Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 440+/387/175

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and I'm still not sure how everything works, so I hope you all will bear with me. I am 47 and currently weigh 386. My highest weight was somewhere over 440. (the doctors scales only go to 440 and I zero'd them out) I recently was scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery, but they had me on the bed with all the IVs and the anethesiologist was about to put me under when the doc stopped the surgery. He had reviewed my recent echo and said it was too risky. I have CHF and my heart output had gone from 34 to 65, but the final one said 25. I guess it's good he stopped cuz I probably wouldn't have survived. My cardiologist gave me a year to live in 2005, so I'm doing better than he expected. I was 389 at the surgery date. (dec 1) so I've lost 3 lbs since then. I've been somewhat depressed because I think of all the plans I had for when I lose the weight and then I remember that that's no longer going to happen, at least not in the time frame I wanted. I actually thought I was doing better, but I just realized that I've only lost 3 lbs in 17 days. At that rate it will take over 2 1/2 years. I don't have that much time. If I get the weight off quickly I can likely increase my longevity. I have making positive changes that are becoming permanent, but it is sooo slow. I have cut back on my eating, but I cannot motivate myself to exercise. My legs feel so heavy I can barely lift them to get into the car or up even one step. Just general walking though and moving around is getting better. Before I couldnt walk more than a few steps with out getting winded or being in too much pain. I fall into this trap of feeling hopeless. I know we all feel that way sometimes. Anyway, I am just here for some support and some encouraging words, tips, or anything that will help.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Missina -- WELCOME!!!! I hope you will find some of what you're looking for here. Sounds like you're a little depressed right now with changed expectations. That's really hard.

I took a "baby steps" approach to weight loss -- meaning that I made incremental changes. Some people change everything all at once.

My advice is to not worry officially about "exercise" yet. Just try to move a little more. When I first started losing weight, I tried to park a little farther when running errands, and instead of yelling a question up to my husband, I'd walk up the stairs. I didn't add "exercise" until a couple of months in.

And keep making those positive food changes! Pick a habit to change, make the changes, then pick another one, etc.

Welcome!!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #18  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Today's been pretty good. No major disasters food wise.

On Thursday night my apt. got cold so I called the office and they sent a delightful buildings guy who fussed with the thermostat and it seemed to be warming up. I went to bed to wake up to 2 degrees outside and 50 degrees inside. It was COLD. The guy came back with help and now I have a new thermostat and zone valve (whatever that is?) and heat! YAY!!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 440+/387/175

Height: 5'4"

I had the best day today. I had been depressed about all the things I can't do that I had hoped to be able to do because of surgery (which was cancelled due to my heart condition). I got to thinking about what if my heart is deteriorated to a point that I will never be able to have the surgery. Then it hit me. I'm going to focus on reversing my CHF instead of focusing on the weight. I did some research and found out what supplements can help reverse CHF, and what foods were best. the weight loss is still part of the equation of course, but putting my focus on my heart takes away all the baggage associated with weight, weight loss, and dieting. I don't have to think about how long it's going to take me to lose all the weight, or about what I can and can't have. I just ask myself Is this going to be good for my heart.
As a result of my new lifestyle choice, I went to my daughters and tried out her wii to see if it is something I could use. It was great! I was able to do 2 tennis games, 2 boxing matches, and 1 game of bowling.(I had to finish the game of bowling sitting down though). I have a lot of trouble moving around and standing for long, so this was a great feat for me. After that I decided I wanted to start doing things I have wanted to do. I can't do most of them but there are some things I can start doing to improve my quality of life. So I took my dogs for a walk on the beach. It was so beautiful. The waves were crashing, the smell of the ocean, the cold sand was wonderful. There was a light fog that hung just above the waves. It really refreshed and cleansed my mind and spirit. After that I went shopping. Plus I did some cleaning. I don't usually get that much movement in an entire week, and I felt great! Now that it's evening my body is starting to object a bit, but it's worth it.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

MISSINA- WELCOME!I sure hope you are not to sore this morning. My daughter who is fit and 24 just got a wii and is complaining of being sooooooooo sore. I am so proud of you for putting your health first!!! Just dont overdo things to the point that it hurts you. Im glad you got out and walked the dogs...great for the body and mind!!
My journey started in jan 08. My son had just gotten married and I was so miserable at that wedding. I looked beautiful but sure didnt feel good or wasnt happy with the way I looked or felt. My feet swelled from standing all day and hurt like crazy. I knew my daughters would be getting married in a few years and wanted to look and feel better for their weddings. My middle child got married 10 months ago and I did look better...I was down almost 85lbs and my feet didnt swell from standing all day long. My youngest will be getting married in a couple of years and Im hoping and planning on being at goal by then.
I started out counting calories and didnt add exercise for a few months. When I did start exercising I started slowly and increased it each week.
I am now at 90lbs and plan to get the rest off in 2010. Its coming off alot slower now and alot of it is due to me not being as focused as I need to be. I do great all week and then eat on the weekends. THat is my goal for 2010 is to eat healthier on the weekends.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #21  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!

Sorry I haven't been around. The past few weeks have been crazy! I'm starting to feel a little more relaxed going into the holiday week. I've taken care of family, friends, teachers, etc. Now it's just time for me to enjoy with my hubby and the boys. I still have a lot to do for Santa's arrival, but I'm only working Mon/Tues this week. Yesterday we got nailed with a huge snow storm so it's looking like a white Christmas. Today I enjoyed some sledding in the yard. I felt like a kid, it was a blast!

Food has been a terrible, horrible issue recently. I have no clue why my head has gotten so screwed up with it. I'm in that stupid "just one", "tomorrow I'll to better" mindset. NO NO NO....I've worked too hard to slip now. I have to find my balance once again!

I will do my best to get back here more often. I need you ladies and I miss you!

Now I must sleep. Talk to you soon!
Much Love to all!
Barb
Closed Thread