Old 03-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #1  

Default suggestions for exercise equipment at home

I have really bad knees and need to start building up my quad's to improve my ability to walk normally. When the weather breaks I will be able to do pool exercises but in the mean time I would like to start an Indoor exercise activity but can't find any equipment that I would be comfortable on and be able to use regularly.

any good idea's ????

Renita
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #2  
Proud Army Mom

S/C/G: 319.2/265/160

Height: 5'6"

I have started using a resistance band....its a long rubber band and you can do searches online for specific exercises for different body parts....very low impact but effective. you can get them at walmart or online.
DMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #3  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

What is with all these peices of equipment that have weight limits? Trampoline is 250 lbs, stepper 250 lbs, some stationary bikes are. I would like to do more things than dvds. Should I heed warnings or just ignore them?
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 342.4/288.4/160.33338

Height: 5'8

Definately listen to the weight limits on the mini-trampolines. I had one of those in high school and I think I weighed about 215 then (if i remember correctly, the weight limit was 250). Anyways, I was doing my joggy-jog one day and BAM! One of the springs broke and one side of the material fell out. My feet slid off and under the frame and I landed on my bottom on the other side of the frame. It a wonder I didn't break something. Now I would probably break multiple things if that happened, I guess I was tougher when I was 14.
candogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, the weight limits are there becuz the machine won't work properly for you; and you may get hurt as CANDO says. At first, on my treadmill, the tread wouldn't move smoothly; later when I lost lots of weight, it started moving so fast that I fell. That scared me so bad that I haven't been on it since. We tried slowing it down, but it has a bottom speed and I walk like a snail becuz of injuries: I fractured one leg and dislocated the other knee.

So I am limited on what types of machines I can use; so I just went back to plain old-fashioned WALKING and SKI-WALKING for winter (regular walking with ski-poles for my arms which gives a whole body workout). Later on, I added my rowing machine, which I just use the arm motions and will add legs later. I still think your body has the best built-in exercise: WALKING. You can do speed-walking or sprint-walking if you need more resistance.

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote