Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #1  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Default Tips

My mother and I had a heart to heart today and she has seen my progress. She is also seeing a hypnotist. Today she asked me to make up a plan for her of what she can/should do. I know what has worked for me and what has worked for her in the past. I have a list of things I might present to her being very clear that she needs to make the change SLOWLY not all at once. My question is what are some things that have helped you along the way?
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #2  

I start with a week or two of just not eating between meals. I find that is easiest way for me to start off. Don't stress about the composition of the meals until later.
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Committing to daily exercise was essential for me. I started at only 10 minutes a day and built up to 30 or more over the course of about 5 months. Starting at a level you know you can maintain on a daily basis allowed me not to injure myself but to build up my strength and flexibility. I feel sooo much better, and exercise makes it easier to eat less.

Checking in here DAILY is also helpful for me. This time around I told myself I would check in every day, even if I fell off program, unless I don't have internet access. Your mother might find some other mechanism for accountability, but I think the concept of having to account for each day is very important.

Like MrsTee, I didn't worry about making my meals healthier at first, but as time went on I started tracking various nutrients and realized I wasn't getting much fiber; increasing fiber seemed to reduce my cravings for sweets.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #4  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Having a food journal of some sort, writing down what I eat to keep me aware.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

I agree with Vortex, a 10 minute walk daily really pushed me into gear
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Little things. I knew that when I started if I was overwhelmed I'd never do anything.

So my first step was to commit to doing little things. Taking a 5 minute walk a day. I swear, that was it. 5 minutes on the treadmill was all I did for about a month! Then I slowly added more.

Wrote down my food. I didn't even change the way I ate to start with. I just wrote everything down. No matter the portion, no matter the choice of food. My small starting change was tracking NO MATTER WHAT.

So, movement no matter what. Tracking no matter what. Those were my two starting points. The glue for those changes (and for every change since) was to return to those habits regardless of the mistakes I made. If I ate something I did really want, or ate too much (more common), or if I skipped a workout day. Didn't matter. The very next chance I'd go back to the healthier normal.

I suppose it boils down to commitment and forgiveness. I'm in this for the long-haul.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #7  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

I'm a total choice fanatic. Rather than make up a specific plan that you recommend to her, I would make her a short list of improvements and then she can choose which one or two to implement or if she wants to come up with an idea of her own to begin with. As much as she says she wants your help and as much as you sincerely want to help, all lasting success that she has will come from within.

As a side note, I'm slightly concerned that your mother-daughter relationship could be affected negatively if you get too involved in her process. I think there are lots of folks here with significant others and parents *involved* with their weight loss who can tell you how emotionally complicated that can become... I'm not saying don't help her, just something to be thoughtful about.

I am a fan of
3 meals + 1-2 snacks daily,
reducing processed foods (if I had to pick one to eliminate first it would be to eat nothing which contains corn syrup)
allowing unlimited fruits and veggies,
multiple short walks each day. And short can be SHORT. If 10 minutes is too long 5 or even 2 will do to begin. Just begin the habit and be kind to the joints.
Increase water intake.
Get plenty of sleep and if a snorer get a sleep study.
And show her this website!!! Finding this website, relating to others' stories, feeling understood, receiving encouragement which comes from a place of empathy, and the freedom to say things that cannot be said in other venues: priceless beyond words.

Congrats on your own weight loss and cheers to your continued improved health and giant kudos for being an example and encouragement for your mum!
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #8  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Thank you all! I will definitely present some of these things to her!

Snaplet- I definitely get where you are coming from! I plan on presenting her a plan of suggestions if that makes sense. Like this is what I RECOMMEND but ultimately you decide where you start. TBH on the mother-daughter relationship it is sad to say but I am not worried about that....ours can't really get much worse.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Make a doc appt for physical 2-4 weeks out and keep a simple food log to take with you. NO changes other than just writing it down to help give the doc a snapshot.

Then get the plan laid out from there.

And I agree -- don't get too wrapped up in your mom's journey. She has to want to do this for herself.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-27-2011 at 02:31 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/progress/life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I suppose it boils down to commitment and forgiveness. I'm in this for the long-haul.
Absolutely this! I've made a commitment to never giving up and that takes a lot of being kind and forgiving myself when I'm not perfect. And realizing there is no short term wen it comes to food and weight issues...it's forever.

Congratulations on your success and good luck to your mom!
goodnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #11  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Thanks all! I did sit down with her, I talked to her about adding another change every 2 weeks or so. I think she has the commitment this time! I directed her to the site and he wants me to help her set it up in a little bit so we will see! I know you will all be as helpful to her as you have been to me!