Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

My garden is doing great! I have eaten lots of onions and and a few bell peppers and 2 squash. I have lots more that is almost ready to eat.

vortex- you can do tomatoes and squash and bell peppers and cucumber all right now.

We had a crazy weekend here. I woke up sat to the sound of hubby hitting the floor. He was having chest pains. We called 911. Everything checked out ok at the hospital but the dr wants a stress test to make sure nothing is going on with his heart. He has the test tommorow morning.Please keep us in your prayers.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #17  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I am happy to report that I actually slept last night, eight full hours. And I feel quite awake this morning. I've got my SamE ready to take before breakfast for an added power burst. The last of my furniture arrives today, finally. I'll be able to take my things out of boxes and put it all away this week.

Barb, I never heard of that aromatherapy thing for CPAP users. What a smart idea! I'm definitely going to look for it.

Kootch, your workout sounds...intimidating! I have an arsenal of Jillian Michaels DVDs. I watched them once and promptly put them back in the box. I'm working up to that level of intensity very slowly. I admire you for powering through the workouts.

Georgia
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #18  

Smile Good Morning Ladies!

Hey everyone!!! I've been SO busy and SO not into the health thing that I haven't had time to visit much.

I'm working vacation bible school as the "costume mistress" as it has a medieval pilgrimage theme. Kind of fun, dressing up kids and adults alike. Of course, I have the best garb... We're also having a "Feast of Arrival" on Thursday, the last day of VBS. I and two of my SCA friends are cooking for everyone. It ought to be fun, fattening, and a lot of work!

Diet-wise, I do well during the day and overeat at night. I've just been having a terrible time with that - "grazing" at night. I actually caught myself last night about to make a peanut-butter english muffin and said to myself, "Self - WTH are you DOING??? You aren't even hungry!" It's like smoking...I don't smoke because I crave a cigarette - I smoke because it's there. When did I start this addictive behaviour? I never used to be like this! But at least I recognize it, I guess that's something. Now to control it...that's next.

Kootch - Great Avatar!

Angela, what you can plant now will depend on your climate zone. Take a look... http://mgonline.com/media/Images/z/zm_oh.jpg and if you are in the 5's you can plant about anything. If you are in the 6's, I'd say listen to dgramie...squash, cukes, beans, tomatoes, peppers...any warm-season veggies. You are late for cole crops, like broccoli, cabbage etc. and probably too late for lettuce/spinach/etc.

Ruth, My friend, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I started this in 2005! And I'm still not where I should be. It's darn annoying.

Terri, OUCH! Falling off a picnic table can't be good! Hope you feel better quick.

Gosh, you guys have been so busy and I don't have time to do more replies...Hope you all are doing well and having a good week! But for now I have to go.

Last edited by Lilion; 06-09-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #19  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

3 bad days of eating, and the scale was up 6 pd this morning. I KNOW I didn't eat 21,000 extra calories in 3 days, so I'm not really worried. But it's a bummer when I know I could have done so much better. Oh well, Scarlet O'Hara may wait until "Tomorrow is another day", but for me TODAY is another day, right?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #20  

Smile Another Scarlet!

I loved that movie. Scarlet had a way of putting things off too, didn't she Val? I will think about that tomorrow. I am afraid I had too many of those days. LOL! That is why my big old butt is still so big!

Now I have squash and more squash than I want all of a sudden. We have had so much rain until the poor things should have drowned. Our tomatoes are splitting open from too much water. I suppose sometime today I will boil the squash and package some for the freezer. I will probably make a casserole out of some of it. There are lots of recipes for them. They are very good, but I am not sure that should be on my plan.

I think I am watching the tomatoes too close, waiting for one to ripen. LOL!
I love a tomato sandwich made with a good ripe tomato. Yummy! The drawback to that is the mayo, and a tomato sandwich with out mayo just won't do.

Well ladies, no news is good news, so they say, and I have none. Take care, Ruth
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #21  

Height: 5'7"

Iwillbe- my mom slices squash and just throws it in the bag and into the freezer.She said you dont have to parboil it.

up and ready for hubbys stress test..thought i would check in before we leave.
hugs to all
Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #22  

Smile

Ruthie, you need to make my Skillet Zucchini! I have it published, no easy feat, so I'm posting the link to my Allrecipes.com site...where you can review and rate it, (Heather, if that's not cool please delete it, but I don't think they sell anything...) but I'm also posting the recipe with all the substitutions I use to make it more healthy...because as published, it's NOT!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Skillet...ni/Detail.aspx

Skillet Zucchini
Butter or Olive Oil cooking spray
6 medium zucchini, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
4 slices of the boxed, pre-cooked bacon or turkey bacon
salt and pepper to taste
2 T water
low-fat bread crumbs (I make my own from the heels of light breads we buy)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 to 1 cup shredded 2% Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Spray large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion, tomatoes, and bacon. Season with salt and pepper, and pour in water. Cover, and cook 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
Add bread crumbs to thicken and soy sauce into the skillet, and sprinkle on Cheddar cheese. Cover, and continue cooking 2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.

