Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#896

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #2  

Patti - well it felt good at the time, getting back at them by playing loud music, but like I said, I sure hope there won't be any repercussions. Well if my windows get smashed tonight I will know who it was!

Problem with Lean Cusine, and WW meals etc is that they can be SO tasty, but there just is not enough in them!! I tend to add rice, or potatoes, or potato waffles etc, depending which meal I choose. It helps to fill me up then.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 05-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #3  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Hello Ladies,

Jeez, thanks so much for the support! You are all great. I promise to try not to come over here and weep at you all the time.

Sharon - She owns the biz and I work for her. Not sure she'd like the idea of her leaving and me taking over...especially cuz I don't know how to build cabinets and well, it is a cabinet shop! Which, btw, she recognizes she would not be in this shop if it were not for me. When I first met her she was working out of her garage and through my coaching, and guidence, and help with the business end, she was able to get out of her house and into a 4,000 square foot facility with brand new equipment. Talk about taking it up a WHOLE HUGE notch! LOL

Ammi - You are so sweet. Thanks for the compliments on my writing, and my personality. I am not disciplined enough to write for a living. I do sometimes do an "open mike" for spoken word...but it's a hobby, not anything I'm really into wholeheartedly. I'm really happy you are doing well on your new meds. You sound lighter and cheerier! :-) And yeah, Mr. or Ms. Right WILL show up someday. I know that. As a matter of fact, when I talked with my therapist about this the last time she said "When I was single it gave me great comfort to imagine my Mr. Right doing the laundry, or taking a walk by my house, or grocery shopping. Your next love is out there...it's just not time for you to meet yet." Sounds corny, but it really gave me comfort to think about it that way. Like, yeah, she IS alive RIGHT NOW and we'll meet when the time is right. :-)

Kalye, girl, I am so sorry about the jobs! Have you any temp agencies in your area? They are a GREAT first step into a lawfirm (since you want to be a paralegal). They will test you in typing, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. If you don't have either Word or Excel, PM me and I can give you a more extensive guide on studying for them. You can tell them you would like to have any clerical job but would prefer to work in a law firm. When I moved to CA I could not find a job to save my life and I learned to use those temp agencies to THE MAX. I have lots of pointers, if you are interested, just PM me!

Also, I suggest you do some research of your own. Most jobs out there don't ever get advertised cuz people fill them with a reference from someone they trust so you out to get your butt into networking mode!

For example, read the paper every day and pay special attention to the articles where local lawyers are being interviewed. Google the lawyers that you feel are working on the kind of cases you'd like to be a part of; contact the law firms where they work and ask to talk to the hiring manager. Tell them you are looking for a job and ask if you can send a resume. A lot of law firms use temp agencies for placements, believe it or not. So, if she says they use a temp agency - ask for the name of the agency AND her contact person in the agency. And, don't forget to get the name of the person with whom you are talking. Then, call the agency and say "I was talking to Bev at So-Many-Lawyers Firm and she suggested I contact you. I'm interested in a job in a law firm." The recruiter will take it from there!

AND, on a separate call, call the lawyer you read about in the paper (I know, this takes more guts...but trust me, if it worked for me, it can work for you - call at night and leave him/her a private vm if you are too scared to call during the day) and tell that person that you are a college student interested in becoming a lawyer (fib a little - don't say "paralegal" cuz they are not as likely to pay attention to you) and are doing some career research. Ask her if she's have the time to meet with you for 15 minutes to answer a few questions about the profession and her experience. You'd be amazed how many people say yes!!

If you go to the meeting well-groomed and prepared with smart questions (not your basic questions a career counselor can answer), you'll make a good first impression. When you are there, ask if the office offers internships (if you can afford to take a 2-3 month unpaid internship, you can totally use that to get you ahead) or if she knows of someone who is looking for an assitant. After the interview, make sure to get a biz card and use the contact info to send a "thank you" note via postal mail (they are rare these days and make a lasting impression - especially if written in good penmanship and without errors). It's a lot of work, but if you do it this way, you are more likely to get the right kind of job!

