Old 07-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #1  
Fit by 50

S/C/G: 243/243/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Goal: Fit before 40

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a 37 yr old mom of 2, work full time, 6 days a week. I stepped on the scale the other day and found I had hit 220. I had once swore I would never allow myself over 200, until life happened. I'm trying to cut excuses and make it happen. I don't expect to be any kind of 22 yr old pre-baby weight (although one can wish), but I'd like to at least get into a healthy weight range. It's not about skinny for me (although fitting clothes better will be a perk). I have a man that loves me and finds me attractive no matter my size, but wants me healthy, as I need to be for me and for my kids. As he said, "I don't want to lose you to a heart attack."

Looking for buddies on this getting fit journey!
BabyMama37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #2  
Faking it 'til I feel it

S/C/G: 210/190/133

Hi, I'll be a buddy. It sounds like we have a lot in common. Like you my next 'big birthday' will be my 40th and I'm also desperate to be fitter and healthier for my family as well as for myself before then. I'm not planning any more children, so my body now is what I'm left with, and as Im already finding that weight loss is harder as we get older, I'm very keen to sort it out sooner rather than later!

I'm doing weightwatchers, this isn't my first attempt at losing weight, and I'm a mum of 2 from the UK

Let's do this, BRING IT ON!!
EnolaAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/176/140

Height: 5'4

I'm brand new and looking for friends. I have a goal of being super fit by 40. I'll be 36 in a couple months so I have the time to really change my lifestyle.

Since my kids are all in school I have nobody to chase and play with. That coupled with a med that made me gain 30 pounds in 6 months has left me depressed and discouraged.

I know I have to make to the move. I need to move my body and eat the right way. I don't eat junk food. But I might have an issue with emotional eating.

Anyway, I want to be my better self!
SheaBdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #4  
Fit by 50

Hi gals! I'd love to be buddies with you both!

I managed to somehow trim 3 pounds this week and I didn't make too many changes yet. I workout out (best I could) one night, tried to stay a little more active and a little less time sitting on the computer, and started watching what I put in my mouth.

I don't emotionally eat too much, but I eat out of boredom, especially when seated at a computer or tv. So, today at work (I sit at a desk at a computer all day), I brought a whole container of cut up fresh veggies, light swiss cheese, sea salt pita chips (I need crunchy salty), and a pear. Good munchy foods that won't kill my calories.

I've decided not to do any fad diets because I know I fail them. I have cravings and it's best to give in to them a little bit because otherwise I will eat everything in sight lol. So, I am not denying myself, only limiting. For example, I will allow myself a can of coke (2 max) a day because I am addicted. I don't drink coffee, coke is my coffee. lol I also know how much each can impacts my food for the rest of the day, so it forces me to make good choices to keep the coke or exercise more to work it off. So, it's a reward in itself.

I can't eat or drink anything with fake sugars, so can't limit calories that way. I have fibromyalgia and the fake sugars (even splenda) set me off.

I want to start working out 15 mins a day at least to get going, since I am very out of shape.

Enola, I did WW before. I like it but can't afford to pay for the program, but I keep the things i learned in it in mind, like - FIBER! is important.

My caloric goal is 2000 right now, based on my weight loss goals. Very doable, I think. I don't like counting calories, I'd rather do it the WW way, but I don't know any free trackers to do that.

Welcome buddies! My first mini goal is 198, 10% loss. What are your goals and what are you doing currently to meet them? Let's hold each other accountable
Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I'm a bit younger (31) with 3 kids (4 year old, 2 year old and a 2 week old). But my goal and motivation is pretty similar. I'm not focused on a change in appearance, I want to make sure I give my kids a good example of what it means to lead a healthy, balanced life. And I want to set myself up to have the best odds of maintaining my health as I get older.

My first goal is to just keep focusing on healthier eating habits (I also need to respect my cravings). And to slowly start incorporating exercise into my day again. I'm waiting for my 3 weeks postpartum checkup before I step on a scale.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #6  
Faking it 'til I feel it

S/C/G: 210/190/133

Hello again,

BabyMama - well done on your loss this week Yes I agree ww is expensive. I used to go to meetings, but this time round I'm doing it online, mainly because I can't get to a meeting at the moment. It's still a very good plan and I find it much easier than counting calories, but not having a meeting to attend does mean I don't have that extra accountability which I found helpful in the past.

My first few mini goals are -

Down to 12 1/2 stone (175lb) by beginning September (for the new school term)
Under 12 stone (168lb) by end October (for a family party)
Under 11 1/2 (161lb) stone by Christmas

I like to use events as milestones, if I look at my overall goal I get a bit overwhelmed!! I've tried to make them achievable so I don't get disheartened and give up.

SheaBdoll - yes, this is as much about fitness as it is weight loss for me too. I've never really done any proper physical activity at all. I've pretty much abused my poor body all my life, treating it like its my enemy. Yet it managed to produce 2 amazing children, so I suppose its about time I started taking care of it.

I'm doing couch to 5K, and that's going well at the moment. I'm on week 7 of 9. I'm running for longer than I ever thought I could but I need to improve my pace. I suppose that will happen over time as long as I keep going.

CanadianMomma - congratulations on your new addition!! Enjoy those lovely newborn snuggles xx
EnolaAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #7  
Fit by 50

Sorry gals that it took me so long to respond. It was a busy weekend. So it looks like my 3 pounds lost was really only 1. Sigh. Oh well. That's what a period does to the body, I guess. Here's a little update:

Didn't exercise like I should have this past week. It's so hard to fit it in when the kids are home. I did swim a bit when I took the kids to the water park, but not laps, because too many people were about. I did spend time treading water, so I was at least moving.

I have leads on a couple of bike for the kids, so hopefully I will make myself workout this week while the kids are gone and will be able to take bike rides with them when they come home.

I'm still trying to be aware of what goes in my mouth, but admit the weekend was difficult.

I think I have decided a bit of interval training is best for me. I know it's worked in the past and it will allow me to build up strength and endurance over time. So what if I can only exercise for five minutes at a time (huffing and puffing exercise), if I rest a few minutes and then go at it again, then at least I am still doing it. Before long I will be able to go longer intervals.

Wish there was an easier way for us all to stay in touch to encourage each other and stay accountable.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/170/130

Height: 5'4"

Default joining!

I am also a few months from 36 and now that I've had 2 kids I am ready to take back my body! I am so out of shape and I want to be able to run around with them as they get older.
Mission2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #9  
Fit by 50

I've been absent from 3FC for a little bit. I wish there was a way to do this (work together, encourage each other, etc) via FB or something, because I tend to need a bit more contact than what I am finding here in the forum. Sigh. I was down a few pounds, then up a few. Back where I started today.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #10  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Hey babymama,

I'm 30. I go to school full-time. No children.

Last month I got enough courage to step on the scale and was 221.5 too.

Like you, I'm not dieting or counting calories, just making lifestyle changes. In 3.5 weeks I've dropped 13lbs by cutting the junk food and processed food. And not snacking out of boredom. My husband is a major snacker so I buy snacks that I won't get into (no more cookies for him unfortunately). Lots of protein, eggs, veggies, and fruit. I have a bit of fiber one cereal in the morning to er, keep things moving. I don't drink anything but water or tea (without milk or sugar). Drastic measures aren't always required to successfully lose weight, just mindfulness (which is difficult enough) and eating some more boring foods for a while.

My exercise is modest because I have MS. I walk our dog 1.5 miles every morning, sometimes again in the evening. And I'm riding a stationary bike 3-4 times a week so far. I plan on stepping it up in the next few weeks and adding some strength training.

I think your plan to bike with your children is excellent. Its tricky to find time for yourself being a working mom, so the more activities that you find to do with your family that don't involve eating or sitting the better.

How is your eating? What things are working for you and what aren't? Are you having trouble with junk food in the house for other family members? Preparing healthy dinners that the entire family will eat? Eating crap you shouldn't at work because people bring it in? Sounds like you have a lot going on, is overeating when stressed an issue for you?

How are you doing managing your pop addiction? Are you still limiting it to two? How is your water intake?

Lets figure out how to get this to work for you.

Last edited by leopardspots; 08-06-2015 at 02:47 PM.
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #11  
Fit by 50

Hi leopardspots!

My Pop addiction is - for the most part - under control at 2 avg a day (usually only one or two). I've been trying to only keep pop at my office, because I "need" it for the caffeine and not have it at home so that I force myself to drink more water. But, hubby brought home a 24 pk - for me. He does things like that a lot, especially with food. He is happy with me, no matter my shape, and truth be told, prefers a little more "meat". He frequently brings home food late at night - for me. It's his way of showing me he's thinking of me and wanting to make sure I feed myself. It's a expression of love from him. Usually it's been several hours since dinner, so I think, yea, I could eat and I often eat it out of obligation because he was so kind to think of me. Last night he brought me home a shwarma wrap. I asked him to put it in the fridge so I could have it for lunch. He didn't seem upset, so I think that is what I will do in the future.

I've been trying to keep veggies and fruit around to munch, but I also love my crackers and cheese. On the week when I have my kids I cook meals and do well. On the week without my kids I just grab whatever is easy. This week has been chips and avocado mixed with salsa. A half an avocado at a time. Oh and the chocolate/ice cream craving kicked in because of PMS. Weekends have been a bust for healthy eating because of vacations we've been going on. His family brought their own food and although it's very good, I am sure there were many calories. BUT, we did walk a lot.

We're going on vacation again this weekend to an amusement park and then the beach. I expect much exercise. We're packing our own snacks and lunches, but breakfast and dinner will be challenging. Hopefully the exercise will make up for it.

I'm actually starting to look forward to school being back in session because every week is routine.

Would anyone here like to make a connection outside of 3FC to keep up with each other and help each other more regularly?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #12  
Fit by 50

How much do you all gain/lose around your period? I'm trying not to get bummed out. I was down to 118.3, and today found out I am back at 220.5. It's only been a few days and I know I have been guzzling water... hopefully just water retention?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #13  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

I don't even weigh myself around TOM. I go up anywhere 2-5lbs. Then I get a woosh.

You disclosed that you have fibro. How under control is that? Do you think medications interfering with your ability to lose weight? your ability to exercise? If so, how so? Does weight gain affect your pain levels?

Just curious, did you use a calculator to come up with a figure of 2000 calories? Or speak to a doctor about it? I'm certainly not a doctor or a nutritionist, but 2000 seems high when your not doing high intensity exercise on a regular basis. I certainly couldn't lose weight eating that many calories, but then I don't know about you, what your metabolism is like, what meds you are on etc.

If you want a suggestion, I think maybe a good goal for you might be to cut the night-time eating. That means having a conversation with your hubby. My husband was very much like this too. He'd feel uncomfortable picking up something to eat and not getting me something too. And it is a way of showing me love. But I had to tell him to stop, and let him buy stuff for just for himself and be okay with it. It takes some practice, its a new habit to form, but it can make a big impact. Tell your husband that you are trying to get your weight down. Tell him why, especially your health reasons why.

I get that you are limiting it at work, but pop coming into the house needs to be an absolute no-no now, unless its pop you won't drink. Its not just the empty calories that kill you, its the SALT and the sugar spike and the resultant insulin spike too. Thats why people don't lose with diet pops either. Putting your late night snacks in the fridge for the next day is a step in the right direction, but the temptation would be difficult if you were hungry. Obligation eating is detrimental. You do have to get your family somewhat on-board or you won't have much success.

I think its great that your family is active, doing lots of trips that involve a lot of walking. Walking is great and it is absolutely enough for most people to lose weight when coupled with a healthy diet. But it doesn't cancel out a crappy diet.

I see that you want more accountability, more interaction. You won't get that on this forum I think. WW would be a good way for you to go. Is it completely cost prohibitive to you? Even to go for 3 months just to get started and make some progress?

Keep working at this. At this point, I think its very important for you to come up with a couple of strategies that do work, to get some wins under your belt so you are motivated to keep going. You can do it.
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #14  
Fit by 50

leopardspots -

My fibro is essentially "under control". I've been off pain killers for 6 years now. I weaned off the neurontin about a year or so ago. Mostly I take vitamins and minerals now, as well as my levothyroxine for my hashimoto's and a low dose of Lexapro for major depression. The rest is Fish oil, coQ10, Vit D3 (mega, mega doses), Magnesium, B-Complex and B12 and sometimes iron. I know I should get more iron, but the constipation is just too much to deal with. I cut out fake sugars like splenda and aspartame. I found that cutting those out relieved a lot of my fibro symptoms. I still have some issues with rainy weather and such, but even one drink with splenda in it sent me into a tizzy for two days.

I have pretty decent self control. I won't devour something just because it is there. Even the ice cream I've had this week were in small, one-cup bowls so I couldn't overdo it. I find that if I don't give into a craving a little here and there that I WILL devour everything else in sight trying to get that satisfaction. Even candy bars I rarely eat in one sitting. Usually, I just need a bite or two and I am good. I don't really eat that unhealthily, so I know my greatest challenge is watching what I snack on and getting more exercise.

It was FitDay that told me the caloric intake, but I think I may have done something wrong, it seemed awfully high for weight loss too.

I have done WW in the past and although I liked it, I can't afford it. and I am simply not very good at tracking numbers.

Hubby and kids actually are on board with the weight loss for health goal. Hubby eats very healthy most of the time, but he rarely eats meals at home, just his bowl of fruit at the end of the night. So, although he knows I cook dinner every night, for some reason he assumes I feed the kids and then kip dinner or something lol. I think putting his love gifts of food in the fridge for the next day's lunch will work great for me.

I have figured out that accountability and contact in this forum will indeed not be enough, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to get a smallish group to be willing to go on FB, Google, or maybe even Skype to stay in touch. I'm also considering creating a meetup in my area try to recruit some weight loss buddies nearby.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #15  
Fit by 50

Update:
I lost 5 pounds!

I've successfully cut my Coca-cola intake down to 2 12 oz cans a day (and no more) and drinking water the rest of the day. I keep my soda a work so I don't cheat at home.

I started taking my metformin again, which my doctor has me on, not for any sugar reasons, but PCOS reasons (I believe - she hasn't come right out and said it, but she keeps me on it to prevent diabetes, because my mom has it, even though my levels are normal - AND mostly because it seems to keep my cycles regular). Since being back on it, the weight just dropped suddenly. I had lost 2.5 from increasing my exercise - we did a LOT of walking during some summer family trips. I'm also not feeling as hungry lately, which really helps. I've been keeping spicy chips (usually multi grain) near me for my crunchy salty cravings. I can only eat a few at a time, so it keeps the snacking at a minimum.

How have you all been doing?