm almost positive I am way over the limit for it at 505 when I started and still at 485. I never paid attention to that and recently saw on my recumbant bike that the weight limit is 250 pounds. I have been riding that like crazy and it doesn't make a peep like I'm killing it or anything so I shall continue!
lol.

Val: So sorry I can't help you on your question. I have no idea about the burn etc. lol.

Ammi, Sharon, Zelma, , Misti, Amy, Kim, Brandnewme, Brenda, Lilion, Wyllen, all you other missing you lots.

Blessings all,
annie
Old 10-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 9" = 176cm

Im not going to do any personals at the moment, Im just gonna brag a little bit

Today is 14 days since I started with more serious dieting and I lost 10 lbs!!!! Im jumping to the roof now LOL
And I manage to do 20mins of aerobics last night even if I really didnt feel like doing anything.

Now enough bragging and off to do some work.

Have a great day ladies
Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #15  

Hey everyone~

Melissa~Sorry you gained two pounds. Still I have noticed you are doing so good on working out. Hopefully you will shed some pounds soon...just keep at it hun.

Alice~I hope you feel better soon. For sure get back to the doctor soon if you are still feeling bad the next few days. I hope the anitbotics kick in soon!

Amanda~That is great you losing a pound. I get frustrated when I don't meet my goal. But we all I guess have to appreciate what we do lose. And 1 pound is still great!

Newsnerd~That is cool about George Clooney. I wonder what movie he is shooting. Also..sounds like you are doing great on the excercise!

Ayanna~Sounds like you have a good plan! I can so relate about the eating out thing. My husband works shift work..which throws me off schedule a lot. And its so easy just to order out. The making the food and freezing sounds like a good idea. I see a lot of people saying they do that on this site. Good luck with everything! Hang in there!

Nightkatt~Yeah I am for sure taking it slow! Its so frustrating though. Sorry you guys are having bad weather. My mood does get messed up when the weather is nasty. But pretty much for the next 5 months up here in Barrow, AK we will be having piles of snow and will be 20 to -50 degrees. Oh and not to mention the 24 hour darkness. So I guess I will have to just accept the nasty weather! Hope you weather will clear up soon!

Annie~Good luck with the DR. tommorow!

Well...I weighed today. And its the same. I can't complain much because I haven't been able to work out and struggled with being sick. I can be so hard on myself sometimes! Why do we do that? Anyways....I hope things will turn around. I actually tried to walk today...but my ankle was really hurting. I literally sat down and cried. I just let it all out. I got so frustrated because its seems like everything is just going wrong. I know a lot of it is stress. I am scared I have skin cancer and stressing about everything else. And I failed to mention that I am the biggest worry wart on earth!!!!

But on a more positive note...I feel a lot better. I think when we get frustrated its good to just sit down a let it all out. And I must say this board helps a lot. Because I know all of you understand. You all are great!

Well I tried to do as many personals as possible. To anyone else I missed..I hope you are all doing well!

Michelle
Closed Thread