Oh goodness...and don't get me started on visitin the courts and sitting in on trials...that is a whole other strategy! Maybe some other day! ROFL

Jill - yeah, I have these fantasies of running into her in about 6-8 months (I don't have to be skinny - she likes girls to be about a size 10-12 and me at a size 18-20 is one hot item!) and looking HOT and having her jaw drop! LOL I walked in today and told her that I am buying myself a motorcycle. She thought I was kidding. I've wanted to ride a motorcycle for over 10 years and for some reason, now I feel confident that I can learn to ride. So anyway, she didn't believe me one bit. So, in this fantasy, I run into her while getting off my beautiful new bike. LOL Gosh, how silly can I get?!? LOL

But, the bike thing is about me, not her. The cost of gas is one factor, the fact that I'm losing weight and can actually see me on a bike for the first time is another, and third, they just announced on the news that within the next year or so Caltrans is closing one of the tiers of the Bay Bridge (which I cross every day!) so that all the incoming and outgoing traffic for San Francisco is going to be squeezed into 5 lanes instead of 10!!! You'd better believe I am going to be riding a bike as soon as I can afford to buy myself one!

One of my old lovers called today to say hi and he rides a bike. I asked him for help on how to do this and he gave me the name of a place where I can learn to ride and get a certificate to get my license, and then we talked about the size of the bike a begginer should get and about my body size. He has a friend who is larger than me so he has a point of reference so we talked about that. And, as soon as have the money to buy one, he'll come over to CA or I can go visit him in AZ and he'll help me with finding a good bike so that I don't make a stupid purchase.

I tell you - pliés, a motorcyle - rock climbing is not very much behind! LOL

Xena - Yeah, I am so happy that 40 is on it's way. You could not pay me enough money to be in my 20's again! And, in my 30's every year is better than the last. Most of my friends who are in their 40's say it just gets better and better and, based on my experience, I totally believe them! :-)

Zelma - Regarding that before picture, I just have one thing to say you to - WOW.

And Crockett - I totatlly agree with Jill on the exercise thing. And, what on EARTH is a "gazelle"????

I'm feeling much better, thank the Heavens. And, I've got my eating under control - I totally wanted a cookie when I went out to lunch...bought grapes instead!

Catch ya all later!

Last edited by ThisGirlsLosing; 05-02-2006 at 05:56 PM.
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #4  

you are right about the lean cusines some of them fill me up better than others. i do much better if i fix some good oldfashioned veggies like green beans and broccoli .plus they are super low on calories !
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #5  

MariaLucia - What a fabulous post your last one was, so much information for kayley, finding out more about your ex and how you helped her get her business where it is to day. Knowing that you are aiming to ride a bike in the not too distant future, and to hear about your fantasy of meeting Ms Right. I don't even think you would need to try to write for a living, you could just keep a diary and at the end of an era, whether it be losing weight, and doing all the things you always wanted to, or whatever, you could put it all together and get it published. I am sure it would make fabulous reading. Perhaps you could do that when you are old and grey, though something tells me that isn't ever going to happen. You are too full of fun and life to sit at home and just be old! I hope you and the others are right that life begins at 40, I am not too far away I know for one that I fully intend to be my goal weight before then, so if nothing else, that will make the start of my next 40 years a good one!

Patti - I much prefer a nice meal that fills me up too, plenty of low or no point veges. It gets me through the early days of a diet, I haven't been hungry at all so far

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 05-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just a few quickies --

Nancy -- great job analyzing the real cookie craving

Crock and Andrea (welcome back), and anyone else, please join us in the exercise thread! We count the minutes we exercise ourselves, but also as a group! It is EXCELLENT accountability! I have never been a regular exerciser before, and here I am!

We are also counting up all of our exercise minutes to try to get to 100,000 minutes of exercise (we are nearly halfway there at 47,000)... at least, I think we're doing that... (*hint*) I haven't heard much feedback about whether people like the idea or not (*hint* *hint*). So, please let me know what you think! (/*hint*)

Jilly -- your posts are always so thoughtful and you really know your stuff... we'd love to see you at the exercise thread too!!! Even a little might help you break through your plateau!!

MariaLucia -- I'm with you on the 40s thing. I loved being in my 30s and see no reason to stop loving stuff in my 40s. In fact, me in my 40s and FIT has got to beat the 30s and FAT any day!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #7  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmiUK
Perhaps you could do that when you are old and grey, though something tells me that isn't ever going to happen. You are too full of fun and life to sit at home and just be old!
When I was in my early 20's, I had a g/f whose parents were about 5-7 years older than my parents. Her folks were such active, interesting people! To this day I still miss them! In their 60s (at the time) they traveled all of New England to go Contra Dancing, they went hiking regularly, and skiing, and mountain biking and who knows what else!

When she and I graduated from the same school (me with my BS in math, and she with her MA in history) we celebrated with one big graduation dinner. My parents came to the dinner and sat next to her parents. That day I learned such a valuable lesson! If you were to look around the table you'd think MY parents were the ones who were a decade older!!!!

It is then that I realized that age is not a number but an attitude AND a lifestyle. My mother was in her early 50's then (when women are in the pinacle of beauty, IMHO) and she was already old and half-way to the grave - ALL because of her attitude and lack of self-care. That day I vowed to learn to live life to the fullest and to not let fear stop me from being what I wanted to be.

I am happy to say that I am younger today than I was when I was 23 and took myself and life too seriously.

So, yeah, I will probably get to be aged and grey (at least I hope so!) but the odds of me ever getting "old" are pretty slim! :-)
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #8  

Ammi - I am coping pretty well. Still have those "moments" and probably always will. I've been writing a lot of poetry to release some of the emotion. We had a team in Owen's name for the local March of Dimes walk and raised nearly $1500 for them. That was neat.

Heather - I'm on my way over to the exercise thread now!
HippieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Zelma - Wow, wow, WOW!!!! And that's all I've got to say about THAT!

Maria - I have in fact tried temp agencies, and they will only place me in factory...they say I have no prior office experience, so they can't place me in one! HOW do they expect me to GET the experience if they don't give me a chance?!?! Honestly, I think I'd make a great secretary. I'm courteous and personable, type 70 words a minute, know Excel, Word, and PowerPoint...and NOTHING. UGH! As for the law firms...I've tried...I was even in a program to help me get out there, and get in contact with people...but no takers. This area is really rough...and until I graduate with at least my Associate's, no one is going to take me seriously...

I was going to do more personals tonight, but I am just SO tired...English final was today, and the questions weren't hard...it was OPEN BOOK! lol...it was just extremely tedious. Spent the rest of the day in the computer lab, but I finally finished my 7 page paper on John Wayne Gacy...even made a neato cover with pictures...lol. More finals tomorrow, so I dunno how many personals I'll get to, but know that I'm keeping up with you guys, and I'm here in spirit!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #10  
South Beach Life Style

Well, I stayed after class to find out if I passed my billing and coding test... and I did I made an A
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Sharon: glad to see you back and your vacation was pretty good it sounds like. Congrats on all that walking.

Zelma: Amazing photos once again!

Ammi: I feel so much better than before I started these meds. I truly feel like I did when I first got married. I feel so hopeful and happy now. I'm glad that you are feeling so much better too.

Crock: I love that you put your before and after pictures on the computer. You sure look so much smaller now expecially around the tummy area! Wonderful. I can't wait to see a difference in my pics too. Of coarse I need to take a picture now to see the difference later. LOL.

Andrea: Yes we remember you. I'm so glad you are back. I have been praying for you and think of you often. It seems like you are doing better. Hugs to you.

MariaLucia: My hubby is a bikerless biker right now but, a few years back before he sold his bike, we were getting ready to move so we spent the night with my Grandma to visit with her and when he went out to start his bike in the morning to go to his last day at work, it wouldn't start so he took my car. Later in the day I went out to see if it was the battery and It started. I have been a back seat on his bike for a few years and I didn't realize how much I had learned just from riding in the back seat. I don't know what came over me but I thoght to myself, I can ride this bad boy. I jumped on it and rode it from the town my Grandma lives in to the town where my hubby was working. That was about a 25 mile ride because I took the back roads. It was so much fun and what a feeling. It was in California before the helmet law passed and what a rush to have your hair flying behind you and the wind in your face. I hope you can meet someone to ride behind for a while because you learn a bunch. I hear you about the gas prices too. Bikes are so much better on gas. Good luck with that.

Kayley: good luck with the job search. Hang in there.

Blessings everyone,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

oh my goodness. i havent posted in SO long. i am so sorry. it has been a crazy last few weeks. im finally done with training at work. i like my job well enough. i only have to work 12 hours a week to keep my benefits, so thats pretty awesome. i can work only 2 days a week and start doing makeup jobs more now

i finished my beauty class and aced my test. it was such a fun class. i am now in my character class. this week we are learning aging. its really scary. but i love it. we are going to learn prosthetics and wounds and bruises and all the fun stuff

doing pretty well on WW. back on plan this week. i had a interesting last few weeks and i have been totally off plan. i didnt weigh in this week because i was working on a movie. i will definatley make more of an effort to check in more often.

*hugs to all*
Luan
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Maria, I'm so glad you are feeling so positive, its a shame that you are stuck working with your ex, but at this rate you'll be running for governor before long!!!!!!!!
Andrea, I'm so glad that you are back. I remember you often and wonder about how you are doing. Your little one must really be helping your exercise routine, mine is always 'helping' me by pulling the dynaband I'm using or running between my legs as I'm side-stepping!
Crock, well done on the test!
Wyllen, I'm ok with the exercise thing and going for that big number of minutes, TOM has almost gone so I'll be back on the exercise thread today.
Dogpal, oh I'm so envious I bought a (motor)bike but have no balance and riding with no lid, I only did that on a MAG run as a passenger (motorcycle Action Group) but it was a great feeling.
Ammi, I'm so glad you turned up the stereo, noisy neighbours are so ******* and selfish too. When I lived in an end terrace my neighbour had her dog in her bedroom, which was next to mine, and it seemed to bark all night, I felt like going round there and shooting them both!
Nancy, what willpower!!!! and the sense to stop & think WHY you needed that cookie, that's the sort of moment I need to have more often!
Well my tummy was better but I have a horrible pain on my left side, level with my tummy button. It really hurts when I bend down, like there's a big lump there or a swelling but when I lie down and feel it there's nothing there, it also hurts when I twist from the waist, I'm hoping its nothing but if its still there on Monday I will go to the Doc's to get it checked out. Its strange that it started for no reason, no falls, heavy lifting or anything.
Oh well no exercises today but I will take a walk.
Keep healthy & well,
xxsharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 AM   #14  

Good Morning All,

I have been a busy bee this morning. I sorted out my walk in wardrobe, which believe me, holds more than clothes lol, so it was quite a task. I also have done a load of washing, which I am just waiting to finish in the machine before I put it on the line. AND I have sorted out months of paperwork that needed filing away. I did my online banking, read my email, and now here I am, and it's only 10.15 in the morning. Gotta love staying awake

MariaLucia - I see I was right, and you definitely are not going to get old! One of the many reasons I want to lose weight is because I already hobble around like an old woman, what will I be like at this weight when I really am old? Time to shift those lbs and get a new lease on life.

HippieMomma - I am glad to hear that you are doing ok, and that writing the poetry is a bit of an emotional release for you. It's also wonderful that you raised that much money in Owen's name, well done

Kayley - it doesn't make sense does it how some employers only want staff with experience at the job, but then don't hire newbies to get that experience. They really should take a good hard look at what they would be passing up in you with all your qualifications and such a lovely personality as well.

Glad to hear your English final wasn't hard, and I hope you find the rest of your finals equally as easy to do. When will you have your results? Beth and Caleigh both have exams over the next few weeks. Caleigh has been studying hard, Beth seems to think that just reading through her books in school is enough. We will have to wait and see who had the right idea when it comes to their results.

Crock - an A in your coding and billing test, that is fabulous. You should be really pleased with yourself.

Annie - I think I learn something new about you most times you post, that is so cool that you used to love riding pillion on a bike, and that you decided one day to just take off on it yourself. Mind you, I am the world's biggest worry wart, no way, law or now law would I have gone without a helmet, and probably all the leather protective gear too

That is so wonderful that your meds are making you feel so good that it's like when you first got married. I am not quite at that stage yet, but at least I am feeling more optimistic, and that in itself is brilliant. One step at a time.

Luan - congrats on acing your test for beauty class. I think it's great to be able to do pretty make up, but I would be far more interested in all the stuff you are doing now, the character stuff, aging, bruises etc.

Great that you have finished your training at the gym, you sure do sound like you have a great life. The make up course, working at the gym, and on movies. I think you are another of the ladies here that could write a book!

Sorry you missed your WI, I hope you have a wonderful WI next week now that you are back on track with your eating.

Sharon - I am terrible. I was so pleased that we got back at the neighbours by playing our music loud, but ever since I have been so worried that they are going to start being really bad neighbours. I am sure today they have been noisier than normal. Then again that could be my paranoia. I just don't want to end up with the conflict of battling neighbours

I think you should go to the doctors about that new pain you are experiencing. Even if it turns out to be muscular at least your mind will be at rest. I will look for you later on MSN and hopefully you will be able to tell me if you went.

Ok I think I hear the washing on its final spin now. Time to go put it on the line. My neighbour is out in his garden, I hope he doesn't say anything to me!!

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #15  

good morning all. Ammi such energy you have so early in the morning! i am sleepy after staying up last night, had to watch American Idol, House and then Nashville Star. well i am off to do some treadmilling.. and i am dreading it cuz i have a headache this morning.
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote