Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #31  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Sue,

I'm so sorry tou got caught up in the downsizing that's running rampant right now. Update that resume. Look into different types of jobs. There's something out there for you and you WILL find it.

Last edited by j-ann; 01-29-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #32  
BELIEVE!

Sue - Sorry to hear about the job...and the car. Keep your chin up!

I hope everyone is doing well....drinking your water, making healthy food choices, moving your bodies....
Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sue --
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I had a nice workout at the fitness center tonight. I did 45 minutes again on the elliptical. I came home and told my husband that I was going to have to find a new place to work out. was on the elliptical, just getting started, and in comes the doc again. In his vet coveralls. Okay, I can handle that - he's 70 and he's working on his health. Then to my horror, in comes the young vet. The really cute one. At least he put on workout clothes. Then he gets on a treadmill and starts off running. Its hard enough being on fitness equipment in front of people but for it to be some young dude that came in and start pounding it out on the treadmill. Oy! Especially one that you know and is so damn nice. At least I was able to finish my 45 minutes without dying. I lasted longer on the elliptical than he did on the treadmill.

Sue - In your field, is that something that contractors do? A friend of mine who got laid off went to work for Resources Consulting so he could keep benefits and work while looking for something more permanent and hopefully find a contractor to hire situation.

I'm headed off to bed. Goodnight!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #35  
BELIEVE!

Terri - Yay on the elliptical!!!! You go girl!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #36  

Terri -- Yay for keeping going there! A number of my students and colleagues work out at my gym and occasionally I'm working out in their general vicinity... I just try not to think about it...

I feel like I'm on the treadmill of life -- but someone keeps raising the incline and speed on me... I'm getting buried under grading and other work!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #37  

Sue I'm just so sorry to hear about your job. The car is just insult to injury. Take a few days to regroup and I'll keep thinking good thoughts for you! :

Terri, I can't imagine 45 minutes on the elliptical...You must have the heart and lungs of a racehorse! I'm darn lucky to exceed 20 and really, I don't even try to.

Heather, I know JUST how you feel. I have so much to do that I just kind of sit and look at it sometimes and don't know where to start! But I suppose, given that it's 8:30 and I should have been doing office work for 1/2 hour now, I should start somewhere and soon.

No Infernal Machine for me today, tonight is my fan fighting class. It is really cool and I'm enjoying it. Last week was especially good in that we newcomers started learning the kata, it's like a dance! I stink at it, but I expect everyone does at first. There are some pretty cool photos on their website - I don't know if they'll allow the link, but don't see why they wouldn't so I'll give it a try. http://ama-dojo.com/album/album/41762

Anyway, I should get to work!

Last edited by Lilion; 01-30-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Sue - so sorry about the job. What field are you in? Take a deep breath and then another one. Hugs.

Terri - wow on the elliptical - I don't know what my problem is with it but I can only do 5 minutes. I'm impressed with all of you who do so much time on it. Isn't it nice to be outside and do the hound walking too - I'm looking forward to the weekend where we can head to the park - maybe we should look at the Dog n Jog in the fall - my girls are a bit too social and it might take forever to complete.

Barb - you are amazing - I love watching your strength and I feed off of it - thank you.

Heather - how's the grading?

Lilion - did you get all the snow? I hope you have a warm weekend like we should here.

I'm feeling a little like Heather this week - very tough work week - things just kept piling on. I made it through, made good choices and didn't miss any exercise. We are 2 weeks away from vacation - I was hoping my first trip there would not be as "morbidly obese" but depending on the next 2 weeks it may well be. I think I need to let go of that thought and just keep doing what I know I need to do - let go of the mental block. I honestly have no idea when the last time was that I was not morbidly obese - certainly over 20 years.

Keep making good choices, moving your bodies and drinking your water.

Hugs to all,
Carol

Val - where are you??????
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #39  

Morning ladies,

I think my ability to do the elliptical comes from when I did so much bike riding in my 30's and early 40's. I used to train to ride in the MS 150's and I rode 20-50 miles in a session. I miss that. I have discovered that when I crank the level up on the elliptical it "feels" like it did when I was riding and I like that feeling. I don't always go fast on the elliptical and I don't always do the arms so that helps with longevity. The other thing I learned bike riding was how to avoid the "sucking wind" feeling. Lamaze breathing. When faced with a long, steep hill I'd get into easy gears and methodically crank and two breaths in and two breaths out so that I could make it. While other people where trying to attack the hill, they'd get so out of breath and just barely make it - I'd get to the top, shift gears and take off. I use that breathing on the elliptical. I think I'm also helped by the fact that I've been walking and biking on a somewhat almost regular basis since early 30's and my body "remembers". Sound stupid?

Carol - OH YES! I must do the dog 'n jog with Duke! He would love that! How far? Okay, so we've got the Trolly Run in April and you mentioned another one in May. I've got hiking boots ordered so the hounds and I can go to a local conservation area to walk. I'm so excited! Hey, you've been doing great so go enjoy that vacation. Is it a cruise? But make it a different vacation by taking your exercise gear and make healthy eating choices!

Lilion - You're the one that inspired me to try on the elliptical in the first place and I think you're doing great. I think its cool that you're doing the fan fighting class. I would probably have to have a few drinks in order to work up the nerve to do that. Work away!

Heather - Don't let the treadmill of life fling you up against the wall!! Breathe deeply and run with control!

Speaking of work away, I better get to it. to all!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #40  

Carol - Just looked it up. The Dog 'n Jog is scheduled for June 14 this year. One mile and two miles!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 01-30-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: my typo bothered me :D
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #41  

Terri - the Heart Walk is May 30 - the weekend after Memorial Day - on the Plaza - one mile or 4 miles. I friend last night at the hospital gym said after they are going to try to set a Guiness Book of World Records record for most people doing CPR at one point.

Dog n Jog is where?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #42  

Its also on the Plaza.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #43  

The lab and labradoodle say "SIGN ME UP"
Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #44  

Hi ladies!

When I first tried the elliptical, I couldn't do 2 minutes. I just built up slowly. I actually like it a lot now.

I got a lot done yesterday (and had to just let go of the things that couldn't get done because people are out sick). And I feel a little more like I might be able to keep my head above water. But I have to do some grading both days this weekend. I should be exercising right now... I've got a lot to do today to keep on track!

Last night I went to bed at 8:30. Not sure I slept very well, but I got more sleep than any other night this week.

Let's all take a deep breath (and let it out) and get eating right and moving. I skipped the gym yesterday, so I have to do 70 min of exercise today to meet my January goal!

Last edited by Heather; 01-31-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #45  

Heather - it was the same for me almost a year ago too. I barely got the two minutes done without embarassing myself and was too intimidated to try again for a while. It made the muscles right about my knees hurt for a long time. Biking and the treadmill helped build those muscles so I could build up time.

Today is going to be a nice day. I won't make it to the fitness center today but I will be outside working the horses in the round pen and walking with the hounds. I have to do at least 40 minutes of cardio to make my weekly cardio goal today. I've got lots of studying to get done, housecleaning, laundry, more studying, get a few things on ebay and cooking so its going to be a busy weekend.

I am going to do some dog food cooking this weekend plus I've got several recipes for DH to be making. Pork chop bake over hash browns (fresh potatoes) and sour cream (nonfat) and cheese (lowfat). Chipotle beef black bean soup. Lowfat chicken burritos. Vegetable barley soup.

Better get back to the books! to all!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 01-31-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread