Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default Losing weight is so hard....

How do you get it in your mind set to not eat constantly all day long. I never feel full. I am bad when it comes to breakfast as I don't usually eat breakfast because I just don't have time for me for it(gotta get the kids ready for school) and I just don't feel like eating in the morning. I do eat lunch, snack in the afternoon, eat supper, snack after the kids go to bed....but when I eat I over do it. Plus I so need to get my butt off the chair/couch and get moving, but I just don't have the energy to do so(I don't sleep well at night). I just feel like a sloth.
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/230/145

Height: 5'6"

For me Im not a morning eater either Ive been trying to something quick though cause like you my mornings are busy I have 5 kiddos ages 8 and under...LOL
Ive been trying to do sugar free jello glass of 1% milk and maybe a slice of whole grain toast.... Those are all quick things I can grab and eat quick while Im running around....
Something else I found out for myself awhile ago is I thought I was always hungry but I ate more out of being bored than being hungry! So I really just try to stay on the go and busy!
Gook Luck Sweetie!
PrimChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

if you are always hungry, then maybe it is the type of foods you are eating. Do you eat a lot of processed foods? Refined carbs? Sugar?

Do you eat a lot of filling foods such as vegetables? High fiber foods? Lean proteins?

Also if you start exercising, you will get more energy. Starting may be the hard part but once you get there, your energy will increase and you will sleep better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #4  

I do eat all day. Every 2-3 hours I am eating something. I have to eat breakfast (typically cereal) and that starts the day off good. Snack at 10:00 ish, lunch at 12:30, snack at 3:00, dinner 5-6:00, snack at 7:30. As long as I have something every couple of hours, it keeps me on track. Its the days that I get out of that routine and go long hours without eating something that I feel most likely to stray to bad food choices. Find whatever works best for you and stick to it, but remain flexible in order to change things up if need be. Hang in there...you can do it!!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I was just posting in the "Chicks in Control" section about something similar to this. It's like I have this desire to just EAT all the time, even if I'm not physically hungry. Similarly, if I'm not FULL, then I feel like I'm hungry, if that makes sense. So I end up eating a LOT of food every time I eat anything at all. And it's not all junk food--I can cram 110+ grams of protein and 40+ grams of fiber into my diet every single day and still have this problem. I can just as easily gorge myself on lean chicken breast or fresh strawberries as I can on cookies and chips.

I have come to realize that I can NOT rely on my body to tell me when (and when not) to eat, or even when to stop eating once I've started. Because I can't rely on my body for those cues, it takes a lot more effort mentally than for most people. It is HARD, and it is an ongoing learning process, but it is possible.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #6  
Just Me

Jill,

I have a lot of days like you are describing. I have days where I seem like I eat and eat and eat and still feel "empty" and it amazes me. I am a recovering binger so I know what happens if I eat a lot, I will feel so full that I'm sick. I don't know what happens on the days that it just doesn't happen. Again the foods are high fiber/high protein so I think I should reach some level of fulllness but I don't. On those days, I have to be especially careful because my body is sending me confused signals so I know I have to not rely on it.

Then there are the days when I don't eat as well as I should and I start getting major cravings and hunger and I know it is because of poor food choices.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

My advice comes from YEARS of yo-yo dieting (unfortunately). I also suffer from the compulsion/need/habit(?) of constant snacking, especially in the evenings. During the times of my life (when I was much younger) when I was in more control of my weight, I only overcame this need to eat by following a very rigid food plan, usually one that strictly limited (or eliminated) starches, carbs, sweets, etc. I have found that if I ever take "one bite" or "one serving" -- that's it. I'm in it whole-hog! (pardon the analogy -- but that is sometimes how I feel after a long feeding frenzy).

I know this is tough to do when you have other people in the household to consider and to shop for -- but it's all that works for me.
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #8  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I really agree with you, OK Lizzy. If I take a bite of chocolate ice cream I will eat the entire container! I have to stay away from all simple sugars and simple carbs. Right now I'm on SB phase one and too afraid to move to phase 2 becuase I'm afraid of the cravings. Drinking alot of water helps me feel full. Also I always prepare my snacks in the morning and eat them everyday at the same time, so I don't get hunger pangs. I could still literally eat all day long, but if I keep my self busy it's not as bad.
Holdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I think eating breakfast has helped me quite a bit - and choosing items like oatmeal that will fill me up for longer. I agree with Nelie to take a look at what types of food you're eating and see if perhaps you should add more nutrient and fiber-rich foods.

Of course, there's a difference between physical hunger and mental hunger - that's something else you have to look at. When you get the urge to eat, is it actual hunger or something else that's driving that emotion?
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #10  

I wasn't a breakfast eater either. I had to teach myself to eat breakfast. It does help to eat one. But what I eat makes a huge difference - if I start the day with a cinnamon sugar bagel, then I may as well write the whole day off as one big carbfest. A piece of fruit and some yogurt (not the really sugary stuff) or low fat cheese are grab-n-go things that work on hectic days. My 14 year old is the first one up in the morning and makes himself eggs and v-8 juice every morning. (Where DID he come from?????)
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi KncMamma!

I find that it is BEST to eat all day long because doing so really helps keep the blood sugar steady. I just have to watch WHAT I eat so that I don't go crazy with calories!

As several others have said, make SURE that you have some protein at every meal and also drink plenty of water. I LOVE G.G. Bran Crispbread (like a Wasa cracker) spread with LIte Laughing Cow cheese. There's lots of fiber there that also keeps me full.

Yes, exercise is important, but until some weight comes off and you feel lighter, it IS hard to get moving! I weighed close to what you weigh when I began. I felt that I needed to first take off a few pounds and then begin some walking. Some do both at once, but it was more helpful to me to lose about 15 lbs. first. After that I felt lighter and had more energy TO walk.

Try a few things first like watching fats and eliminating fast foods. DEFINITELY have a good breakfast! Sometimes I have a grilled chicken breast from the night before if I am in a hurry. I eat it cold from a Zip-loc bag! You can stuff it in a whole wheat pita if you have a few more seconds, too! My son who lost 75 pounds recently loves Carnation Instant Breakfast. That can go with you out the door in a car mug!

Stick with us! You'll do this!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #12  
Just Me

I wouldn't be too hesitant to start some exercise program although you do have to do it for your level of fitness. I've done exercise throughout my weight loss including my highest weight.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #13  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am like Peggy, and plan meals/snacks pretty much all day. I eat around the same times she does too. Knowing that there is a meal or snack coming up quite soon seems to keep the cravings at bay and I also don't have to feel really full after a meal, as I know it won't be long before I eat again. This has REALLY helped me.

I agree with everyone else that breakfast is SO important. There are many options that are light and quick, but will get your metabolism started for the day. This will even out your blood sugars (if they are low GI) and hopefully reduce the cravings later in the day.

Exercise may be hard at first, but I started out very early in my journey as I know it takes BOTH for me to lose weight successfully. I also find that I sleep better if I have been exercising regularly. I am a morning person, so I get up earlier each morning to get my exercise in. I just end up going to bed a little earlier to make up for it and that is fine by me.

I hope you can find a way to get through this frustrating time.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote