Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Default Riding a bike

Hey everyone! I'm still around, just more of a lurker these days. Busy with school and work and family. But I have a question. My boyfriend is finally feeling pretty good after almost being fully recovered from his surgery complications and is ready to get up and on his bike again.

I...i have not been on a bike since I was 15 years old. Not that I cannot get on a bike. I'm sure that I can, physically. Does anyone else ride? Is it safe for us in the 300+ group to, well, get ON a bike? Will I snap the deadgum frame? I don't want us to blow $500 on a bike, if I'm not going to get my money's worth.

Anyone have any thoughts?
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

About four years ago (I think, maybe 5) my husband and I bought bikes and hubby weighed more than 400 lbs and my weight was closer to 400 lbs than it was 300.

We went to a couple of the bike shops in town and they pointed out what we should look for (basically the simplest old-fashioned one-piece frames without springs or plastic/silicone parts). We couldn't afford a really good bike, but we were told we should be able to find even a cheap bike at Walmart with the features we were looking for.

We ended up buying the second cheapest bike at Walmart (under $80 for each bike) because it fit the criteria we needed. No plastic parts, the seat hooked on to the bike with bolts not springs...

I did end up replacing my seat with a wider gel-seat (about $20 also at Walmart).

I didn't really expect it to last more than a year (but our plan was if we liked bike riding, we would save for better bikes). There were tons of bike options in the $300 to $500 range. We really liked the classic Schwinn's.

We haven't gotten tons of use from them because hubby was injured the winter after we bought the bikes and it worsened his existing joint damage from an inherited joint issue. Hubby can't ride anymore, and while I also have pain, mobility and balance problems, my issues are more variable. I don't always have the balance to ride, but on good days I can and do.

Because my balance issues may or may not resolve with weight loss, I've been considering the adult tricycle models. Some are literally built like giant toddler trikes, and others are sleeker recumbent trikes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3  

The triangle on a bicycle is very sturdy. The tires can handle double your weight. Your only limitation would be how long you can stand to sit on a seat. I would recommend a woman's seat. At my highest of 350 lbs, I was riding a nice $900 bicycle 25-30 miles at a time. The seat problems I had had more to do with the weight pressure on my girlie bits. I found the less padding, the better. I still have a leather-only Brooks seat on my good bike.

If you have balance issues, a trike is a good thing to ride if you have a flat area to ride around on it. They are hard to pedal uphill. A recumbent bicycle (pricey) helps people with seat compression issues and is gentle on the back. You can get a 3-wheeled recumbent bicycle too!

Hope this info helps!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #4  

Awesome info, ladies. Thanks so much for the responses! I'm kind of excited-- it's been so long since I've been on one, and will be fun to get outside. Walking to me is just BORING. I love stationary bikes in the gym, especially recumbent. I'm hoping this is something my sweetie and I can do for a long time! He rode for years and wants to get going on it again. I will keep you all posted. ~Hugs!~
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Great info. I really would love to start biking.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/307/235

Good to know!! I've been wondering about bikes for plus-sized women. The ones I've come across online are crazy expensive. :/
withoutwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #7  

I found a really nice Raleigh bike at a local bike shop for around $350 with tax and my persistence at needing a kickstand. What else would you do with a bike with no kickstand???? It made me sound like an 8 yr old but I didn't care. I got the kickstand. I got the men's version of the bike. They size you for a bike-- S, M, L, XL and it has nothing to do with weight. It has to do with height and the length of your torso, etc. I tried out 3 of them, and I got a comfort men's bike. I LOVE it. I rode it around for awhile and I didn't fall off OR pop any tires. My boyfriend's bike is in the shop getting a tune up and then we are AT it to hit the hike and bikes. I'm excited!