I can't wait until I get zucchini and tomatoes!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #23  
Renaissance Woman

Every summer I'm reminded of a short story I once read about the zucchini harvest in a small town, how the neighbors delighted in their crop of tender, young zucchini that they lovingly picked and steamed every day. Soon, they would skip searching for fresh squash for a day or two, only to find more zucchini than they could eat in a day, so they scrambled to share new recipes in an effort to build new excitement for the same old vegetable. By the end of the summer, caches of slightly overgrown gourds were left at the neighbor's front doors in the pre-dawn hours before the veg-offering could be turned down.

My mom only planted two zucchini plants this year, finally. And I'm already getting veggie caches!

Georgia
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #24  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

Biceps and back muscle workout last night. No major problems stemming from it so far.

BUT, I ended up going to bed with Ben Gay last night. My legs are still burning and quite sore to walk (stairs are the killer) from the workout a couple nights ago when I did leg muscles and shoulders. Uggh.

Tonight is triceps and chest. I'll pay for that in 24 hrs, I'm sure. They say that once you've worked out all body parts a few times hard, you don't get that kind of pain after similar regular workouts going forward... I hope!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #25  
BELIEVE!

Hi Gals!

Not much time to chat so I'm popping in for a quickie Hello! I'm headed out for my Birthday workout! Yep...I'm 39 today! When I started this weight loss journey last August I said I'd be at my goal weight by my 40th Bday. So far, so good....down 110 pounds (depending on the day) since my last Birthday!

I'm celebrating with a workout and then dinner with the boys. Still haven't decided what we are having. It will be reasonable, yet yummy and maybe a little indulgent. I told DH no cake this year. I did however pick up cupcakes from a local bakery. Just enough that we each have a Bday treat and there is no leftover cake hanging around.

I'll catch up with you fantastic friends later!

Barb
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #26  
Renaissance Woman

Kootch, I'm just getting back into my upper body workout after recovering from a strained rotator cuff. I spent several months doing shoulder strengthening exercises before my doctor would let me lift again. I'm looking forward to working back up to my previous strength level.

What does your routine look like? Have you been weight training long? Have you heard of Tom Venuto? I credit him for getting me into the weight training and I just love it! His websites are very sales-oriented, but once I got past that and into the actual information and the Burn-the-Fat-Feed-the Muscle community, I've received a lot of good help and support. And I also use The New Rules of Lifting for Women, which is also very informative.

It's true that the pain from weight lifting will eventually go away. I did it for two weeks straight before I stopped feeling so sore. And then during week three, I started to experience the endorphins! And that's what got me hooked to weight training.

Keep up the awesome progress! So nice to have a guy here!

Georgia
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #27  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
[B][COLOR="Teal"]

What does your routine look like? Have you been weight training long? Have you heard of Tom Venuto?
Georgia
I've heard many great things about Tom.

I'm doing the following splits:
Day 1 - chest/triceps
Day 2 - legs/shoulders
Day 3 - back and biceps

I do 3 sets per machine, with 8-12 reps per. I usually do a couple weight machines per body part. I make sure the weights are about right so that in the final set, I'm at exhaustion on about the 8th rep, give-or-take.

I (my training partner and I) am doing 4-5 days a week in the weight room - couple days on, rest day, couple days on, rest day etc.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- That's a fine site and yummy sounding recipe! I think I will plant zucchini next year.

Our tomatoes are nowhere near ripe yet!

I gave my last exam today and am grading away...

Last edited by Heather; 06-10-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #29  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Thanks everyone for all the welcome-homes, and the gardening advice, and especially for the zone map, Lilion. I don't know if I'm going to find time to get things planted or not. I'm still trying to find someone to move me at the end of the month and trying to catch up on all the projects that weren't getting done while I was in Ohio.

But hey, I'm in 5b, so evidently I can plant whatever I want!

Heather: YAY! Summer's almost here! (Gosh you go so late.)

Geo: Hope you've been getting more rest.

Kootch: Sorry I missed your arrival. Welcome!

Everyone I missed: STAY COOL AND OP, CHICKS.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather - it's not too late to start zucchini - from seed. You will be surprised how quickly they grow and produce. One note - do not put your charcoal ashes on them - too much nitrogen - they will think they are flowers to be cut and put in a vase on the dining room table rather than producing something yummy to eat. Buy the cheapest packet of seeds you can find - even better if you have an old time seed store get 1/4 scoop.
Closed Thread