Old 07-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #16  
a work in progress...

Tina...I haven't even finished reading your post, but I had to put my two cents in. The reason that you are getting the cramps is that diuretics will deplete the potassium in your system, specifically the muscles. Potentially dangerous, seeing as the heart is just one big muscle! Let your doctor know. (and don't wait for an appointment, call the office and let the nurse know ASAP) He will probably prescribe some kind of potassium supplement for you. They usually go hand in hand. (diuretic/potassium) In the meantime, try drinking some orange juice and eating bananas...good sources of K+ (potassium). And keep drinking that water! As for the heart rate being higher in an overweight person: Not automatically...everyone is different, mine is usually on the slow side. There may be some underlying factors that will cause a higher heart rate. How is your blood pressure? Do you have any shortness of breath? These are things to definitely discuss with your doctor.

As for missing your honey...I know all about that. With the crazy shifts that he works and me on nights, it's rare that we get any time together. But when we do, that time is precious, even if it's just going to the grocery store together! You said it yourself, the money is good, and the permanence of the job will benefit your family...it's something that you just have to 'get through' for now.

For better or worse, remember? Hang in there, kiddo!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 07-06-2004 at 01:49 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #17  
a work in progress...

Smile Nothing to do weight loss, but I wanted to share....

Five lessons to make you think about the way we treat people.

1. First Important Lesson - Cleaning Lady. During my second month of college, our professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions, until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"

Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade.

"Absolutely," said the professor. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say "hello".

I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy.

2. Second Important Lesson - Pickup in the Rain One night, at 11:30 p.m., an older African American woman was standing on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rainstorm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride. Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car. A young white man stopped to help her, generally unheard of in those conflict-filled 1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and put her into a taxicab.

She seemed to be in a big hurry, but wrote down his address and thanked him. Seven days went by and a knock came on the man's door. To his surprise, a giant console color TV was delivered to his home. A special note was attached. It read: "Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes, but also my spirits. Then you came along. Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's bedside just before he passed away. God bless you for helping me and unselfishly serving others," Sincerely, Mrs. Nat King Cole.

3. Third Important Lesson - Always remember those who serve. In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10 year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him. "How much is an ice cream sundae?" he asked. "Fifty cents," replied the waitress. The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied the coins in it. "Well, how much is a plain dish of ice cream?" he inquired. By now
more people were waiting for a table and the waitress was growing impatient. Thirty-five cents," she brusquely replied.

The little boy again counted his coins. "I'll have the plain ice cream," he said. The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and left.

When the waitress came back, she began to cry as she wiped down the table. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies. You see, he couldn't have the sundae, because he had to have enough left to leave her a tip.

4. Fourth Important Lesson - The Obstacles in Our Path. In ancient times, a King had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the King for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded After the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the King indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many of us never understand!

Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

5. Fifth Important Lesson - Giving When it Counts. Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare &serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year-old brother, who had miraculously survived the same antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her." As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheeks. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, Will I start to die right away?". Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save her.

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching."

Last edited by katrinabgood; 07-06-2004 at 05:50 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #18  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Wink

Kat I loved that!

I am going to weigh in tonight. I hope it goes okay. I am feeling better so I can eat now and I hope I haven't overdone it. But I will let everyone know. Can anybody tell me what Dh is I am so lost on that one...Well I gotta get to my meeting I will let yall know how it goes.

Scoot
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #19  

Smile

It sounds like you have all been having a nice holiday.

BarbPA: I LOVE ovary stories. Especially when told by such a good story teller as you! Here is something for you:

My family left this morning. We had a lot of fun but I was exhausted. My sisters and I find so many things to laugh at that our stomachs hurt!!! My one sister always holds up her hand and says - Stop !!! I can't breathe!!! Then we laugh all the more.

I kept thinking all the while we were out and about that I really want to change things before I see them again next summer. I will be healthier and more fit!!!

It is in the mid 50's here today - our normal is 83 - brrrrr.

I have some mail to get through so I will "see ya" all tomorrow.

Last edited by LuckyLadyBug; 07-06-2004 at 07:26 PM.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #20  
Michigan Old-Timer

Howdy! I feel like I haven't been here in forever, even though I've read everything everyone has written.

The weekend went pretty well. The "baby" went to Buffalo, NY to his college roommate's house for the long weekend. He figured since he had Monday off, he would take Friday too. He left on Thursday afternoon so he could have a really loooongggg weekend. His roomie hasn't started work for the summer yet and the "baby" figured it would be his last chance for a few days partying before reality sets in. BTW, he got hired on full time with his co-op company as of the first of the month so I now have both boys EMPLOYED!!! :

Honey, #1 Son and I went to the movies on Saturday and saw Spiderman 2. It was very entertaining. On Sunday, we all went to my MIL's for the annual cookout and fireworks. It was nice but the weather here was a mess. Raining and then sunshine and then it kept repeating that process all day long. Finally cleared up enough to shoot off fireworks after dark.

Yesterday it was a lazy day. Went out to breakfast with some friends and then home to sit around. I did a bit of reading out in my "secret" (read front porch) garden. Max, the cat, was a pain in the butt and didn't want to stay on the porch so after several attempts at squirting him with water (my teaching tool) to no avail, he went back in the house. It seemed like I was getting up every two sentences. Argh!!

Today it was a GYN appointment at 9:00. WooHoo! Gotta love going to the "crotch doctor". NOT!!! She says my symptoms would be in line with being peri-menopausal. WooHoo, again. Just more fun in my life.

My friend, Miss Doris' daughter, called and left a message that they took her to the hospital on Sunday. She is not doing well at all. She has given up all desire to live. Won't eat or drink. I guess she is still asking for me so I'm going to go up there to see her tomorrow afternoon. Poor dear. Please add them to your prayers.

Diet and exercise are still non-existent. I'm hoping that I will regain some sort of spark soon.

No time for replies tonight. I've got a bit of paperwork to do before Joe Schmoe 2 starts on Spike TV. Hope to see you all for a lengthier post soon.

Love ya bunches!

P.S. Scooter: DH is "dear husband", "darling husband", or "dang husband" depending on the day!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #21  
Dancing those pounds away

Scooter... I never did tell you how happy I am your surgery went well and you are too. I love you enthusiasm... I will dance with you when you reach your mini goal.

TINA !!!!!! LIsten to Kat.... I too wanted to stop and post the minute I read yours.
It is almost definitely your potassium. CALL YOU DOCTOR and tell him about the cramps and the fast heart beat.... NOW !!!!
As for your hubby working 2nd shift. Chin up !! Your sons will learn from your example so be strong and HAPPY for them. Diversity is a part of life... and your sons will learn from your example how to handle it... not from your words of wisdom. BE STRONG for them. {{HUGS}}

Thin... I sure have missed you. Congrats on the job front for your sons.
I stopped reading and sent up a prayer when I read your post for your Doris and her family.. and YOU. You always give... give .... and give. You are such a sweatheart.

Lucky... sounds like FALL not summer. Brrrrrr
Your relationship with your sister sounds awesome. Count your blessings.

Kat... I have read all of those before... but they are soooooo GREAT I am glad you posted them for me to read again.

Barbg ... let us know what they do to change up your program. How do you like it?? What are you doing now??
Oh yes.. I LOVED your "unanswered prayer" post.

Terri... sounds like you have your hands full with those horses. I think they may be as much work as having kids. My best girlfriend had a horse when I was younger and I loved riding hers. Then when we got old enough to drive... we never rode... and she (the horse) basicly went wild. You couldn't ride her after awhile.

Okay... it took all my time to do replys... so no time to chat. Maybe tomorrow.

Syn... are you out there peeking but not posting ???
Did your NON-boyfriend ever come and visit ???

Andria... there are lots of exercise videos you can do sitting in a chair. I will try to find mine and tell you their names. They really do give you a workout.

Mary... how cool your son has a girlfriend... and even nicer that she is someone you like.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Here's what you should NOT do when creating a post - click on the thread path at the very top before you have clicked on submit.

Poop, I just lost my post. I'm too tired to recreate.

Who's watching Amazing Race? Pretty wild. They've had to do a lot in this first show. Charla should dump her cousin Mirna.

Hello to everyone! Have a good night!!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:43 PM   #23  
Progress..not perfection

Unhappy It's me again....

Ok.... I am definitely calling my doctor tomorrow, but before I do.... I wanted to tell you guys that everyone says the cramping is because of low potassium but........ it says on the papers that came with the rx:

WARNING: This medication is likely to raise your body's potassium levels. This effect is more likely to occur in patients with kidney, diabetes, or serious illness or in the elderly. Potassium levels must be closely monitored on a regular basis while taking this medication. If not treated, high potassium levels can sometimes be fatal. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of these rare but serious symptoms: muscle weakness, very slow heartbeat.

HOWEVER ......

It also says:

This medication may lead to excessive loss of body water and minerals. Tell your doctor immediately if you have any of these unlikely but serious symptoms of dehydration or mineral loss: muscle cramps or weakness, confusion, severe dizziness, unusual dry mouth or thirst, nausea or vomitting, fast/irregular heartbeat......blah blah.

I have all the symptoms above that I have put in bold.

I am definitely calling the nurse in the morning and will post as soon as I hear from her.

Thanks Kat and everyone for the advise.
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #24  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

Talking I'm melting....melting....melting

HOORAY FOR TINA!!! I am so glad you are going to call you doctor. I wasn't going to call my doctor when I was sick because I am one of those wait it out kind of people. and I am glad my sister kicked me in the pants!

I hope everyone is doing good!

Lucky I wish our weather was like that I hate the humidity!

Terri do you have any pictures of your horses?

Well I weighed in last night I lost another 3 3/4 pounds!!! In the month of June I lost 11lbs. since my gallbladder has been squirly I have lost 14.5. WooHoo! Sucky way to lose it but now I know what I have to do to get it gone.

Hope everyone has a really good day!!!!

Scooter
Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 PM   #25  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

I know it isn't a huge loss to post, but I just had to because it moves me into a new decade! I was so shocked yesterday evening when I weighed that I had to step off the scale and try it again. I'll get a more official WI on Thursday for you, but I'm still counting this one!
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #26  
BELIEVE!

OK gals, it's story time...who wants and ovary story??? Lucky - I know you do!

What a crazy, emotional, stressful time this has been. My body hates me - but tomorrow will be its chance to be good to me. Yesterday concluded the stim cycle of my treatment (2x daily injections to get my ovaries working). Last night was a joy of a big a$$ shot in my big a$$. This is called the "trigger" shot - which makes my body ovulate. Exactly 36 hours after the shot, which will be 8am Thursday, I will have my egg retrieval procedure - they use a needle to aspirate the eggs from my ovary. Luckily I will be knocked out during this procedure.

So, the good news is that we made it to this point! The potentially bad news is that my right ovary has only produced a potential of 3 eggs and my left ovary did nothing for me! However, as we know, it only takes one good egg to have a baby. So, we are praying that come tomorrow we get 2-3 good ones to fertilize and hope that our frozen sperm thaws out nice and strong!! Up until today I have been very strong through this cycle, but I am crying at the drop of a hat today! I keep telling myself that it's meant to be and will work, but it's so damn hard.

If you can spare some extra thoughts and prayers for me tomrrow morning I would greatly appreciate it!

I love you all - thanks for putting up with me!

Will get back to personals when I can settle down to think straight!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #27  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

Talking

Barbara I will praying for you tonight and tomorrow. I wish you the biggest luck!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #28  
Dancing those pounds away

I don't have time to post... but Barb... I just had to come in and tell you that we are all praying for you. {{{ HUGS }}} Hang on to that FAITH ... faith is belief without proof.

Andria... CONGRATS on your new milestone.
8 more ounces and you will be at 30lb loss.

Scooter.. Congratulations to you too. You are on your way !!!!

Tina.. glad to see you are calling the doctor. Either way.... low or high ... potassium is nothing to mess with. You need a doctor to find out which you are. Let us know the results.

Terri ... sorry you lost your post. I don't watch Amazing Race. I did watch about 15 minutes of Big Brother with my daughter.

Okay.. gotta share computer time with my daughter so I have to run.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #29  
Progress..not perfection

Default A quick note.....

Barb: I'm thinking of you and sending love, good wishes and luck your way.

Ok..... I called the doctor and let them know all that was going on with me. I told them about the muscle cramps, nausea (bad) and fast heartbeat.

The nurse said my doctor said to STOP taking the meds and he wants to see me. I didn't have to make an appt right away, but I will be seeing him again next Tuesday. I have finally got my ankles down to a somewhat normal size and I'm scared they'll get all swolen again. Oh well, we shall see.

I'm off to cook spaghetti for supper.... just thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.

Take care! I love you guys!
QueenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #30  

Smile

BarbPA: I will be praying and praying for your ovaries tomorrow!!! Oh, and you too!!!!

LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote